Thailand’s deadly roads: 72 people killed on Monday, almost 12,000 killed this year

webfact

3 hours ago, garyk said:

After getting caught in the holiday traffic in Thailand a couple of time and seeing a few people run over I vowed to never drive on a holiday again. I would check into a hotel and wait it out. 

It is carnage that has got to be seen to believe.

I drove to kapangpett (probably misspelled) last year for Songkran I told my wife that was the last time I would drive anywhere during a holiday 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

They lack many of the basic skills and habits that make for a competent driver.

They have not received any proper training and the test is nothing more than a joke.

Most of them have been taught by a mate and pick up all bad habits.

I would conservatively suggest 70% of them are not able to operate a motor vehicle correctly.

Sad to say but there's no fixing this, they simply do not have the ability or will to fix this disgraceful problem so it will continue in perpetuity. 

Then the kids are tought by their parents who don't know how to drive so bad driving is passed down plus they're only a few decades from water buffaloes and carts 

12 hours ago, NeoDinosaw said:

When Sweden decided that they would drive on the wrong side of the road (back in the 1960s) by changing from the left-hand side (as in civilised countries such as Thailand and the UK), to the right-hand side,  they put a very strict speed limit for several weeks (or months ?)  so that any accidents would be very minor. I can't remember what the limit was (20 km/h to start ?).    Thailand needs to do something similar then they would see how many lives can be saved.

I know it will never happen.  Just thought I'd thow a different idea into the discussion

I think it was quite a few days before they had even a minor accident at that time.

Without police reform nothing is going to happen. They never patrol the flowing traffic or make ad-hoc roadside controls. Just the same old roadblocks that everyone knows after ten minutes from social media and also they never change the location, day or even time. Very predictable.

• Like 2

This is worse than Covid????????Why is this not a national emergency 72 dead in one day 12,000 for the year????Traffic lockdown required to get these idiotic drivers attention????I put a lot of the blame on the police for not enforcing traffic regulations and unlicensed underage drivers and 5 or more people on a scooter etc etc etc????

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jaiyen said:

A 10 wheel truck with 40 tons of steel mesh !!!  Way overloaded and highly dangerous as was proven.

You might be right, but not necessarily. Lorry's in Denmark has 40 T as max. Sweden higher. (60 T I think)

(OK you don't load with 40 T. as 40 T. is total weight.)

But I agree. the number of dead on the roads always surprise me. The way they drive I would expect it to be much higher.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2020 at 3:49 PM, song0674 said:

It’s crazy how close Thais will tailgate each other. Your meant to leave space of 2-3 car lengths ahead you when driving, especially on highways.

Your typical thai driver follows the car ahead so closely, it’s almost bumper to bumper. How are you meant to stop in time, if the car ahead suddenly brakes?!? This is just basic road safety.

what road safety there is none........but I know how to drive safely......spent 12 month learning in the uk before passing my test first time.....

• Haha 1

saw a farang today on a motorbike going the wrong way at night.  big dea?  nope.  BUT his young son (likely) and wife (likely) were both helmetless behind him on the bike.  now it becomes sad....

i'm sure, sure he knows better......but i guess when in rome......

even if i had no money for a car....i'm just not sure i could do that....  

9 hours ago, Ventenio said:

saw a farang today on a motorbike going the wrong way at night.  big dea?  nope.  BUT his young son (likely) and wife (likely) were both helmetless behind him on the bike.  now it becomes sad....

i'm sure, sure he knows better......but i guess when in rome......

even if i had no money for a car....i'm just not sure i could do that....  

His been around the best teachers in the world.

Now probably  out of total frustrations his succumbed to the Thai way

shame to see it. but very few of us do this.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jorgendk said:

You might be right, but not necessarily. Lorry's in Denmark has 40 T as max. Sweden higher. (60 T I think)

(OK you don't load with 40 T. as 40 T. is total weight.)

But I agree. the number of dead on the roads always surprise me. The way they drive I would expect it to be much higher.

I know that in WA oz that it is 40 ton max. I used to work on new  mobile cranes from China and we had to cheat to get them passed for use, ie very little fuel in tank, same with hydraulic oil, spare wheel off, and remove half the steel rope. (on a side note we had to widen the rear axle by 60 cm because of the height yes they have a law about that to prevent tipping over this is why you will never get me on those tall buses here) 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mike k said:

Then the kids are tought by their parents who don't know how to drive so bad driving is passed down plus they're only a few decades from water buffaloes and carts 

I’m sorry, I disagree. Kids are not ‘taught’ by anyone. Kids see and mimic, hence the mayhem.

• Like 1

From my observations, It's all about discipline, Thais are heavily disciplined from the day they are born to the day they die, don't do this, don't do that, don't say this/that, stand up, sit down, wai, 'respect' elders, don't complain etc,etc. Once behind the wheel of bike/car/bus/truck there is no-one to tell them they are wrong and hide behind heavily tinted windows. It's "get out if you don't like it" and no police to 'discipline' the drivers.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2020 at 4:54 AM, Happyman567 said:

When you see kids riding bikes amongst traffic as young as 10 no helmets and 4 on bike you might as well hang a sign around their necks saying "Please kill me" The keystone cops are nowhere in sight that is the problem

Saw one the cop sitting at set of lights the other day reading a book  Why was he sitting at the lights? They are automatic are they not? He had no intention of grabbing the ones that went through the red lights because plenty did that right before his eyes

Not all junctions are automated and at some the cops switch to manual, mostly to "manage" the motorcades.

Lets get a bit of perspective on the issue:

12,000 dead so far this year, divide that by the passenger capacity of a Thai airways Boeing 747/400 aircraft of 375 total passengers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_Airways_fleet#Current_fleet

That is a grand total of 32, yes 32!!! full to capacity Thai airways Boeing 747's dropping out the sky so far this year, that is scary as <deleted> and only going to get worse and what have Pinocchio and his merry men done about it zero, nada, zilch!!!

Edited by mark131v
Boeing not Boing
  • Like 1

On 11/4/2020 at 4:03 PM, malibukid said:

god forbid if you farang and involved, this is why its stupid to buy a car here and drive.  

I for one, would much rather drive myself than get into a bus, minibus, taxi, songtow etc. driven by an untrained Thai driver.

• Like 2