Living the life as an expat in Thailand

webfact

On 11/7/2020 at 1:27 AM, BritManToo said:

You tend to die before getting to hospital, when you probably wouldn't have died in your home country.

If they save me in NZ I'll be destined for the rest home, which means I'd rather have died.

I'd rather die before reaching the hospital.

I'm thinking of getting DNR tattooed on my chest.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, habuspasha said:

I am hoping to move to Thailand in the next year, after I turn 80.  My GF will be her late 30s.  I don’t mean to boast and I don’t pretend to know what’s in store, and I know my brief visits over the years haven’t prepared me to know what to expect as well as many on this board, but I think some of you are far too pessimistic about life past 70, in Thailand or anywhere.  We live in a remarkable age of medical advancement, nutritional awareness, and interest in exercise.  Thanks to these factors, I feel healthier than I did 30 years ago.  Maybe we are not “as young as the one we feel,” but our moods and expectations are powerful drivers of our health and well-being.  I have known too many guys who almost seemed to will themselves frailer as they ticked off the years, acting according to script.  The surest way to die before 70 may be to convince yourself you will.  Tell yourself it’s only middle age, and you’re more likely to get there.  And enjoy it.

It only takes a serious road accident in LOS to change all your plans. High chance of a serious road accident on Thai roads. I survived many near misses on Thai roads, and had one not my fault requiring surgery.

BTW that was when I realised that something was seriously wrong in the TBL household. My wife had to drive me to the hospital outpatients every day, and did so with great reluctance. Not the actions of a loving wife.

12 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

Or paying your own wife for sex without even knowing it.

I thought we all did that. I don't know any happily married after 10 years, but I'm sure some exist, somewhere. Almost everyone I know had at least one divorce and the rest stay together for the kids or because they are too old to start over.

For some the wife's payoff comes at the divorce, but my wife got the goodies before, and perhaps she realised the cow was dry so agreed to a simple 20 baht divorce.

14 hours ago, sandyf said:

Dogs became an international embarrassment to the Thai government. Maybe you should ask Dame Judi to come and resolve your problem with dogs, not a problem around here, we have 10 dogs and about 60 cats.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/ricky-gervais-and-dame-judi-dench-back-campaign-stop-thailand-dog-meat-trade-9818198.html

Thais apparently don't like to euthanise stray dogs so they get left to become a serious problem. The dog meat thing at least kept some of the numbers down. The problem has to have gotten worse since it was stopped, IMO.

20 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I freely admit to having an aversion and disdain for almost everyone in the world.

Not much hostility or fear though.

And why not?

While I am sympathetic to that view point having been exploited, used and abused by people most of my life, I can say that some of the best things that ever happened to me were done in co operation with others. Had I rejected all people I'd never have had those experiences.

I guess it depends on how one answers the question- "is it better to have loved and lost than never loved at all"?

15 hours ago, sandyf said:

Dogs became an international embarrassment to the Thai government. Maybe you should ask Dame Judi to come and resolve your problem with dogs, not a problem around here, we have 10 dogs and about 60 cats.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/ricky-gervais-and-dame-judi-dench-back-campaign-stop-thailand-dog-meat-trade-9818198.html

They are two of my favourite people.  If you read your quoted article closely, you will see they are campaigning against 'the illegal dog meat trade'. 

I am campaigning against the wild dogs strewn about 7-11s; running unchecked on roads and disturbing my peace. 60 silent cats is infinitely preferable to 10 howling, yapping, barking, baying dogs any hour of the night.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

There are people who can't even make a year full. Buffaloes are sick, mom's got a new bypass in her brain, brother's motorbike is too old and similar stories. 

My partner is cool, I have some friends and I can speak some Thai and Isaan.

Once you have separated the family upfront and at the beginning of the relationship, the rest is smooth sailing, e.g. I married you, not your family, you can either keep supporting your family with money you can earn by working or enjoy this life without suffering financially, that said she does help out when she feels it's necessary for medicines, meals and those sorts of things, as for taking this farang for a ride, she knows, it ain't going to happen, and it isn't in her nature, that said been with her long enough to know her personality and she knows she is on a win/win, so I am fortunate in that regard, however that doesn't stop them asking time and time again. Guess they like being refused loans, you know the ones banks give, so go to the bank, oh, have to pay it back do we, but of course.

13 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

Or paying your own wife for sex without even knowing it.

That is a given, however everytime we complete our swan dance, I always remind her not to forget to leave the money on the table ????

Edited by 4MyEgo

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Thais apparently don't like to euthanise stray dogs so they get left to become a serious problem. The dog meat thing at least kept some of the numbers down. The problem has to have gotten worse since it was stopped, IMO.

Quite, many years ago there were a few practices that helped keep the numbers down but came to an end. The vocalists on the subject did not have to live with the problem and now the government is struggling to find a solution that will not create another outcry. They did suggest making owners more responsible by introducing a licence but that fell apart. People that cannot afford to feed the dogs are not going to pay for a licence and the outcome could have gone the wrong way.

Unfortunately there is no silver bullet, although some ordinary ones could be of some use.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

They are two of my favourite people.  If you read your quoted article closely, you will see they are campaigning against 'the illegal dog meat trade'. 

I am campaigning against the wild dogs strewn about 7-11s; running unchecked on roads and disturbing my peace. 60 silent cats is infinitely preferable to 10 howling, yapping, barking, baying dogs any hour of the night.

The problem you think you now have would be a lot greater if it hadn't been for what took place in previous years.

Those that have effectively created the problem don't have to live with it. 

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If they save me in NZ I'll be destined for the rest home, which means I'd rather have died.

I'd rather die before reaching the hospital.

I'm thinking of getting DNR tattooed on my chest.

Does that work over here 

8 hours ago, sandyf said:

The problem you think you now have would be a lot greater if it hadn't been for what took place in previous years.

Well with a bit of luck the poor and unemployed will become so hungry all the dogs will disappear.

22 hours ago, sandyf said:

You seem to have come round to my way of thinking.

22 hours ago, sandyf said:

there is no silver bullet, although some ordinary ones could be of some use.

The ones who have created the problem?  Is that the Government? Or is it those who continue to feed & keep alive diseased & deformed creatures living in misery.

It's like saying the Government should make laws about tipping rubbish anywhere and everywhere. They have but it doesn't stop the average Thai selectively ignoring rules leaving the area where I live teeming with wild dogs amid a wasteland of rubbish whilst Pattaya's mayor talks of spending billions to create a 'world-class resort.'

On 11/9/2020 at 8:09 AM, mikebell said:

You seem to have come round to my way of thinking.

The ones who have created the problem?  Is that the Government? Or is it those who continue to feed & keep alive diseased & deformed creatures living in misery.

It's like saying the Government should make laws about tipping rubbish anywhere and everywhere. They have but it doesn't stop the average Thai selectively ignoring rules leaving the area where I live teeming with wild dogs amid a wasteland of rubbish whilst Pattaya's mayor talks of spending billions to create a 'world-class resort.'

I haven't come round to anything. After 21 years I have a fairly good idea of how much of a problem it was and has become.

The blame lies with those who stuck there nose in with no regard to the consequences of their action, after all, they weren't going to be affected. Unfortunately you cannot unring a bell.

At the end of the day it is all about resources and many seem to forget that Thailand is not on the same level of GDP as their home country, something that people must learn to live with.