Do Thai nationals living abroad

1 hour ago, chrisandsu said:

Do Thai nationals living abroad need to book a flight through the Thai embassy to come home? I see flights available on kayak but I’m told they must book through the embassy . Is this true ?

Not true

1 hour ago, RichCor said:

All of the available flights to Thailand aren't being called "Repatriation Flights" for nothing.

So are you saying they have to be booked through the embassy or are you saying repatriation flights can be booked from a search engine ? 

1 hour ago, chrisandsu said:

What bit is not true ?

Having to book through the Embassy. But, I read in another thread that to qualify for the free quarantine, Thais have to be on a repatriation flight. Perhaps that's the confusion?

6 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Having to book through the Embassy. But, I read in another thread that to qualify for the free quarantine, Thais have to be on a repatriation flight. Perhaps that's the confusion?

Ok that makes sense thanks . do Thais have to quarantine in hotels too ?

This bit has thrown me on the website - would the flights available be considered semi commercial flights ? 

Regarding flights to Thailand, please be advised that normal commercial passenger flights into Thailand have been suspended until further notice. Nevertheless, the Thai Government organizes repatriation flights for Thai nationals to return to Thailand on a regular basis and the semi-commercial flights that are permitted to enter Thailand. For the semi-commercial flights, please contact the airlines directly.
    ▪    Semi-commercial flights (For the availability and flights information, please contact the airlines directly)
At present, certain air operators are permitted to operate semi-commercial flights to Thailand, and the list of air operators participating in semi-commercial flights program can be found here
Before booking flights to Thailand with the above-mentioned air operators, travelers should ensure that they study the different categories of visas granted to foreign nationals at this time to determine the possibility of travel. Please note that having plane tickets does not guarantee entry to Thailand, non-Thai travelers must have all th

3 minutes ago, chrisandsu said:

Ok that makes sense thanks . do Thais have to quarantine in hotels too ?

They get taken to a government quarantine facility, not sure if they get a choice of where. Earlier reports where of dodgy places but I "think" the quality has improved. Can't say I remember much being posted about them on here recently, hopefully someone with more up-to-date/first hand knowledge will be along soon.

4 minutes ago, chrisandsu said:

This bit has thrown me on the website - would the flights available be considered semi commercial flights ? 

To book direct? Yes. 

17 minutes ago, Salerno said:

They get taken to a government quarantine facility, not sure if they get a choice of where. Earlier reports where of dodgy places but I "think" the quality has improved. Can't say I remember much being posted about them on here recently, hopefully someone with more up-to-date/first hand knowledge will be along soon.

To book direct? Yes. 

So the semi commercial flights are considered repatriation flights ? Sorry about the questions I’m just thoroughly confused by it . 

23 minutes ago, chrisandsu said:

So the semi commercial flights are considered repatriation flights ?

Not as I understand it as such.  As I understand it:

• There are repatriation flights arranged by the government flown by Thai Airways that you "book" via the Embassy (i.e. you register for one, they tell you what flight you get allocated on).

• Semi commercial flights are serviced by a list of airlines that you can book direct.

Where is the person in question wishing to return from? This is a list of flights compiled by the Embassy in DC that covers around the world by the looks of it https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ijBJOTgFJPAuWUfkPIA60iniXB9j9Ba2XHafXzA6JCw/edit#gid=1006978595

1 minute ago, Salerno said:

Not as I understand it as such.  As I understand it:

• There are repatriation flights arranged by the government flown by Thai Airways that you "book" via the Embassy (i.e. you register for one, they tell you what flight you get allocated on).

• Semi commercial flights are serviced by a list of airlines that you can book direct.

Where is the person in question wishing to return from? 

She’s relocating from the USA . Her belief is she has to fly to LA to go to the embassy and then from LA on to bangkok . Seams really long winded to me especially when I see flights available from Seattle to bkk (but not 100% sure I’d they are embassy approved flights , if there is such thing ). 

5 minutes ago, chrisandsu said:

Seams really long winded to me especially when I see flights available from Seattle to bkk (but not 100% sure I’d they are embassy approved flights , if there is such thing ). 

Sorry, edited to add a link in my previous post while you where replying by the looks of it. In that link, Seattle (code is SEA isn't it?) doesn't appear to be listed. Could be due to routing (not American and never flown out of Seattle so not sure, guessing no direct flights?). 

Bottom line is to get confirmation from the Thai Embassy of course but perhaps someone will be along soon with more indepth knowledge, perhaps someone that's recently returned from the same area in the States.

26 minutes ago, Salerno said:

There are repatriation flights arranged by the government flown by Thai Airways that you "book" via the Embassy (i.e. you register for one, they tell you what flight you get allocated on).

^ Sorry, looks like outdated info/things have changed.

Government is arranging repat flights on multiple airlines now (https://thaiembdc.org/visas/) and:

"If you wish to travel to Thailand on one of the above flights, please contact the travel agents authorized by the airlines directly to see if they can accommodate you."

Clear as mud e.g. first listing "Arriving in Thailand on 14 November 2020 – Qatar Airways" ... how about listing departure airport, departure date, flight number etc.  

1 hour ago, Salerno said:

Sorry, edited to add a link in my previous post while you where replying by the looks of it. In that link, Seattle (code is SEA isn't it?) doesn't appear to be listed. Could be due to routing (not American and never flown out of Seattle so not sure, guessing no direct flights?). 

Bottom line is to get confirmation from the Thai Embassy of course but perhaps someone will be along soon with more indepth knowledge, perhaps someone that's recently returned from the same area in the States.

1 hour ago, Salerno said:

^ Sorry, looks like outdated info/things have changed.

