U.S. vote count edges Biden closer to win as Trump mounts legal challenges

snoop1130

1 hour ago, teatree said:

It depends when they arrived.

As I understand it, the law in Pennsylvania is that only votes arriving on the day of the election  before 8PM are to be counted.

The Pennsylvania supreme court had previously made a ruling that as long as the postmark was for the day of the election votes could be counted even if they arrived after.

The whole ongoing legal case hinges on the fact that the court does not have the ability to change law as that is the ability of legislators and therefore the ruling is unconstitutional. So it may well be that the votes not received by 8PM on election are invalid and will not be counted.  This could cost Biden Pennsylvania.

• NOV. 6, 11:19 PM
  • Pennsylvania: Biden’s lead here keeps widening and now sits at 28,833 votes. What’s more, the remaining 90,000 or so mail-in ballots and 100,000 or so provisional ballots figure to be Democratic-leaning as well. We expect to get more updates from large, blue counties like Philadelphia and Allegheny tomorrow, which may (or may not) inspire the networks to project the state for Biden.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/live-blog/2020-election-results-coverage/

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

cnn live stream 

the anchor said (paraphrased):  it's morning on the east coast, the president is awake, he is tweeting, and he is lying.

clear, concise, to the point.

There's that old joke about how can you tell when mr. so-and-so is lying? When he's breathing.

On 11/7/2020 at 8:19 AM, Jingthing said:

The major networks are holding back on calling Biden the winner in a way they've never done before. In any other election this would have already been called. Now it looks like they will wait one or multiple days more. Why? It seems to me they're being overly cautious in deference to a completely unhinged soon to be ex president. I think this stinks. They are showing him that his temper tantrums and pile of totally false charges that are inciting some of his fans towards violence is paying off.

First, because the margins are so tight, it's like "seeing your face in HD" (Megyn Kelly's words) you want to make sure all pores are powdered up. But more importantly, we don't want any violence to occur, do we? There were folks with AR-15s in their humvee ready to assault the Pennsylvania Convention Center at a moment's notice. The networks were being over-cautious so not to give the slightest cause/excuse for Trump fans to flare up while the counting process was still going. It's not in deference to Trump who is now insignificant as POTUS (but whose words can still incite). Rather in the extreme care to see the election through, consider it a difficult birth if you will. 

But in the end it's all worth it. I bet those of us with or without stamina would be happy to sit up a few more nights if this had dragged on to next Tuesday. Congrats to the networks for a job well done (Steve Kornacki of MSNBC especially.) And deep gratitude to the people who counted the votes, the officials who guarded the votes like mother hens, and the law enforcement forces protecting these folks, whoever you are and wherever you are in the always great US of A.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, watthong said:

First, because the margins are so tight, it's like "seeing your face in HD" (Megyn Kelly's words) you want to make sure all pores are powdered up. But more importantly, we don't want any violence to occur, do we? There were folks with AR-15s in their humvee ready to assault the Pennsylvania Convention Center at a moment's notice. The networks were being over-cautious so not to give the slightest cause/excuse for Trump fans to flare up while the counting process was still going. It's not in deference to Trump who is now insignificant as POTUS (but whose words can still incite). Rather in the extreme care to see the election through, consider it a difficult birth if you will. 

But in the end it's all worth it. I bet those of us with or without stamina would be happy to sit up a few more nights if this had dragged on to next Tuesday. Congrats to the networks for a job well done (Steve Kornacki of MSNBC especially.) And deep gratitude to the people who counted the votes, the officials who guarded the votes like mother hens, and the law enforcement forces protecting these folks, whoever you are and wherever you are in the always great US of A.

Fair enough but they could have just as confidently have called it yesterday and if we had a normal president currently in office it would have been called two days ago. So yeah its all good now but I'm not thrilled that they changed their behavior to cave to an unhinged out of touch with reality president. 

• Thanks 1

Yeah, we have 2 different points of view here: 

a) not to cave to "an unhinged out of touch with reality president" whom nobody gives a hoot at this point and make the call ASAP

/or

b ) delay to safeguard our precious election to the utmost under the circumstance: "an unhinged out of touch with reality president" who can still effectively incite his "unhinged out of touch with reality" fan base - armed to the teeth and ready to bolt at the slightest snap of Trump's fingers.

I would rather not take such risk and I'm grateful to the media for having commanded such restraint. Again hat off to MSNBC's Kornacki for helping us poor-math wizards navigate the numbers. Other network moderators could only announce that Trump was catching up a bit with Biden (in NV or AZ I can't remember) but only Kornacki took the extra step to explain that although Trump was narrowing the gap, actually he was not going fast enough (to flip.) The nearest analogy would be although the cops are catching up with you but at the speed they're driving they would run out of fuel first.