U.S. vote count edges Biden closer to win as Trump mounts legal challenges

snoop1130

5 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

60% of white people voted for him.

'White grievance' politics is one of trump's platforms mirroring the alt right. Whether the majority of American voters are aware one of trump's senior advisers, Stephen Miller, supports alt right ideology I don't know.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sscc said:

Yes, some major networks is going to call Biden winning the whole thing within hours. 

Going to be all over for Trump. 

Not so fast.  Biden's lead in AZ is narrowing.  NZ is really close.  There's a possibility we could end up at 269 to 269.  And complete chaos.

• Haha 1

Just now, Jeffr2 said:

Not so fast.  Biden's lead in AZ is narrowing.  NZ is really close.  There's a possibility we could end up at 269 to 269.  And complete chaos.

Not going to happen.  PA alone will put him over even if he were to lose both NV and AZ, which does not appear likely.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

Or a simpler view is that a majority of Americans are vile racists.

Not a majority, whilst I have been educated here recently by certain (American) posters that the popular vote is an "utter irrelevance" in deciding who is to be the President, some 3 million plus more have voted against the vile racist ideals, which while not explicitly on Mr Trump's platform, are certainly flapping their dirty scaly wings around it's fringes.

However a disturbing number seem prepared to at least accept their presence, even if they do not openly approve.

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, herfiehandbag said:

Not a majority, whilst I have been educated here recently by certain (American) posters that the popular vote is an "utter irrelevance" in deciding who is to be the President, some 3 million plus more have voted against the vile racist ideals, which while not explicitly on Mr Trump's platform, are certainly flapping their dirty scaly wings around it's fringes.

However a disturbing number seem prepared to at least accept their presence, even if they do not openly approve.

Trump's base represents a minority of Americans.  A majority of Americans are not racist.  And not that stupid.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes.

Biden Harris ran with the positive message that we're better than this. Even if they win which is likely it turns out that we're not. That is extremely depressing. The world has taken notice. It will be impossible for a President Biden to convince the world that we're back to normal and that the toxic illiberal isolationist anti science 45 era was just an unfortunate temporary out of character aberration. 

JT, is it true as I have read that Trump took 45% of the gay vote?  Say it isn't so.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Really. Remember when Obama took office and how hard he tried to work with Republicans. Nearly 40 percent of his stimulus bill was devoted to tax cuts. Not one Republican in the Senate voted for it.

On the ACA he specifically made changes to accommodate Olympia Snowe, a so called moderate Republican from Maine. Despite that, she voted against it.

Don't kid yourself, the Republicans won't be cooperating. They will not support a big stimulus even though all economists are virtually agreed that that is what is necessary.

Maybe you're right and I'm just too optimistic.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Maybe you're right and I'm just too optimistic.

This is from the NY Times. If you aren't a member just access the link using incognito mode in Chrome or InPrivate mode in Edge.

Is America Becoming a Failed State?
Mitch McConnell may make the nation ungovernable.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/05/opinion/joe-biden-senate-mitch-mcconnell.html

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, placeholder said:

This is from the NY Times. If you aren't a member just access the link using incognito mode in Chrome or InPrivate mode in Edge.

Is America Becoming a Failed State?
Mitch McConnell may make the nation ungovernable.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/05/opinion/joe-biden-senate-mitch-mcconnell.html

Excellent article!  Paul is a very respected journalist.  Excellent article, but sad...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Aforek said:

American system  ( big electors ) seems totally unfair to me ; it dates from 1787; American people stil  accept it ?

4 years ago, Clinton had 2.5 millions votes ahead Trump, and she lost

Difficult for European like me to understand 

Difficult for many Americans to understand also.

• Like 2

Trump appointed many many judges to fed bench, due in large part to Republican senate refusing to look at Obama's nominees, from Scotus on down.

If they election cases came to Trump appointed judge, would he/she have to recuse themselves? Or is recusing something depending on "honor system"?

EC is bit nuts, but we've know that since Constitution was adopted.

Biden ahead by nearly 4 million. Close to total population of my home state of Oregon. Yes, US is inherently damaged democracy and see little path to correcting that

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Jeffr2 said:

I check an  UK news outlet    theguardian.com 

It showed the number of votes not yet counted and  the Trump/Biden lead figures. These figures also got update by hour or minute, whatever. 

Looks to me that Trump is only able to gobble up  North Carolina in the remaining five states. 

No chance of  269 Vs 269  for Trump now.   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

Biden is more of a peacemaker, and with Trump out of the picture the Republican party will have a different approach.

I wonder. If there is a big winner it is Trump even as he loses. Once FOX and friends recover from their current  hysteria, I can only think they will be emboldened and spend the next fours years slamming Joe, and anything he does, to the curb. 

On the positive, this means we have four more years of Social Security, although yes Trump may cut it before he leaves as a parting gift. Joe will re up it. Better than a poke in the eye with a blunt stick.

Edited by LomSak27
  • Sad 1