Government is arranging repat flights on multiple airlines now (https://thaiembdc.org/visas/) and:

"If you wish to travel to Thailand on one of the above flights, please contact the travel agents authorized by the airlines directly to see if they can accommodate you."

Clear as mud e.g. first listing "Arriving in Thailand on 14 November 2020 – Qatar Airways" ... how about listing departure airport, departure date, flight number etc.  

that’s pretty clear , thank you I really appreciate your help . 

I'm returning on a Singapore flight out of L.A. Did not have to go through the embassy. I can't imagine why Thais would be restricted to "repatriation" flights. They can also stay at ASQ hotels and pay for them, instead of a free government quarantine.

I don't believe that schedule for semi-commercial carriers is complete. 

Mods, correct me if I'm wrong.

For the UK the Thai Air flights are booked directly with the airline since October. Thai nationals still have to register with the embassy in order to get an SQ (only using the Thai flight) and a COE. These flights fly every Sunday and are still scheduled until the end of December.

This is the only regular long haul flight that Thai flies due to the number of Thais in the UK. 

This BS in just non-sence making its way to a result. If you were following Thai Visa for awhile you may understand.  Frankly not so easy for me.

To the core of your post, I think you should check out the current(sometime a joke) website and determine there are flights under which only certain Thais and Non Thais can re-enter now. Previously, do not know what it will be on Monday, Thais have flown without testing but with paying for their fare from the scheduled repatriation-scheduled location.  That may have developed/changed. Check out the website daily--as maybe your  lady understands how to get home ; there process is much easier than for that of an expat.  No criticism, just reality.

And, yes they have to position their departure to of the original  repatriation international site.  Live in  Denver and your flight, by necessity or by design, you may have to pay for the flight for DEN to LAX or SFO,etc.

Wake up tomorrow am and check it again.  Good Luck

2 hours ago, chrisandsu said:

She’s relocating from the USA . Her belief is she has to fly to LA to go to the embassy and then from LA on to bangkok . Seams really long winded to me especially when I see flights available from Seattle to bkk (but not 100% sure I’d they are embassy approved flights , if there is such thing ). 

She will deal with the Thai consulate in LA.

The first step is for her to complete a online application form. It is in Thai here. 

https://www.cognitoforms.com/RoyalThaiEmbassy1/RegistrationFormForThaiNationalsTravelingToOrResidingInTheUS

Other info can be found on the website in Thai. https://thaiconsulatela.org/

Flight info is here. https://thaiembdc.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/2020-11-13-Details-Repat-Flight-DEC-flights.pdf

She will not need to go to LA for anything. It is all done online, email or by mail.

3 hours ago, HeijoshinCool said:

I'm returning on a Singapore flight out of L.A. Did not have to go through the embassy.

If your Singapore Air flight is not on the list you ain't flying anywhere.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ijBJOTgFJPAuWUfkPIA60iniXB9j9Ba2XHafXzA6JCw/edit#gid=1006978595

https://thaiembdc.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/2020-11-13-Details-Repat-Flight-DEC-flights.pdf

11 hours ago, unheard said:

Then you should contact the embassy, and tell them they are mistaken. They guided me through the process. 

My flight is indeed on the list, and I booked direct. It is not a repatriation flight. My comment was regarding whether or not a Thai national was restricted to repatriation flights.

I have since spoken with two people whose wives took a semi-commercial flight, and chose to stay in an ASQ,  rather than take a repatriation flight and stay in government quarantine.

1 hour ago, HeijoshinCool said:

Then you should contact the embassy, and tell them they are mistaken. They guided me through the process.

The embassy in DC?

Why not the consulate if you're flying from LAX?

Have the consulate issue a COE?

Can you provide the list that mentions your flight?

1 hour ago, HeijoshinCool said:

I have since spoken with two people whose wives took a semi-commercial flight, and chose to stay in an ASQ,  rather than take a repatriation flight and stay in government quarantine.

One thing doesn't lead to another.

A Thai national is entitled to take any repatriation flight and then stay in either a free government provided or non-free ASQ hotel.

The choice is theirs and has nothing to do with the flight designation.

16 hours ago, HeijoshinCool said:

I'm returning on a Singapore flight out of L.A.

BTW,

it looks like you're booked on SQ37 out of LAX and then on the connecting flight into BKK.

That list only mentions the flight number of the second leg.

In that case you would be correct in saying that the list is incomplete.

48 minutes ago, unheard said:

BTW,

it looks like you're booked on SQ37 out of LAX and then on the connecting flight into BKK.

That list only mentions the flight number of the second leg.

In that case you would be correct in saying that the list is incomplete.

I do think that is where the confusion is . Multiple airlines are being used until the connection flight that’s allowed in . I think it’s doing a fine job of confusing just about everyone ????

First, what I am sure of. If a Thai is willing to pay for the Alternative State Quarantine, they can fly into Thailand on any of the flights that foreigners can now use.

Now, what I believe to be true but could be mistaken. I think Thais wanting to use the free State Quarantine must travel on the official quarantine flights. The difference is that the free SQ, places are assigned by the Thai authorities, not via the free market. I do not think you get allocated a SQ place when making your own travel arrangements.

5 minutes ago, BritTim said:

First, what I am sure of. If a Thai is willing to pay for the Alternative State Quarantine, they can fly into Thailand on any of the flights that foreigners can now use.

Now, what I believe to be true but could be mistaken. I think Thais wanting to use the free State Quarantine must travel on the official quarantine flights. The difference is that the free SQ, places are assigned by the Thai authorities, not via the free market. I do not think you get allocated a SQ place when making your own travel arrangements.

That to me makes perfect sense .  She doesn’t like to spend money ???? I just couldn’t wrap my head around having to fly all the way to LA . 

Archived