Attack at protest in Jomtien: "Ken" charged with assault after headbutting critical Russian

webfact

2 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

Kenny explains it all  in this video. 

From what kenny says in that video The Russian is certainly "misinformed" at best   but it still does not excuse the headbutting...sticks and stones will break my bones but names (words) will never hurt me..he was wrong to use violence.

It's not illegal, but all foreign embassies recommend staying away from demonstrations. We are guests here, we have no right to vote and no other possibility to change anything politically. And that's a good thing, it's Thailand and the Thais make politics. So be silent because you can't change anything

• Thanks 1

i agree that it was, at minimum, not the best idea to be at the protest site with his young daughter (note that i am assuming here that he knew in advance there was a protest going on and then purposefully chose to attend or be in the immediate proximity) ... so i think the foreigner “owns” that part of it.

... and the thai national “owns” the assault... while i get it that he appears to have been “egged on” (based on the reporting) and perhaps even verbally challenged, at the end of the day, that doesn’t then permit assault on another

So, in this case, it sounds to me like the RTP has correctly applied the law to the matter at hand... again, i think the foreigner isn’t totally blameless per se..: but i can’t then say that what he did (based only on what’s reported) justifies the assault.

Seems that the missing link in man's evolution from apes just was found yesterday on Jomtien beach. And that this missing link species seems to have both female and male individuals. In the video a female half-ape, half-human representative of this species is showing her middle finger to a 10 year old girl.  And the male one is waving with his hands in the air until losing his self control and resorting to physical violence, as is common to individuals of this half-ape, half-human species. Reminds me of the opening scene of Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Strange, nothing in the Thai press about this. 

er...it's all over the Thai language press. Even the OP links to the Daily News report of the incident.

Edited by katana
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, nomad2019 said:

Rule number one foreigners should stay away from Thai politics especially when there's young children with you the Russian retard ????????????   open his big fat mouth   ????????????      in front of his young daughter to a legit protester who was talking about Thailand issues ,    nothing to do with foreign  politics.

stay well clear from Thailand political situation let Thailand people run their own country ????????????

sorry ,  I should have also stated that of course the thai bullyboy  was absolutely wrong. ????????????????

7 hours ago, MiKT said:

Read the advise from your embassy if you want to know how to behave during protests in Thailand. ie STAY AT HOME - much the same for any country.

Very easy for a foreign civil servant to say that. There are people here who need to work and visit customers and vendors to keep the country running.

Edited by FritsSikkink

10 hours ago, Phoenix Rising said:

True, the Russian was beyond stupid for interfering

That was OK, that was just stupid.

Daring the Thai to have a go at him was when it got "beyond stupid".

He literally "got what he asked for".

3 hours ago, shackleton said:

Sorry  but why was the Russian making a comment on a Thai protest

Only asking for trouble  

What a plonker comes to mind none of his business 

Feel for his wife and kid to see the outcome 

Well if a Thai person went to Russia and say something bad about Putin, I wonder how that Russian would feel.

Foreigners shouldn't meddle with other countries' affairs.

Both parties are wrong. The Russian for meddling and the Thai for physically attacking him.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

20 m from the police station, a foreigner with a half Thai child...granted stupid to get involved with this trash...assaulted on camera...

But

10000 bail, and....nothing?

Was that a question or statement if that bad for local businesses?

Some taste of that xenophobia is here to stay, Prayuth government or the protesters, won't change.

7 hours ago, peterrabbit said:

If you are a foreigner living here, then you have got to be CRAZY getting involved in politics and political demonstrations. Its none of your business so stay well clear or deal with the consequences! 

Crazy maybe, but brave.  A just cause should always be worth standing up for, even if the consequences may be severe.  

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, champers said:

Police watched the attack and the build up to it but did not intervene to diffuse the situation. Shame on them.

Should the Russian not also have been charged with provoking the Thai guy? I have come across a few of these types who deliberately provoke people then go crying to the police when they get a sore face.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Crazy maybe, but brave.  A just cause should always be worth standing up for, even if the consequences may be severe.  

Absolutely. Some long-term expats are terrified of standing up for their rights while others fight for them. 

Immigrants in the UK stick together and risk a lot trying to change our culture and system. Sadly, not here most wouldn't say boo to a 'haan'.

• Like 1