Anutin dismisses rumour of epidemic, backs plan to sue illegal border crossers

snoop1130

4 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Your link does not tell the whole story.

It does tell a bit more though, than I first gave credit for. 

It is obviously in Thai only, and is a convulted website, but it does reveal a lot of detail, previously unseen by me anyway, re: total infections in quarantine. That figure is ~ 650, which I had SWAGed at 300, so actually a bit more concerning. There are seven tabs for infection areas. The location is miselading obviously, as these are the ASQ location facilities. But the total is interesting.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mtls2005 said:

It does tell a bit more though, than I first gave credit for. 

It is obviously in Thai only, and is a convulted website, but it does reveal a lot of detail, previously unseen by me anyway, re: total infections in quarantine. That figure is ~ 650, which I had SWAGed at 300, so actually a bit more concerning. There are seven tabs for infection areas. The location is miselading obviously, as these are the ASQ location facilities. But the total is interesting.

Interesting yes, but leaving out very many items. It is meant to showcase how bitchin Thailand is. Don't get me wrong I look at the stats and see a lack of complete honesty. As someone who has reviewed statistical data for most of my career I wish it was truthful and including of all.  Transparency is unfortunately lacking in many respects.  Do we have full hospitals, no we do not, so yes Thailand has been fairly successful at keeping the virus in check. However, hiding certain statistics and not testing openly and randomly shows only what they want you to see.  Do I feel safer here than in the USA, of course I do.  The way this government is reporting things and telling the public it is all under control has created more complacency among the public. Is Thailand far ahead in the way the public wears masks, socially distances and temperature checks, I believe they are. However as I said complacency exists.  The malls now have photo temperature scans and hand scanners you put your hand up to, but few are using the tracking app and it is not checked or verified. Complacency. Be aware of your surroundings.  Samphaeng market with small walkways an thousands of shoppers wakking inches from each other in a semi enclosed area has no log in app for Thai Chana or temperature scans and many wear no masks.   Stay safe.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dialemco said:

There will always be eopleccrossing the border it is a matter of earning money to buy food or die.

From my understanding, the women who work in these kinds of places are the “high priced hookers” so I think it was more of a matter of earning money for Louis Vuitton or slumming it with a Coach bag.

• Like 1

Everything's fine, now you can all go off and enjoy the long, four-day holiday weekend. Lots of people from Bangkok and Chonburi will head north to enjoy the cold weather in large groups of people up there, while many people from the north will head down to places like Pattaya and Hua Hin to crowd together on the beaches. What could possibly go wrong?

Sensibly, they cancelled Songkran this year as they suspected it would increase the spread of the virus. Experience in Europe and the US since then has shown that they were 100% right to do so. Mr P and Auntie must be feeling awfully confident that there's no serious problem in the border areas to allow the coming weekend to go ahead, and I sincerely hope we don't all come to regret it when the New Year celebrations have to be cancelled.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Your link does not tell the whole story. It is what they want you to see.  Manipulated Stats is the issue.  At the beginning of this year you could find all the data on illness related deaths or hospitalizations for flu, pneumonia etc.  When the numbers became an excess over previous years and way above average those stats were hidden and locked.  So tell me again how you believe everything they report is truthful.  Starting to wonder if you are not a banned former member who has reincarnated himself with a new name.  Oct 15 join date coincides with anothers disappearance.

Two conspiracy theories. Paranoia.

The Thai figures are probably wrong, early cases slipping through the cracks. But that is true with every country. Eg the UK has about 20,000 unexplained excess deaths.

I doubt the Thai missed cases would be anywhere near that figure. I suspect in Europe and the USA they would also be much higher than the Thai figures. But you want to harp on about Thailand when they have done an exceptional job.

It is seems some really want the Thai deaths and infections to be higher just so they can get a gotcha moment on Anutin for saying some farangs are dirty for refusing a mask during a pandemic. 
They will never get over it.

Yesterday 8,000 plus dead in farang countries. Zero in Thailand. I think you are barking up the wrong tree. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 6
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Natai Beach said:

Two conspiracy theories. Paranoia.

The Thai figures are probably wrong, early cases slipping through the cracks. But that is true with every country. Eg the UK has about 20,000 unexplained excess deaths.

I doubt the Thai missed cases would be anywhere near that figure. I suspect in Europe and the USA they would also be much higher than the Thai figures. But you want to harp on about Thailand when they have done an exceptional job.

It is seems some really want the Thai deaths and infections to be higher just so they can get a gotcha moment on Anutin for saying some farangs are dirty for refusing a mask during a pandemic. 
They will never get over it.

Yesterday 8,000 plus dead in farang countries. Zero in Thailand. I think you are barking up the wrong tree. 

Just one of many articles. If I could locate the actual data that was downloaded and put in a few of the prior Covid forms by a few others I would do so.  No conspiracy theories here. Just truthfulness.

https://www.eastasiaforum.org/2020/08/06/lifting-the-veil-on-thailands-covid-19-success-story/

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Of course, everyone who illegally crosses is a rich barsteward and not a lowly daily wage earner, silly me for thinking that they could not afford the money for sneaking in.  Must be nothing but rich folks in China eh...

I read they were earning 30.000 for 3 days work 

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

He said most infections have been brought in from outside and the recent illegal border crossers have only infected those close to them

He hopes, after meeting family & friends, taking public transport, visiting bars and shopping malls, the odd flight ha ha ha

Anutin said nobody should be allowed to get away with such selfish behaviour.

Then how do the rotten swine with their filthy snouts in the trough get away with selfishly pillaging the national coffers???

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

He also said that he fully supports Chiang Rai tourism operators who are planning to sue the illegal border crossers for Bt20 million in compensation for loss of business.

