Funds Pile Into Thailand as Vaccine Progress Boosts Tourism Hopes

webfact

54 minutes ago, geisha said:

I don’t think that Pfizer or any other company will risk putting a vaccin on the market worldwide that doesn’t work, which would loose them billions of $ and their reputation. 

You don't? What would it take for you to learn? The medical industry giant has had its share of legal troubles and scandal. This includes marketing fraud allegations and unapproved clinical trials. Pfizer set a record for the largest health care fraud settlement and the largest criminal fine of any kind with $2.3 billion in 2009.

Not to mention, Pfizer's CEO sold $5.6 million in stock the day he announced promising vaccine.

2 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

I think I read that the leading contented in the Vaccine race has a Major stumbling Block, in that it needs Storage and Transportation at Minus 70 Deg C.

Also 2 Doses  are needed for each 'Patient " to be  properly Immunized, with the second dosage many weeks after the first one.

Correct me if I am wrong with this.

There might be other vaccines coming up that don't need minus 70 centigrade storage, but still, efficient mass vaccination is not done within short time.

I hate to rain on the parade, but when the vaccine is available in a few short months to say that it will not be widely available will be an understatement.  We will be changing from wondering if it will come to when I can get it - which could be upwards of a year for many and even years for some.  

Given that tourism relies on mass tourism, the chances for any recovery in 2021 remains grim.  It will likely be a repeat of 2020.  Carbon copy.  To leave and come back will still necessitate a 14 day quarantine until you get the vaccine, and even then they don't know how long it will last for or how many booster shots you will need.  

You can replace Thailand with any country of your choice when it comes to tourism.

• Like 2

Yet again Thailand proves the doubters wrong

Investors seemingly are plowing money in to the Financial markets now

In the hope of the new vaccine  which will have the foreign tourists arriving back in their droves

What year and will the Quarantine restrictions be lifted ect 

They are a bit over confident in my option  but this is Thailand 

I am lost for words 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Walter Travolta said:

Is this really true? Im not saying they dont part with their money, but where does their money go? I would guess their money goes to Chinese tour companies and then to Chinese owned hotels. Not sure how much the Thai population who depend on tourism for their income see of Chinese cash. A liitle 200 baht wooden elephant isnt going to pay for a childs education

It goes wherever any tourist money goes, despite the TV myth. 

7 hours ago, keith101 said:

Why would tourists come here if the BAHT is to high all over again which will reduce their ability to spend money .

The over valued baht will hit exports more as companies will not buy as much goods due to the poor exchange rate .

Thais don’t have a brain, their balance of payments must read like a banana republics

Anti vaxxers at top here ....

A 90% vaccine is a very good 1 , many vaccines have much lower numbers , and there are a few cases where the vaccine reaches 100% ( or close to that ) .

The numbers are from phase 3 tests , phase 3 is a large scale test on general public . Meaning , all generations are included in a double blind test , covering 30.000 to 60.000 people .

A vaccine is not equal to being sick before , a vaccine tries to make to the body learn about a type of virus  and to make antibodies . How it does it depends on the type of vaccine , but it can be that a vaccine is better working then a past infection of the same sickness . Also , that people do not have antibodies anymore in blood , does not mean that the body does not remember to fight the virus . The human body in a complicated machine and cells can be trained in order to recognise a incoming virus ( protein ) .

How effective a vaccine is at certain age groups will give the vaccination order , so that it can have the best strategy . It can be that older people need the vaccine 1st since they are most vulnerable , but it might just be that younger people get injected 1st because they bring the virus everywhere .

The 90% is a high number and extremely good number but since it isn't 100% there is a chance that somebody still gets infected with the virus . However , it is a lot more complicated than that . The transmission of the virus goes down a lot , since a lot of people cannot give the virus to others anymore .

How correct the numbers are , still depends of the outcome of the results of the phase 3 tests , and they are being collected and being given to higher authorities to get a green light for mass vaccination .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Walter Travolta said:

Is this really true? Im not saying they dont part with their money, but where does their money go? I would guess their money goes to Chinese tour companies and then to Chinese owned hotels. Not sure how much the Thai population who depend on tourism for their income see of Chinese cash. A liitle 200 baht wooden elephant isnt going to pay for a childs education

So maybe a piece goed back to China, but the hotel workers and vendors are all Thai. Most of the money stays in Thailand.

• Confused 1

56 minutes ago, Time to grow said:

Hmmm? I have never heard of a medical freezer that pulls down to -70°F. Maybe liquid nitrogen? But you might consider that the rural nature of Thailand coupled with these cold chain requirements, will make distribution most challenging. Maybe even unrealistic?

Solid CO2 is -70c , and is fairly easy , even for 3th world countries . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, sezze said:

You would think so but even Pfizer acknowledged that there are “challenges related to our vaccine candidate’s ultra-low temperature formulation and attendant storage, distribution and administration requirements”. The medical industry reports increasing difficulty in maintaining a cold chain with as little as a -5°C requirement. The logistics of a -70°C are not impossible but extremely challenging for a nation such as Thailand.

