Electric fence to deter predators

3 minutes ago, OOTAI said:

douglasspade

In my opinion the answer to your question is Yes the electric fence will work.

We have some chickens and they were attacked one night and luckily we only lost 2 so the missus went out and bought and electric fence and rigged it up straight away.

About 10 o'clock that night there was an almighty screech followed by another and then yelping as they run off.  They came back a couple more times and the missus said she heard they yelp and they haven't bothered us since.

20201207_171511.jpg

20201207_171514.jpg

20201207_171526.jpg

20201207_171543.jpg

CHK-2.jpg

CHK-8.jpg

Same type of electric unit as mine ,a different make but I would say the same internals . Mine does a 600-yard run and it still gives a good shock ,with just a short run even better shock.

• Thanks 1

I came up with a coincidental solution back in late 70s . Had my 1st car for a years or so and did what any young buck would do, and that was to dump  the set of perfectly good wheels and tyres, for a set of alloys...   So anyway on a weekend up at the farm, and the moment the car drew up to the farmhouse, all the cattledogs came running out.

All but oneon the farm  were boys, and so my wheels were soon drenched.

Not happy.

Also dads ute wheels were terribly rusted thru for same reason...

I went over to the back garage and rolled the 'old' wheels out; 

Grabbed the spare farm fencer; 

Scrounged up a heap of insulated wire, about 15 metres of it each on 2 separate rolls; 

and 4 alligator clips 

Rolled the spare wheels over to the car, and leaned them inside out, against the cars actual wheels 

Next was to attach and daisy chain the wired alligator clips, and connect all 4 spare wheel rims...ran the longer lead back to the Fencer in the shed

... and strolled casually inside

It was only a matter of minutes when the first Yelp came

- and I got in trouble with dad for he swore the cattle dogs won't be usable for herding up the cows that night

Car wasn't peed on again for the next so many months

(but alas too late for the ute) 

above only works if the soi dogs are boys, for car wheels are magnets to them

- and maybe have an old car sitting about in the backyard near the chook shed, to save you from always having to reconnect it all up again every day

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, douglasspade said:

OOTAI, the setup looks simple enough and if it works for you it is worth me trying it out. Just a question... is that an AC or DC model?

Its AC. The missus wanted some lights in there for the chickens when they are small so just plugged it in.

I am sure there are DC versions available if you wanted to run it off a 12V battery.

I didn't say before but you may have noticed that we haven't got it dialled right up so the shock is not all that great, I have been zapped a couple of times when I forgot to unplug as I climbed over the fence.  So in your case as the dogs seem to be more wild I would dial it right up to the maximum.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, EricTh said:

Are you sure they are dogs and not wolves? I can't believe dogs can be so vicious.

Me and the wife chased the dogs off under double 250 watt floodlights. Dog attacks are common in Thailand, https://www.google.com/search?&q=Thailand+dog+attacks I just do not think attacks as in our village gets much attention.

10 hours ago, OOTAI said:

Its AC. The missus wanted some lights in there for the chickens when they are small so just plugged it in.

I am sure there are DC versions available if you wanted to run it off a 12V battery.

I didn't say before but you may have noticed that we haven't got it dialled right up so the shock is not all that great, I have been zapped a couple of times when I forgot to unplug as I climbed over the fence.  So in your case as the dogs seem to be more wild I would dial it right up to the maximum.

You can get a  AC and DC unit  run them off mains or battery ,I think our local shop sells them for about 1200 baht.

6 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

Douglas,have you thought about some motion sensor lights or some lazer beams to deter at night.

We have solar power lights that have sensors, and they will go on and off all night long for anything that flyes by or the smallest leaf moving in the wind. You can imagine the rainy season with all the bugs in the air flocking around the lights ????

Edited by Tagged

farmerjo, while we were chasing the dogs out some still tried to get back into the coop and there was one dog that did not even mind us and casually lied down and continued ripping a squeeling duck apart. Flood lights on, me with a eucalyptus pole and my wife with a broom, and some neighbors in the road yelling instructions through the fence, the dogs were not that bothered.