Most of these border crossers have not got a pot to p1ss in, so probably a waste of time looking for B20 million in compensation !

It's just another example of Thailand's image with no substance. Of course he and the city knows there is no chance of the money being paid, but just saying it shows how angry they are. It's an empty gesture.

4 hours ago, gunderhill said:

Anutin said the women who entered illegally to avoid the 14-day mandatory quarantine were selfish, immoral and lacked a sense of responsibility.

This  sounds about right but you could widen it to most  people in Thailand.

I was going to say exactly the same, but hesitated because the Thai apologists would start hammering me. But, to support you, let's mention the way they drive and/or me first attitude (selfish), money trumps everything - except maybe saving face (immoral) and never accepting they are wrong or are at fault (lack of responsibility).

• Like 1

I agree with Anutin in a way that these people need to be severely punished for "Anutin said the women who entered illegally to avoid the 14-day mandatory quarantine were selfish, immoral and lacked a sense of responsibility."

However that would only send others illegally crossing away from testing centres and spreading the disease quietly, making things even worse.

Instead of suing them for loss of business, machine guns could be set up at the border, and anyone trying to cross it, just gunned down. Like in good old Thaksin days.

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Thaivisa Golf said:

My partner is from Laos and has been unable to return from Thailand since March. Thai Immigration are charging her THB1,900 a month for an extension to her visit visa. Some of her friends are crossing into Thailand by boat without going through any immigration check points. The big problem is everyone is afraid of the 14 day quarantine either way, as they do not have the funds to pay. If they want to stopp illegal crossings they should invest in free govt quarantine centres asap. Those that cannot afford a hotel quarantine can spend their 14 days in these free centres.The cost would be small compared with an epidemic!!! 

I heard some friends girl friend uses ATM weekly taking unofficial boat rides , all over Nong Khai 

3 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

I am glad he is going to sue these moles, I don’t see any other country  doing the same. It will help to prevent further crossings if they know they will be punished.

I think not. Thais do not learn from others. How they drive, after reading of the daily road carnage, is a good example. And that applies ten-fold to those on motorcycles. Those crossing the border illegally believe that they are special and won't be caught. And, like those who drive and ride dangerously, they might well be right.

• Like 1

There are reports that the illegal border crossings are happening near the border immigration checkpoint, and are visible from the checkpoint. Maybe also sue the government officials who are responsible for enforcing Thai immigration rules, regulations and law?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul told the press on Tuesday that the Covid-19 situation in Thailand has not reached the epidemic level yet.

When I read this opening line in The Nation article, one word struck me as significant:  "yet." [my bold]  Freudian slip?

Edited by LarryLEB
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Natai Beach said:

Ah.
What do your GFs friends do over there?

I see your taking a swipe at me, so nice of you.  If you must know they work here in Thailand and are Burmese just like she is Ethnic Karen.  They send their money home or take it and anything else they buy in Thailand back with them to help their impoverished families.  They don't lay on their backs like the Thai's are doing for easy money.  Enough said.  Most have stayed back in Myanmar since Covid shut things down.  A few are housekeepers for those very wealthy Thais here in Bangkok while there spouses are building the condos that are way overpriced as cheap labor because that is another job a Thai would not do.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:
5 hours ago, gunderhill said:

Anutin said the women who entered illegally to avoid the 14-day mandatory quarantine were selfish, immoral and lacked a sense of responsibility.

This  sounds about right but you could widen it to most  people in Thailand.

I was going to say exactly the same, but hesitated because the Thai apologists would start hammering me. But, to support you, let's mention the way they drive and/or me first attitude (selfish), money trumps everything - except maybe saving face (immoral) and never accepting they are wrong or are at fault (lack of responsibility).

Why are so many foreigners here so desperately obsessed with what they perceive as the Thai people's lack of social, moral and personal responsibility?

I go out and about and every day I have to avoid the odd rude driver, deal with the infrequent grabby merchant and witness the 'down-the-nose' look from the nominal arrogant 'his-so'. However, it doesn't consume my every waking moment like it does for some of the membership here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I see your taking a swipe at me, so nice of you.  If you must know they work here in Thailand and are Burmese just like she is Ethnic Karen.  They send their money home or take it and anything else they buy in Thailand back with them to help their impoverished families.  They don't lay on their backs like the Thai's are doing for easy money.  Enough said.  Most have stayed back in Myanmar since Covid shut things down.  A few are housekeepers for those very wealthy Thais here in Bangkok while there spouses are building the condos that are way overpriced as cheap labor because that is another job a Thai would not do.

Didn’t mention you.

“Dont lie on their backs like Thais do/another job a Thai would not do.” Sounds like you have an issue with Thais. 
Most thai women are not hookers and plenty of Thais work in construction. 

Condo price is a supply and demand thing. A lot cheaper here than other countries.

Sounds like you GF and her friends are probably spreading covid, I take it they are not quarantining. People like that are the problem.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, LarryLEB said:

Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul told the press on Tuesday that the Covid-19 situation in Thailand has not reached the epidemic level yet.

When I read this opening line in The Nation article, one word struck me as significant:  "yet." [my bold]  Freudian slip?

For those that can't see beyond suckling their anti-Thai sentiments with the like-minded on TV, Malaysia, Hong Kong and South Korea are into their third wave of rising infections. Singapore and Hong Kong have shelved their plan for mutually assured travel corridors. Kuala Lumpur's lock-down has been extended to 20 December and for the first-time ever, the vaunted, world-class South Korean test-track-and trace system hasn't stopped the flooding of ER rooms that threatens the collapse of their public healthcare system.

Some here really do need to get out more, if you see what I mean.