No vaccine, no entry – the next challenge of Covid-19

webfact

4 minutes ago, polpott said:

I've already explained the under 55 data. "Signs deal" doesn't mean that people are being injected with it. Each country will have to assess the data and approve the vaccine. The data isn't yet available.

You don't seem to understand.

The numbers, up to now, after say 6 months of developments and tests and many problems and one volunteer dead, aren't promising. It is clear.

There are countries that will start vaccination early next year. What is going to change in one month?  You tell me.

Let's say the sad truth. To make this vaccine safe, using this new technology, it seems to be necessary much more time, as many scientists said already. In the mean time, there now bunch of therapeutics that nobody want to use bust SHOULD BE used in large scale....

15 minutes ago, Tech65 said:

Actually it's not selling it. It's licensing in to other countries so they can manufacture it for themselves. 

They have also committed to making it available at cost (which is expected to be around $3 per dose) and will not be making a profit on it.

1 minute ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Actually it's not selling it. It's licensing in to other countries so they can manufacture it for themselves. 

They have also committed to making it available at cost (which is expected to be around $3 per dose) and will not be making a profit on it.

I have  no problem if they shall make money when they will delivery a great vaccine, safe and effective. Selling for free does not make me changing idea.

The problem is different than money. Are those vaccines tested well enough?

8 minutes ago, Tech65 said:

You don't seem to understand.

The numbers, up to now, after say 6 months of developments and tests and many problems and one volunteer dead, aren't promising. It is clear.

There are countries that will start vaccination early next year. What is going to change in one month?  You tell me.

Let's say the sad truth. To make this vaccine safe, using this new technology, it seems to be necessary much more time, as many scientists said already. In the mean time, there now bunch of therapeutics that nobody want to use bust SHOULD BE used in large scale....

I don't seem to understand? You clearly don't understand. Read my post on the approval method used on the AZ vaccine. No shortcuts, not rushed, its being done by the book.

One volunteer died and it was quickly established that the death was completely unrelated to the Covid vaccine.

What's going to change in one month? The full data from the AZ vaccine trials will be published, peer reviewed and approved by the appropriate government body.

Edited by polpott
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tech65 said:

I have  no problem if they shall make money when they will delivery a great vaccine, safe and effective. Selling for free does not make me changing idea.

The problem is different than money. Are those vaccines tested well enough?

Well, that's what the different regulatory bodies in the various jurisdictions are there to decide (FDA in the US, MHRA in the UK, etc).

They will be looking hard at the actual data analyses done by the independent Data Safety Monitoring Boards for each vaccine and only when they are convinced that the data shows the vaccines to be both safe and effective, will they license them for use.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, polpott said:

It sounds just as effective as the other front runners. When administered as a half dose followed by a full dose its 90+% effective. Thailand and UK have opted for AZ vaccine. More doses of AZ vaccine have already been manufactured than any other and, being less sensitive to storage temperature, makes it ideal for distribution in 3rd world countries. AZ are also distributing it at cost ie $3 per dose. Phizer will cost $19.50 per dose and Moderna want to make a real killing selling their vaccine at $25-$37 per dose. Bear in mind that the US vaccines require 2 doses and the UK vaccine 1 1/2 doses.

https://www.biospace.com/article/comparing-covid-19-vaccines-pfizer-biontech-moderna-astrazeneca-oxford-j-and-j-russia-s-sputnik-v/

BUT...on young and healthy people( who do not die from natural infection....) also figures based on very very low cases ( 9 to 30 people depending the brand...) and nobody did test on.the immunity.....guess they do not want to know that...or they know already..

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Patjqm said:

BUT...on young and healthy people( who do not die from natural infection....) also figures based on very very low cases ( 9 to 30 people depending the brand...) and nobody did test on.the immunity.....guess they do not want to know that...or they know already..

30,000 people were vaccinated in the AZ trial. The trials were specifically run in countries known to have a high infection rate. How do you know that they didn't test immunity? The trial data hasn't been released yet. Reports leaked on the AZ vaccine suggest that immunity lasts at least 1 year. The number of people immune, 90+%.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, polpott said:

It sounds just as effective as the other front runners. When administered as a half dose followed by a full dose its 90+% effective. Thailand and UK have opted for AZ vaccine. More doses of AZ vaccine have already been manufactured than any other and, being less sensitive to storage temperature, makes it ideal for distribution in 3rd world countries. AZ are also distributing it at cost ie $3 per dose. Phizer will cost $19.50 per dose and Moderna want to make a real killing selling their vaccine at $25-$37 per dose. Bear in mind that the US vaccines require 2 doses and the UK vaccine 1 1/2 doses.

https://www.biospace.com/article/comparing-covid-19-vaccines-pfizer-biontech-moderna-astrazeneca-oxford-j-and-j-russia-s-sputnik-v/

I've read effectiveness depends on regimen

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

I am going to the UK early next year. When I return, surely they can't make me take the vaccine. As a Thai citizen, surely this would be against my Constitutional rights. 

They could say no vaccine no return, just as with quarantine now.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DavisH said:

Have fun getting your visa extended then 555. I can guarantee this will be a requirement, especially for work permit renewals.

Until it does, you can have my dose, besides cash is king I can circumvent anything, this is Thailand people can buy what they want from a visa to happy endings...good luck to you. 

Edited by mike787
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, sweetserenity said:

Yeah if it works... but we dont know whether its going to work or not... 95% efficacy is what it is currently, but what about in 1 to 2 years or 10 years??

I don't think Covid19 will go away after the vaccines hit the street, and I think it will end up like the flu, where risk groups and elderly are recommended a shot each year or in years where it peaks , and then the rest can buy it if they want that extra protection. 

Only time will tell. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 11/24/2020 at 9:36 AM, MadMuhammad said:

It’s looking likely that airlines may demand proof of vaccination. Qantas has already stated such 

https://www.ft.com/content/8a59043d-df0d-45c1-b870-2780f06c5d1e

At a time when businesses are collapsing, currencies are in jeopardy, and consumers are trying to survive, the airline can't sustain this requirement for long ...

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, GeKoSc said:

At a time when businesses are collapsing, currencies are in jeopardy, and consumers are trying to survive, the airline can't sustain this requirement for long ...

apart from airline employees and shareholders, nobody might care...

On 11/29/2020 at 6:07 PM, Salerno said:

Since when did countries cede sovereignty to the WHO? If a country wants to instigate restrictions at it's own borders they can and have regardless of what the WHO say. 

Nonsense. All countries have ceded this sovereignty even if not publicly declared. All countries follow WHO advice to one extent or another. Those very few that didn't (Sweden, Belarus and Nicaragua) have been heavily criticized for not doing so and are under constant pressure to conform. However, even they have of late, imposed some restrictions.

Thailand is well known for following WHO advice.

Most countries ceded parts of their sovereignty when they joined the UN.