UK tells EU: back down by Sunday night or we'll walk

snoop1130

A comment on Guido states 5 year transitional period for fishing with the eu paying 25% of the value of fish caught back to the UK in the meantime.

I suppose it gives time for the fleets to gear up although the waters could be cleared out by then if the factory boats get tricky.

27 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

So here we are, as predicted, over and over, a last minute deal is being signed.  Now we get all the back tracking from "No Deal" pundits.  All the spin on how this is a "great deal" for the UK and no doubt the ERD will find a way to claim it as success for them.

But it doesn't really matter.  We now have to live with it.  Nobody expected a good deal to be achieved with Johnson as PM so none of this is a surprise.  In fact it is all pretty much as predicted.

Whatever the immediate claims are needs to be checked against the actual text of the deal.

Not that I’m suggesting Johnson would misrepresent the deal in his stages announcement.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

IT appears deal was made during the night, they should announce it any time now.... after all some may have come to some good sense....ooooppps, it looks like I am (again) late on the news

Edited by Mavideol

3 hours ago, evadgib said:

Full Umbilical Severance does it for me. Anything less leaves us open to being drawn back in by the very people that tried their best to thwart our historic & democratic decision to leave.

I  guess (from what the reports are saying) you will be disappointed  555

3 hours ago, evadgib said:

Full Umbilical Severance does it for me. Anything less leaves us open to being drawn back in by the very people that tried their best to thwart our historic & democratic decision to leave.

There are no winners.  There were never going to be.  But you can be sure some will claim it is another "great victory"!

• Like 1

But the December 9 dinner was also the beginning of an understanding between Mr Johnson and the president of the European Commission. 

The two, both children of EU officials and alumni of the same European school in Brussels, had a tete-a-tete alone for 45 minutes. 

That connection would come into the foreground late in the Brexit endgame with the two in constant phone contact, exchanging offers and counter-offers over fishing quotas.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/12/24/brexit-deal-stalled-last-minute-cant-just-shut-long-isnt-deal/

1 hour ago, dunroaming said:

So here we are, as predicted, over and over, a last minute deal is being signed.  Now we get all the back tracking from "No Deal" pundits.  All the spin on how this is a "great deal" for the UK and no doubt the ERD will find a way to claim it as success for them.

But it doesn't really matter.  We now have to live with it.  Nobody expected a good deal to be achieved with Johnson as PM so none of this is a surprise.  In fact it is all pretty much as predicted.

Looking at various twitter feeds the "No Deal pundits" are a mixture of hard core leavers and hard core remainers/rejoiners as neither side seems happy at the moment

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

As I though, the Brits traded 10% fish quotas to save the future of their electric car industry

What do read here? 

They are still discussing fish and the latest is they will be discussing fish for a few more hours

ok Boris surrendering will be announced in a few hours today ????

the deal is done, they have to read proof it and make it official to the press

then we have to wait for the UK parliament approval and the EU27 approval, so we could be in for another 6months battle next year, so all good ????

Edited by GrandPapillon
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, Loiner said:

My guess is that hard core Leavers will accept it and carry on to make the best of it. Remainers will of course carry on moaning. 

Yeah if you look back to May 2016 before the referendum, and assuming the early reports on the deal are right, I think most Leavers would have taken this result if you offered it to them at that point.

Not perfect, but maybe 90% of what we wanted. You could argue 95% depending on your position.

The EU has made their point to try and stop others leaving and their Union collapsing. I think their position re. the UK will quietly soften over the next 5 years. It won't be reported by the BBC and Sky but it will happen behind the scenes. 

The EU problems will remain. Glad to be out. Soooooo glad.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, GrandPapillon said:

ok Boris surrendering will be announced in a few hours today ????

the deal is done, they have to read proof it and make it official to the press

then we have to wait for the UK parliament approval and the EU27 approval, so we could be in for another 6months battle next year, so all good ????

Do you believe your Fisherman will  be happy to sit at home for 6 months

• Like 1