SpaceX's Starship prototype explodes on landing after test launch

webfact

SpaceX's Starship prototype explodes on landing after test launch

2020-12-10T005856Z_1_LYNXMPEGB9025_RTROPTP_4_SPACE-EXPLORATION-STARSHIP.JPG

SpaceX's first super heavy-lift Starship SN8 rocket explodes during a return-landing attempt after it launched from their facility on a test flight in Boca Chica, Texas U.S. December 9, 2020. REUTERS/Gene Blevins

(Reuters) - SpaceX's Starship rocket prototype exploded during a return-landing attempt on Wednesday, minutes after an apparently uneventful test launch from the company's facility in Boca Chica, Texas, live video of the flight showed.

The Starship rocket destroyed was a 16-story-tall prototype for a heavy-lift launch vehicle being developed by Elon Musk's private space company to carry humans and 100 tons of cargo on future missions to the moon and Mars.

This is the moment SpaceX's unmanned Starship SN8 test rocket prototype exploded on return landing following its launch from Boca Chica, Texas.

The self-guided rocket blew up as it touched down on a landing pad following a controlled descent. The test flight had been intended to reach an altitude of 41,000 feet, propelled by three of SpaceX's newly developed Raptor engines for the first time.

Musk said in a tweet immediately following the accident that the rocket's "fuel header tank pressure was low" during descent, "causing touchdown velocity to be high."

He added that SpaceX had obtained "all the data we needed" from the test.

(Reporting by Joey Roulettee in Washington; Editing by Leslie Adler and Stephen Coates)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-12-10

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Elkski said:

I'm becoming an Elan fan and surely a space x fan.  This mission is to be considered 99% success.   So many firsts.  The raptors worked fine.   Flipped over to belly  flop for the transition to controlled falling rock reentry test.  Nose thrusters worked perfect to upright the ship for landing.  All data to touchdown was retrieved. Just a tad hard landing.   I guess reason was the fuel tank pressure was low for some reason.  Yuu can see the raptor plume looks weak.   It explains hitting the far edge of the pad and landing to fast.   

This is buck rogers stuff.  

Rip SN8.  SN9 is almost ready to roll.  Let's hope not to much damage to the facility as there was a lengthy fire that occurred  quite a distance from the initial crash site.  

I'm stoked. 

Yup, awesome.  The fuel delivery problem will be solved in short order.  The rest of the flight was frikken magic!  I toured the main Hawthorne CA facility a few years ago, that was great.  Brought back memories as I used to work in some of the buildings there in the early 90's when it was Northrop ????  ????  nudge nudge.

47 minutes ago, mikebike said:

Military budgets of western countries could solve all the world's problems too... what's your point? Do you live in this world or a fantasy one?

I guess your point is that everything is fine with the world as it is, and that those military budgets are what they should be?

1 hour ago, Susco said:

I guess your point is that everything is fine with the world as it is, and that those military budgets are what they should be?

No. But whinging about how things are does zero. 

Are YOU an activist out there every day beating the drum? Or do you just cry on random forums?

Edited by mikebike

4 hours ago, natway09 said:

The unsuccessful landing could have fed thousands 

I blame it all on the Wright brothers, just think how much money over the years could have been saved by not building an aircraft industry that could have been given to the hungry if they had not invented flight.

Hope you are feeling guilty for cost of the airplane and and fuel that brought you over here, how many could that have fed? 

Bet you don't sleep well for all the worry.

• Like 1

Feeding millions could also be done by groups like Green Peace. or the Sierra Clubs,

Space travel may be the next big adventure.  How about those starving people

caused by that fighting in Africa? or in Yemen, or some other places.

Musk is spending his money the way he wants to.

Geezer

While reading this I was recalling the images of early failures in the US space program.  So much growth came from those early failures that we ended up walking on the moon.  Thankfully, in this instance, no one was aboard while trying to land.