Only after I got a few hits in they started to disband from my yard quickly. All that noise, lights and commotion did not deter them at all.

• Like 1

Some ten years ago I had a neighbors mob of Soi dogs kill about ten piglets overnight. The piglets had run into the aisle in the sty and the dogs topped them, nature in action I suppose. I took the dead piglets to see the PooYai, he asked if I saw which dogs did it. Despite having a load of dead piglets I said I didn't so he could/wouldn't help. 

6 months ago someone in the village poisoned both my pups. They had supposedly become chicken killers. Again no witnessing, no help.

My point is simple. Your neighbors will only control their animals on their own land but will not limit them to staying there. Do the same, including predators. No need to ask or wait. Keep your stock safe and eliminate any and all introduced/invasive risks.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, IsaanAussie said:

Some ten years ago I had a neighbors mob of Soi dogs kill about ten piglets overnight. The piglets had run into the aisle in the sty and the dogs topped them, nature in action I suppose. I took the dead piglets to see the PooYai, he asked if I saw which dogs did it. Despite having a load of dead piglets I said I didn't so he could/wouldn't help. 

6 months ago someone in the village poisoned both my pups. They had supposedly become chicken killers. Again no witnessing, no help.

My point is simple. Your neighbors will only control their animals on their own land but will not limit them to staying there. Do the same, including predators. No need to ask or wait. Keep your stock safe and eliminate any and all introduced/invasive risks.

we have been on both sides of the problem dogs... for years are dogs killed chickens ect... always paid the going rate (kg weight) had many dogs killed, maybe 15 plus over the years.... now we "only" keep 5 dogs over 2 houses, just the other week the  dogs have started to break out over a high walled few rai and kill again.... dogs that live at are farm house have had kennels built that they can not get out of... im bored of dogs....(we used to breed dogs)

this year the wife has started to keep ducks and turkeys, of course we have dogs come in from time to time and kill afew here and there,  but i have put a camera on the main pond/area. when the dogs kill a duck the wife just sends the video clip to the owner of the dogs (owners all live around us) and said person pays some baht (80 baht kg of duck) most we have recieved in one hit was just over 1000 baht, those dogs do not come around the ducks much now... if the village head gets involved its just baht again, if its a big problem just get problem/dispute written down in the village log, 3 problems noted down over time and then the village head could/should get the police involved...

we are lucky that we do not have wild dogs about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thoongfoned said:

we are lucky that we do not have wild dogs about.

We also never had this problem but this year more wild dogs just come through the village.

I had to build a makeshift pig pen from eucalyptus (that I am not proud of at all) as well as the birds cages in my yard when I lost the land I leased some moths ago. I have noticed that my pigs draw in a lot of soi dogs, but because I have hammered them with the bow some nights they kept at bay and my land borders directly to deep water rice fields where there's only 1 way in. I also clean my cages daily to keep the smell at bay and drop the muck in a pond on one of our another nearby farms - close where 2 Big pig fattening farms was set up this year. One house up to 200 pigs in squalid conditions! I believe that is what is drawing the wild dogs in.

With my last pig butchered for Xmas I have started demolishing the eucalyptus pen, my plan is to construct a trial metal frame pig pen during the next month to keep 2 to 3 pigs in for fattening. Need the pen to be able to assemble/disassemble and be moveable with skids by pulling it with an ATV/ mini Tractor on the 1 Rai so the stock can naturally manure the land. During the rain months it will sit on top of a cement pad.

Yup... laugh all you want....

Had something like this in mind, but also with a closable mesh top (roof) to keep dogs from jumping in and an adjustable plate roof with side plates on. Estimated cost to build around 4500 Baht for a 6m2 one.

Any comments on this will also be appreciated.

HPC46816RS-2.jpg.c803d8abeca9ec5a01490a6f3426b9d5.jpg

Because our village has a lot off cattle, the farm soi dogs with bad behavior are on the losing end. Many dogs are moved away. There are actually very little soi dog issues other than a few fights when the bitches go in heat.

I am still re-securing the bird cages with metal mesh, and undecided about the electric fences for now.