After year long lease with owner for condo - does it just continue?

23 hours ago, michael888 said:

After year long lease with owner for condo - does it just continue?  Do I just go month to month after this period or must I sign a new lease?

If you lease agreement has fixed terms it ends by the end date, and your need to negotiate for a new term.

Normal lease agreements can be up to three years, and no longer.

Longer terms from three years and up to a maximum of 30 years needs to be registered as a servitude in a land office.

If there is no end date, but the agreement can be terminated at any time by giving a notice, a rent can in principle continue (for ever).

Section 566. If no period is agreed upon or presumed, either party may terminate the contract of hire at the end of each period for the payment of rent, provided that notice of at least one rent period is given, but no more than two months notice need be given.

You can find the Rent of Property-law in English translation HERE.

• Like 1

You need to carefully read the current contract. I once had a lease that stated that I had to give the owner a notification of my intent to stay 60 days prior to the end. I gave him the notice about 40 days before, but he'd already advertised the house. A few weeks later he told me that he'd found a new tenant and that I needed to be gone by the end of lease.  (It was just business). He and I got along fine, but he did not particularly like my wife and her family (big house and MIL & FIL both stayed with us. We got 30K baht of 35K deposit)

• Thanks 1

When my condo lease finished after 12 months the owner rang me up, asked if I wanted to stay on. I said yes, he said ok, just carry on monthly.

One thing to think of though is .....do you need a lease for your visa extension ? Or perhaps a Certificate of Residence ? Or a bank account ? I never needed one at CW but somebody I knew had to produce a copy of his current lease for Immigration at Samut Prakan. I had to show my lease when opening my bank account, but every branch and bank is different as most of us know !

On 11/6/2020 at 2:32 PM, michael888 said:

After year long lease with owner for condo - does it just continue?  Do I just go month to month after this period or must I sign a new lease?

What is the usual procedure in thailand?  Thanks.

what do you think you do ???

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Kiujunn said:

I just continued paying rent every month after the lease expired.

For years.

If my landlord wants to kick me out, how much in advance would he legally be required to give notice?

One month i expect, you have no lease agreement, just a month to month casual relationship, actually they probably would not even need to give you one month if they wanted. (he/she)

Flexibility can work for both parties so if it suits you both, why change, as long as you can accept the risk.

• Like 1