Retiring in Thailand

Yes.

You need to obtain a long-term Extension or arrive with a long stay Visa.

An example would be a 2 month retirement extension obtained in Thailand, which would require you to already have a Non-Immigrant Visa, 800,000 in a Thai bank for 2 months and be over 50 y.o. 

This issue was raised some time ago but the only thing permanent in LOS is change. 

Does the 65,000 baht/month have to come from outside the country or can you transfer, let's say, from Bangkok Bank to Kasikorn every month?

17 minutes ago, J Town said:

This issue was raised some time ago but the only thing permanent in LOS is change. 

Does the 65,000 baht/month have to come from outside the country or can you transfer, let's say, from Bangkok Bank to Kasikorn every month?

Or at some Immigration Offices, it can be a combination eg 50k per month plus 200k in the bank.

• Thanks 1

There various avenues to getting a one-year extension for retirement but one of the simplest is:

1.  Arrive on 60-day tourist visa.

2.  Deposit 800,000 in a Thai bank immediately.

3.  During last 30 days of visa, convert to 90-day Non O visa for purpose of retirement.

4.  During last 30 days of this visa, apply for one-year extension.

5.  Leave money in bank account untouched.  Recommend Bangkok Bank.

6.  After granting of extension, report every 90 days that you remain in the country.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DogNo1 said:

There various avenues to getting a one-year extension for retirement but one of the simplest is:

1.  Arrive on 60-day tourist visa.

2.  Deposit 800,000 in a Thai bank immediately.

3.  During last 30 days of visa, convert to 90-day Non O visa for purpose of retirement.

4.  During last 30 days of this visa, apply for one-year extension.

5.  Leave money in bank account untouched.  Recommend Bangkok Bank.

6.  After granting of extension, report every 90 days that you remain in the country.

@ThatManViv > I did PM you a comprehensive guideline document (+20 pages) outlining all Visa options for long-stay in Thailand for +50 years old. 

Obviously the avenue indicated by @DogNo1 is addressed in that document but in far greater detail.

> To access your PM-messages just click the letter-icon next to your Profile when logged in to the Forum.

• Like 2

A friend of mine was at Chaengwattana today trying to renew his visa.  According to him, he had all his paperwork in on time but the officer asked him to pay 15,000 baht.  He had no idea why and an explanation wasn't offered.  He was on time and it wasn't an overstay fee.

Is there some kind of new fee required for a visa renewal?  

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, barefootbangkok said:

A friend of mine was at Chaengwattana today trying to renew his visa.  According to him, he had all his paperwork in on time but the officer asked him to pay 15,000 baht.  He had no idea why and an explanation wasn't offered.  He was on time and it wasn't an overstay fee.

Is there some kind of new fee required for a visa renewal?  

All extensions of stay are priced at 1,900 Baht.

On 12/9/2020 at 10:07 AM, OJAS said:

(1) A bank statement showing minimum balances equal to 800,000 THB in your home country currency.

(2) A medical certificate confirming that you are not suffering from a handful of diseases

(3) A duly certified health insurance policy providing minimum inpatient and outpatient cover equal to 400,000 THB and 40,000 THB respectively.

Drats! Just realised that I omitted from this OA visa general requirements list:-

(4) A police criminal records check from your home country

Edited by OJAS

On 12/9/2020 at 10:52 AM, Ireland32 said:

KK is a Bore , Udon better a lil bit 

But what's it like dealing with the Udon Thani Immigration Office when compared to its Khon Kaen counterpart, though? This particular thread would appear to indicate that Udon Thani are not averse to prescribing rogue requirements (at least in the case of marriage extensions, but, for all we know, in other areas as well):-

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1097006-extension-of-stay-marriage-report-udon-thani-immigration-office-25-april-2019/

Whereas I have not been able to track down on here any similarly negative reports about the Khon Kaen office. IMHO the ease of dealing with Immigration should be a paramount consideration in determining where one would like to put down one's sticks in LOS. On which basis Khon Kaen would appear to be infinitely preferable to Udon Thani!

If you fulfill the conditions try to get an Immigration NON-O Visa. !!!

Then you don't have all those troubles with the "Thai Health Insurance" , if you are insured in your home country !

Edited by puck2
  • Confused 1

On 12/9/2020 at 11:20 AM, Peter Denis said:

@ThatManViv > I did PM you a comprehensive guideline document (+20 pages) outlining all Visa options for long-stay in Thailand for +50 years old. 

Obviously the avenue indicated by @DogNo1 is addressed in that document but in far greater detail.

> To access your PM-messages just click the letter-icon next to your Profile when logged in to the Forum.

Hi Peter - could you please PM the comprehensive guideline document to me? I'll be 50 in under 12 months so this will be really useful. Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

UbonJoe, have any advice how to get one of these from/in the USA?

"(3) A duly certified health insurance policy providing minimum inpatient and outpatient cover equal to 400,000 THB and 40,000 THB respectively."

I typically carry very good traveller insurance, but as I recall, it may have to be from a Thai Company and/or a person might have to reside in Thailand for certain number of days? And/or typical costs, I've had a number of O-As, but I'm guessing it's no longer a good/best   path for 2-3 month long stays twice/year

PS: I'm thinking if you arrive on a Tourist Visa, many Banks (esp BBL) aren't going to allow one to open a new acct, to meet the extension deposit

57 minutes ago, chubby said:

UbonJoe, have any advice how to get one of these from/in the USA?

"(3) A duly certified health insurance policy providing minimum inpatient and outpatient cover equal to 400,000 THB and 40,000 THB respectively."

You can find info about the insurance from Thai companies or a certificate from a foreign insurance certificate here.

https://longstay.tgia.org/home/companiesoa

58 minutes ago, chubby said:

PS: I'm thinking if you arrive on a Tourist Visa, many Banks (esp BBL) aren't going to allow one to open a new acct, to meet the extension deposit

It should not be that hard to open a bank account on a tourist visa. What would help is to do affidavit at the US embassy or consulate in Chiang Mai confirming your address. Just having the embassy stamp on it helps a lot.