U.S. vote count edges Biden closer to win as Trump mounts legal challenges

snoop1130

7 minutes ago, Kelsall said:

Well, the odds on that happening are better than Joe holding his scheduled 8PM address to the nation which did not happen.  We can't blame him, though.

really?  you want to ding him for rescheduling?

nypost and the guardian are reporting a speech will be held at 11:30 if a winner is declared by 10pm.

27 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

just noise?  the leader of the free world, the dude with the nukular football, is having difficulties accepting reality.

doesn't matter if the media call the election, they aren't official.  state tallies won't be certified until about 14 december, so plenty of time for trump to file more lawsuits.

pennsylvania still has around 8000 military/overseas ballots outstanding, can be received thru the 10th.  depending on how close the final tally is, it may be a tactic to throw out some provisional ballots or late ballots or cured ballots, etc.  plus he may get some traction in the courts with the claim that the state supreme court exceeded authority by extending ballot receipt date when the legislature has that authority.

there's no requirement for trump to concede, that's just optics.  he has another 2-1/2 months where he can ignore reality.  or at least until the first week of january when congress meets to certify the election.

any bets on whether trump will hold a rally this week?

You seem to be misunderstanding me. I am talking purely about the electoral map counting aspect of the election. That's what media organizations always use to call elections. The truth is in any other year Pennsylvania would have been called for Biden by now and following from that the entire election. By unnaturally delaying this inevitable call of Pennsylvania they are adding fuel to 45s game to throw doubt on the electoral vote result. Again I think it is very wrong to cave to this president’s totally irrational temper tantrums. Its high time for the country to see Biden's victory speech. He won.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

The major networks are holding back on calling Biden the winner in a way they've never done before. In any other election this would have already been called. Now it looks like they will wait one or multiple days more. Why? It seems to me they're being overly cautious in deference to a completely unhinged soon to be ex president. I think this stinks. They are showing him that his temper tantrums and pile of totally false charges that are inciting some of his fans towards violence is paying off.

In 2000 the Bush team made a big effort to declare that Bush had won, it was over, he's the president-elect, just so that Gore's calling for the recount in FL would seem like undoing a decision that had already been made, rather than a routine feature of election processing.  So, any effort to delay treating Biden as president-elect can serve to support Trump's fraudulent claims as part of his plan to overturn the election. 

A bad sign.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

“The stock market is not the economy. The stock market is not the economy...”

It is for me.  My pension fund is dependent on the stock market to stay solvent and my investment portfolio(which I will need if I live to a ripe old) is also dependent on the stock market.   Different strokes for different folks.  

The stock market is important for some, but other issues, like health care, education, infrastructure, global standing, etc, are also extremely important.  Without these in good shape, you wouldn't have a robust stock market.

https://www.financialsamurai.com/what-percent-of-americans-own-stocks/

As of 2020, the top 10 percent of Americans owned an average of $969,000 in stocks. The next 40 percent owned $132,000 on average. For the bottom half of families, it was just under $54,000.

2 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

In 2000 the Bush team made a big effort to declare that Bush had won, it was over, he's the president-elect, just so that Gore's calling for the recount in FL would seem like undoing a decision that had already been made, rather than a routine feature of election processing.  So, any effort to delay treating Biden as president-elect can serve to support Trump's fraudulent claims as part of his plan to overturn the election. 

A bad sign.

Yes. 

But 2000.was a unique historic aberration.

Remember Gore conceded and then took it back.

He was right to take it back based on facts on the ground but a month later when the Supreme Court ruled against him he did the right patrlotic thing and accepted it instead of encouraging his base to take it to the streets which many of them wanted to do.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes. 

But 2000.was a unique historic aberration.

Remember Gore conceded and then took it back.

He was right to take it back based on facts on the ground but a month later when the Supreme Court ruled against him he did the right patrlotic thing and accepted it instead of encouraging his base to take it to the streets which many of them wanted to do.

Gore failed in his duty to us his voters by not calling us out into the street to oppose the judicial coup.  Gore wanted to become president just to top off his career, but knew that he himself would still have a very good life if he lost.  It's not like he was driven to improve the lives of Americans who voted for him and depended on him. It was their votes that Gore's manners were too good to fight for.  Imagine what Bernie, AOC, or Elizabeth Warren would have done in Gore's shoes.

Gore was just one more disgrace at the time.

