45-day Tourist Visa Mulled

snoop1130

14 hours ago, 86Tiger said:

".......work out measures to attract visitors......"

I guess if you have no idea why people were coming in the first place, offering a 45 day visa is good a response as any......

I would have thought they would have resorted to tea leaves or a clairvoyant for tips by now

8 hours ago, Don Chance said:

I wonder if Thailand will allow vaccinated travelers to skip quarantine? Otherwise we will have to wait until most of the Thai population is vaccinated which will be a looong time.

If the condition for entry of tourists would be, Thai population being fully vaccinated, it would well be another 12 months

Remember that all the current visa types--or exemptions--are suspended.  In effect, right now they don't exist.

So the government can design new visa types with new requirements. 

What I look for is the effect vaccinations will have in 2021.  I see "proof of vaccination" as a requirement to obtain a visa at a Thai embassy overseas and enter Thailand sometime next year.  Independently. it will probably be required to get a seat on a airline as well.

If tourists can demonstrate that have been vaccinated, then a 14 day quarantine is no longer necessary. 

Vaccinations protect Thailand in two ways.  Tourist who have been vaccinated in their home country pose little risk in spreading the virus. And as the Thai population gets vaccinated, you will create herd immunity locally so there will be a greatly reduced chance of covid taken hold within the country

Edited by ThaiDiamond
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, mrfill said:

It starts off getting mooted, then moves to the mulling stage. What comes next?

Usually, quietly forgetting about it. 

But they seem to be doing more than the neighbouring states, whose borders I understand are totally closed. 

24 minutes ago, mrfill said:

But they seem to be doing more than the neighbouring states, whose borders I understand are totally closed. 

24 minutes ago, mrfill said:

And after spending 2 weeks in expensive quarantine, these tourists can look forward to another 2 weeks

quarantine when they return to their home country.  If there is anyone in this government with common sense,

tourists will only return when there is zero quarantine anywhere AND the horrid air pollution problem in all of

Thailand is stopped.  Just take a look at the live aqi for entire country. Deadly. Yesterday, a part of Bangkok had

an aqi reading of 900 !!! Thailand has magnificent natural beauty but....

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Olivie said:

They are slow, but it seems they start to understand that the worst for their economy is coming without foreign tourists...

I was at the auto show at Impact Center on Sunday....your claims of economic armageddon are inflated. every table filled with people negotiating deals for new cars...we bought a new Mazda 2....40K discount off list plus lots of extras.....open til Sunday if anyone looking for new car...end of year they are discounting...Mazda 2 40K off list, Toyota 30K off Yaris list for example....

• Haha 1

Why not just offer a FREE 90 day entry to countries that now have 30 day entry? With the 90 day visa no need to check in with immigration; it would be handled like the 30 day visa is now.  That would draw more interest from tourists; certainly more so than a 45 day visa!   The tourist would view it as getting a little perk back for the extra down-time and costs of the mandatory 14 day quarantine and the covid-19 insurance.  Maybe the traveler wouldn't want to use the whole 90 days but knowing they could would be a good lure for some people!  Just not having to go through the hassle and stress of the immigration office visit for your vacation would be, oh so wonderful!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

So this will be called the QOA Visa, or Quarantine on Arrival before enjoying our Covid free vacation.

You are a genius, Sir!

Just combine that idea with the typical queues at the immigration counters and strictly man only 1 booth per day for 2 hours. Et voila: the passengers will have finished is quarantine before even stamped in.

Sadly, these talking-heads are clueless concerning quarantine as it relates to the length of stay. Thailand is not going to get the tourist numbers when people are under a very expensive, house arrest. 

14 hours ago, madmitch said:

The 45-day tourist visa idea will apply to visitors from the 56 countries where Thailand has granted 30-day visa upon arrival, in order to make up for 14-day quarantine.

Yes, magically all companies now that are struggling under this China virus will give extra 14 days leave to workers so they can enjoy Quarantine in Thailand on top of the normal holidays... and like they would have time now suddenly change their plans according what TAT thinks its good.

10 minutes ago, tonray said:

I was at the auto show at Impact Center on Sunday....your claims of economic armageddon are inflated. every table filled with people negotiating deals for new cars...we bought a new Mazda 2....40K discount off list plus lots of extras.....open til Sunday if anyone looking for new car...end of year they are discounting...Mazda 2 40K off list, Toyota 30K off Yaris list for example....

A snapshot of the "Haves". Sadly, there are many "Have nots" in this country. An auto show may be attracting those who are buying, and those out of work who are just passing time. I wasn't there and didn't take a survey.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Benmart said:

Thailand is not going to get the tourist numbers when people are under a very expensive, house arrest. 

Define "very expensive".

There are ASQ hotels starting at 35K ... for transport from the airport, 3 meals a day, covid tests and medical on call.

• Thanks 1

Of all the hurdles, the TR60 is relatively simple to obtain. Not sure that's the deal-breaker?

Even with some sort of visa-free travel, "tourists" will still have to get a CoE, F2F, ASQ, Insurance and fulfill some of the other current requirements.

Edited by mtls2005

3 minutes ago, Benmart said:

A snapshot of the "Haves". Sadly, there are many "Have nots" in this country. An auto show may be attracting those who are buying, and those out of work who are just passing time. I wasn't there and didn't take a survey.

If you spend any time in areas outside of the tourism sphere..you'll quickly see that life goes on as normal. Of course there will be disclocation in the economy due to loss of tourism revenue...but that is not the  bulk of the Thai economy and never has been. I live in Nonthaburi in a non tourist area and there is nothing slow about business or the economy here....as is all over the country...outside of Chiang Mai, Pattaya, Phuket, etc etc. The rest of the country is pretty much the same as it was before Covid-19...Issan and other impoverished areas have always been downtrodden and the lack of tourists has not changed that excepy maybe the girls working the bars in Pattaya are not sending home cash anymore.

8 hours ago, Don Chance said:

I think they are not sure if asymptomatic vaccinated people can transmit the virus.

If it is 95% effective it would be a small chance a traveler is infected.  I guess it will depend on where they are coming from and how much infecting is there.

If 1 in 500 travelers are infected now, that would be maybe 1 in 5000 with a vaccine. Still not good enough.

Not sure what school of maths you came from but any virus doesn't work like that. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

So this will be called the QOA Visa, or Quarantine on Arrival before enjoying our Covid free vacation.  Not sure anyone can get afford 6 weeks off from work let alone actually obtaining the time off all in a row, in the real normal world.  

No need for tourist visas period then?