12 minutes ago, cjinchiangrai said:

So maybe a piece goed back to China, but the hotel workers and vendors are all Thai. Most of the money stays in Thailand.

In Thailand where? In the tax coffers, certainly not in the pockets of the workers. 300 baht a day for a maid while the CHINESE OWNED HOTEL with all you can ram down your throat buffets get the bulk of it. Package deals bought in China for Chinese owned hotels hardly says to me most of the money stays in Thailand but I may be wrong. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John Drake said:

Any country will need a cold storage distribution system, mainly through hospitals or local government agencies? Sounds like First World first, and Third World last to me. And Thailand is not First World.

Not difficult in Thailand -80c,I am no expert liquid nitrogen could be used that is kept at -190 c ,redly available in Thailand in my very rural area they is a lot of dairy cows ,most are served by artificial insemination bulls semen is stored in liquid nitrogen tanks ,my local shop even sells the stuff.

1 hour ago, Time to grow said:

This vaccine requires a -70°F cold chain which will be virtually impossible in Thailand.

Why impossible? This has been known about for quite some time. If doctor's surgeries in the UK have been given the equipment to store this vaccine, there's no reason whatsoever why the same facilities cannot be available in Thailand. Thailand is not a backward country in terms of medical facilities - remember its a world centre for medical tourism.

From a technical point of view I don't think its impossible at all. Whether the Thai government is/has actually prepared for this vaccine is a different matter but they'd find it very difficult to explain to the people when considered against their submarine buying exploits.

Prayuth is not exactly popular at the moment - he may feel that providing the vaccine together with the logistics involved might buy him a few brownie points.

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Any country can cope with a few COVID cases here and there (and likely all will have to for a long time to come).

Yes, possibly a very long time judging by the amount of people who are saying they won't have the vaccine. As the WHO said 'no-one is safe until everyone is safe'.

3 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:
1 hour ago, Time to grow said:

This vaccine requires a -70°F cold chain which will be virtually impossible in Thailand.

Why impossible?

Yes, "Virtually Impossible" was arguably too strong of a phrase. I would replace it with, "extremely challenging".

12 minutes ago, Time to grow said:
25 minutes ago, sezze said:

You would think so but even Pfizer acknowledged that there are “challenges related to our vaccine candidate’s ultra-low temperature formulation and attendant storage, distribution and administration requirements”. The medical industry reports increasing difficulty in maintaining a cold chain with as little as a -5°C requirement. The logistics of a -70°C are not impossible but extremely challenging for a nation such as Thailand.

Of course it is  China  supplying the  money  

Gradually  taking ownership of  most   of Thailand  .....Not the chinese  people   90% of them are   poor

It is the  Chinese Communist  Party  it self   ..The  Gov  that is   boosting  The   Baht   up  from  funds  supplied to  Thailand

It is not  done for  tourism  ..high  Baht  = less  tourism  ..It is  done  to  slowly take over Thailand  ownership  and control

Chailand ....  will some day not be a  joke...    but   a  Fact!!!!

Good Luck  Thailand

3 hours ago, 2530Ubon said:

What are you talking about? Are you one of those anti-vaccination 'experts' we see on Fox News periodically?

"most are usually 50% effective" - NO. They're usually pretty damn close to 100% because 50% would be useless. Could you imagine if condoms were 50% effective? Only the seasonal flu jab is round 50-60%. That's due to the virus constantly mutating. 

"Two doses of MMR vaccine are about 97% effective at preventing measles; one dose is about 93% effective. Children may also get MMRV vaccine, which protects against measles, mumps, rubella, and varicella (chickenpox)." - source;https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/measles/index.html

https://www.who.int/vaccine_safety/initiative/detection/immunization_misconceptions/en/index2.html#:~:text=First%2C no vaccine is 100,% to 95% of recipients.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KhaoYai said:

Even that is too strong.  The facilities are available - in Thailand its the will that may be more in question.

Probably in Bangkok but Thailand is a very rural country where resources drop off quickly leaving Bangkok. It's likely an irrelevant argument, the vaccine is unlikely to meet it's touted claims anyway. In either case, there will be months if not years to figure it out before the Pfizer vaccine is even available.

• Confused 1

33 minutes ago, Walter Travolta said:

In Thailand where? In the tax coffers, certainly not in the pockets of the workers. 300 baht a day for a maid while the CHINESE OWNED HOTEL with all you can ram down your throat buffets get the bulk of it. Package deals bought in China for Chinese owned hotels hardly says to me most of the money stays in Thailand but I may be wrong. 

Edited by Traubert
  • Thanks 1

Sorry   this article   not so much about  a vacine  but money into Thai  economy  make the  Baht  rise  

Vacine  just s  smoke  screen

A real vacine  working  is  close   yes  

In Australia hope to start in March  next year  

But  that is expensive  vacine 

Free to Australians   already  paid  Billions  for it

Any Vacine for Thailand  will  possibly  not of the same stanard of testing 

Forget Vacines  Ok  this artcle  is about  Money 

Good Luck Thailand 

• Thanks 1