3 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

Gore failed in his duty to us his voters by not calling us out into the street to oppose the judicial coup.  Gore wanted to become president just to top off his career, but knew that he himself would still have a very good life if he lost.  It's not like he was driven to improve the lives of Americans who voted for him and depended on him. It was their votes that Gore's manners were too good to fight for.  Imagine what Bernie, AOC, or Elizabeth Warren would have done in Gore's shoes.

Gore was just one more disgrace at the time.

I understand. I wanted to go into the stress myself. But sorry there was no way that would have possibly changed the result. You surely must know that so what would have been the point? I think Gore did the right thing. You pick your fights and that fight was a guaranteed loser.

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I understand. I wanted to go into the stress myself. But sorry there was no way that would have possibly changed the result. You surely must know that so what would have been the point? I think Gore did the right thing. You pick your fights and that fight was a guaranteed loser.

You don't think the Brooks Brothers riot affected the Supreme Court enabling them to tell themselves that they were responding to the will of the people?  Of course, mass demonstrations could have changed the result.  That's what governments are afraid of. 

That was the fight that mattered.  A million Iraqis would still be alive.

5 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

You don't think the Brooks Brothers riot affected the Supreme Court enabling them to tell themselves that they were responding to the will of the people?  Of course, mass demonstrations could have changed the result.  That's what governments are afraid of. 

That was the fight that mattered.  A million Iraqis would still be alive.

Well we just disagree then that it was possible to change that result.

“The stock market is important for some, but other issues, like health care, education, infrastructure, global standing, etc, are also extremely important.  Without these in good shape, you wouldn't have a robust stock market.”

Without money I or anyone else would have none of these important things.  I am not a Trump supporter and did not vote for him but I do support his economic policies.  Old Chinese proverb:  Time is money and money is life.  

But this all under water under the bridge and it is Biden/Harris time to shine and unite the country(let’s see how that works out).  

3 minutes ago, earlinclaifornia said:

Again your insight is delightful. Along with your recent post:

"Trump will win the election.  He will win it fair and square."

Could Trump run again for Presidency in 2024?

2 hours ago, pegman said:

Yes, at 78 years old and on the odd chance he isn't in a penitentiary 

why should that stop him?  there are no provisions in the constitution that prohibit a convicted felon from running for president.  35yo/native born/resident.  that's it.

i doubt that would stop the true believers from voting for him.  quite the opposite!  that would be considered "proof" the deep state wanted to get rid of him.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, pegman said:

Trump is toast and Chuck and Nancy should be too. Out with the old.

Great promotion for 78 year old Biden.

Rather than age, color, sexual proclivity, gender, religion, why not non-partisan support for the American system and the lives of all Americans?

• Like 1

On 11/5/2020 at 7:35 PM, welovesundaysatspace said:

Good, so they can get counted. That’s what should happen with votes, no? 

It depends when they arrived.

As I understand it, the law in Pennsylvania is that only votes arriving on the day of the election  before 8PM are to be counted.

The Pennsylvania supreme court had previously made a ruling that as long as the postmark was for the day of the election votes could be counted even if they arrived after.

The whole ongoing legal case hinges on the fact that the court does not have the ability to change law as that is the ability of legislators and therefore the ruling is unconstitutional. So it may well be that the votes not received by 8PM on election are invalid and will not be counted.  This could cost Biden Pennsylvania.

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, rabas said:

Great promotion for 78 year old Biden.

Rather than age, color, sexual proclivity, gender, religion, why not non-partisan support for the American system and the lives of all Americans?

For that no better choice than Biden.

57 minutes ago, teatree said:

It depends when they arrived.

As I understand it, the law in Pennsylvania is that only votes arriving on the day of the election  before 8PM are to be counted.

The Pennsylvania supreme court had previously made a ruling that as long as the postmark was for the day of the election votes could be counted even if they arrived after.

The whole ongoing legal case hinges on the fact that the court does not have the ability to change law as that is the ability of legislators and therefore the ruling is unconstitutional. So it may well be that the votes not received by 8PM on election are invalid and will not be counted.  This could cost Biden Pennsylvania.

You're wrong. 

They're being segregated. 

There are very few of them because voters were well warned that the post office isn't functioning normally so people mailed their ballots in super early.

Thus the numbers of such ballots are quite small.

There is no chance that will cost Biden Pennsylvania.

Biden has won  Pennsylvania.

Already called by DecisionDeskHQ and major  networks soon to follow.

Thus Biden is now president elect.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2