Britons may need visas to stay in EU more than three months: French minister

snoop1130

6 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

Of course what we don't know is whether this will be reciprocal, with the French being required to do the same to come to the UK for more than three months, or whether it is the French, (quite uncharacteristically) being awkward. What is more, as France is within the Schengen Zone, wouldn't it have to be a Schengen Visa?

Could I be cheeky, and suggest that perhaps, just perhaps, the French real estate industry has been lobbying for this - scenting some rather nice restored properties in the Dordogne and Provence at fire sale prices?

"Sacre Bleu mes amis, ça ne peut pas être le cas"!

"Could I be cheeky, and suggest that perhaps, just perhaps, the French real estate industry has been lobbying for this - scenting some rather nice restored properties in the Dordogne and Provence at fire sale prices?"

Because of a visa requirement like this? Highly doubtful.

Yes, it would be Schengen.

Just now, stevenl said:

"Could I be cheeky, and suggest that perhaps, just perhaps, the French real estate industry has been lobbying for this - scenting some rather nice restored properties in the Dordogne and Provence at fire sale prices?"

Because of a visa requirement like this? Highly doubtful.

Yes, it would be Schengen.

That last comment , about the real estate, was a little bit tongue in cheek!

Mind you, it is the French...

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

Could I be cheeky, and suggest that perhaps, just perhaps, the French real estate industry has been lobbying for this - scenting some rather nice restored properties in the Dordogne and Provence at fire sale prices?

I think there's a couple of Remainer posters who have aspirations to be the next Dick Strawbridge & Angel Adoree and can see their chateau dreams disappearing. Sorry Monsieur Dick, you did not bother to sort out your residence formalities, so your property is not accessible to you anymore.

Others may already have restored their own tumbled down gites or holiday homes and are appalled at the prospect of their status quo and long weekends being ended.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Proboscis said:

Indeed. That would come into the negotiation. But what should also trouble the UK is the number of EU agriculture workers they depend on to plant and harvest crops. This dependence might actually grow in a no-deal Brexit as food imports become more expensive. THe UK will have to decide whether to allow a visa exemption to those East European agriculture workers or to grant them work visas.

Here's a thought...  With millions of Brits currently out of work, why don't they hire locals?  Sure, they may have to pay them a decent wage.  But with imports becoming more expensive, they can afford it and stay competitive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Loiner said:

You should ask your EU countries the question in a more specific way. “Do you still want the UK’s tourist business?”

Start with Spain, Portugal and Greece. 

You think, those British pensionario's will prefer the foggy and wet Tiny Islands ?  A simple semi-automatic prolongation of visa based on.. sufficient means, health insurances and/or property ? With a right to stay and to own, different as in Thailand.

Why you think, an automatic visa of 3 months will be given to British ? Simply: spend your holiday money in our warmer member states.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Can you eat sovereignty?

Also please explain how the UK ever lost sovereignty while being in the EU.

The Brexiteers simply donot habe an idea how the EU works.

That the ONLY cremium, where decisions are taken = EU council, consisting of the heads of government of the EU member states, till 31 dec 19: inclusive the British PM. Now, Bris can wait till somebody wants to see him.

The EU Commission, a kind of preparing and executing committee, with a commissioner form each member state. They make up the presentations to the EU council, so .. Ursula Von der Leyen has to make a report of her meeting with Boris, so the EU council can decide. Same Barrier.

The EU Parliament, till last year also 2ith 75 UK members.

The Brexiteers think, just like in UK, somebody first has to be elected one vote before the others, in.. barony Three Cottages on Ditch, to be clever enough to negotiate. For the rest, just as in the UK, all employees are appointed. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, puipuitom said:

You think, those British pensionario's will prefer the foggy and wet Tiny Islands ?  A simple semi-automatic prolongation of visa based on.. sufficient means, health insurances and/or property ? With a right to stay and to own, different as in Thailand.

Why you think, an automatic visa of 3 months will be given to British ? Simply: spend your holiday money in our warmer member states.

11 hours ago, Victornoir said:

You should ask yourself the question in a more subtle way.

Do you think that the nations of the EU need or want your visit? M. Barnier 's answer on behalf of the 27 seems clear: Stay home.

So, are Spain, Portugal and Greece encouraging UK tourists, or is M. Barnier telling them all, on behalf or the 27, to Stay Home? You euros had better get your acts together, because you can't even agree on TVF.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Loiner said:

You are getting your covid restrictions mixed up with your three month visa requirement. All your Remainer moaning is not even worth mentioning to the general UK population. If, or eventually when, you go on holiday just get prepared - simples. Alternatively if it is all too much for you, don't go.

I only got my passport dates mixed up.i was pointing out the things that will definitely be different for UK passport holders.

Also I passed on the FOCO advice about passports.just rein your neck in a bit.

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, impulse said:

Here's a thought...  With millions of Brits currently out of work, why don't they hire locals?  Sure, they may have to pay them a decent wage.  But with imports becoming more expensive, they can afford it and stay competitive.

That is a thought that has already been played out. When covid restrictions kicked in earlier this year, the eastern Europeans were not able to come to work at the beginning and the growers tried to hire locals. Of course, by locals is not meant people living nearby but people from the UK. It was thought that the unemployment caused by covid would create an army of willing agricultural workers. Unfortunately the numbers who showed up were disappointingly small. And they did not have the manual skills that the east Europeans have. Eventually, the restrictions were eased so that plane loads of east Europeans were allowed to enter the UK to do the work.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, puipuitom said:

When I cross the impenetrable, heavily defended, uncrossable Belgium-Dutch or the German-Dutch border, I need nothing. Not a half day to get a visa, simply: NOTHING. Same for all inter EU borders, from Tallinn to Cadiz .523402039_NL-DborderatGlanerbrug.jpg.8629c672093baae805d499d730bccfc4.jpg

NL-D grens Kerkrade .jpg

border between Belgium and Netherlands.jpg

German-Dutch border.jpg

Well if that's your argument. Nah I will still leave. Enjoy your freedom of movement with every Tom Dick and whoever.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Proboscis said:

Unfortunately the numbers who showed up were disappointingly small. And they did not have the manual skills that the east Europeans have.

Manual skills what are these exactly. I admit that some UK people have a virus called 'lazyitious' but bending over and picking up things, I didn't realise they were better trained.

2 hours ago, Proboscis said:

Eventually, the restrictions were eased so that plane loads of east Europeans were allowed to enter the UK to do the work

Have you any links for this. I would be intrigued to see some evidence other than a hunch.

• Like 2