THAI delays relaunch of domestic flights until Jan 1 after new cases found

webfact

10 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Wait, I thought that Covid was under control and all cases were being treated and the rest had entered quarantine who were entering the country.  Only cases listed in the media were the Medical staff from BNH and all have been placed in isolation as well as the cases in Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai.  Is Thai airways just concerned over the possibilities of people canceling flights and thus deciding to cancel the flights ahead of time?  The other carriers are not, sounds silly to me.

No different from any other government, they hate giving out solid information. Much better if it's just vague reassurances.

Perhaps Thai Airways has a better conduit of data than the other airlines, and that's why they are pulling the plug.

I know it has a tad of conspiracy theory; however, it is one hypothesis.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

While driving in my provincial region since the COVID thing started, I have several times been overtaken by a caravan of Thairung Humvie copies with govt emblems, driving like the devil was chasing them, I think tracing and proactive action is very much on the table in Thailand.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

So rather than expose yet more of their financially dire straits to a gullible public they come up with this cock n bull story

Seems like a reasonable read on this "article".

WE is clearly in financial limbo, not particularly clear how the Central Bankruptcy Court will handle them. They were only "absorbed" by TG a few montha ago/

Buying a WE ticket should be approached with caution, IMO. 

Any money used on a TG ticket might as well be burned or flushed.

Maybe best to paint over the THAI brand with black paint and start over. Thai Smile could work as  a do-over.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Thai Airways is wise to hold off until mass tourism returns. The routes Chiang Mai and Phuket are only realistic as subsidised feeder routes into their international connections of which there are currently none without severe restrictions. Nobody here is going to book Thai when domestic fares on Low Cost Carriers such as Nok, Air Asia, Thai Lion and Vietjet are so cheap. Besides; using B777 on routes such as these is insane and probably couldn't even cover costs if full in all classes.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Seems like a reasonable read on this "article".

WE is clearly in financial limbo, not particularly clear how the Central Bankruptcy Court will handle them. They were only "absorbed" by TG a few montha ago/

Buying a WE ticket should be approached with caution, IMO. 

Any money used on a TG ticket might as well be burned or flushed.

Maybe best to paint over the THAI brand with black paint and start over. Thai Smile could work as  a do-over.

The financial position within the Thai International Group is interesting.

When they announced it back in 2011 it was supposed to be making a profit within 2 years.

That being said it has never been clear to me how WE really looked like a real LCC. 

And that is a conundrum, since they only ever publish consolidated financials, so it's been impossible to separate TG & WE's numbers.

Nobody ever mentions WE in the ongoing tragedy of TG, yet it's fate is intrinsically linked to the plight of Momma Bear 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

There are scads of dailies BKK/DMK - HKT and CNX. VZ, PG, WE, FD, DD, SL all operating flights.

TG is in bankruptcy protection, so they have different issues re: starting up routes. Probably not worth the effort to dust off the aircraft, pilots, staff just to lose more money?

FYI Their pilots do monthly SIM sessions. Why 777?  My guess is that within the Boeing crews they have more ex military pilots and do not forget, the external company hired has American roots.

22 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

This is where the insanity that is TG gets totally weird and nonsensical..

Thai Smile a wholly owned TG subsidiary, yet it still fly's to CNX and their other domestic stations, apparently  oblivious to the risks of covid!

Now if I had to speculate, I think they just can't afford to fly a widebody (remember TG is a 100% widebody fleet) on domestic routes. It makes no sense anyway, but thats another story.

So rather than expose yet more of their financially dire straits to a gullible public they come up with this cock n bull story

Yet, the route they want to re introduce was their most profitable in the past, it never should have been canceled in the first place, they mostly used A 330.

2 minutes ago, SomchaiCNX said:

FYI Their pilots do monthly SIM sessions. Why 777?  My guess is that within the Boeing crews they have more ex military pilots and do not forget, the external company hired has American roots.

Why a 77X?

Well thats easy, the options within the TG fleet none of them are a good fit for 500 odd mile domestic route. 

Pick your poison; B77X, A330, A350, A380(that just makes me laugh, so they probably would), or a B78X.

Of their fleet the 78X would be the least worst option

Just now, GinBoy2 said:

Why a 77X?

Well thats easy, the options within the TG fleet none of them are a good fit for 500 odd mile domestic route. 

Pick your poison; B77X, A330, A350, A380(that just makes me laugh, so they probably would), or a B78X.

Of their fleet the 78X would be the least worst option

My pick would have been A220 ????  Perfect aircraft for this region and current situation. You are right those aircraft are not suited for short trips and on top of that you lose a cycle each time.

3 minutes ago, SomchaiCNX said:

My pick would have been A220 ????  Perfect aircraft for this region and current situation. You are right those aircraft are not suited for short trips and on top of that you lose a cycle each time.

If I had to design an new TG for Thailand this would be my dream fleet;

A220 - Longer range domestic, CNX, HKT etc

EMB175 -Shorter range domestic, KKC etc

A319/320 - local International routes

Then keep the existing widebodies; B77X, A330, A350, B78X, but dumping the A380's, which were always doomed to failure for TG, for long range International.

Delusional I know lol

• Thanks 1

Do you wanna have a laugh? read this:

Thai Airways taking delivery of three new 777s

Thai Airways will be taking delivery of three new Boeing 777-300ERs shortly, the first of which will potentially be in the carrier’s possession within weeks. Thai Airways committed to leasing these planes back in 2018, though this is the first I’ve heard of it. Below you can already see some of the purple of Thai Airways’ livery on the tail of the 777 in Boeing’s Everett line.

Why is it funny? because Thai is junking a bunch of 747's and a handful of the 777s the very same planes they are getting a delivery of soon...

https://onemileatatime.com/thai-airways-new-777/#:~:text=Bottom line-,Thai Airways taking delivery of three new 777s,I've heard of it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Thai Airways taking delivery of three new 777s

Think these are in limbo?

Thai Airways puts the brakes on new Boeing 777s

The airline says it's in negotiations with Boeing over the fate of three factory-fresh 777s with new first class suites.

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news/thai-airways-new-boeing-777-deliveries

But then again...

Exclusive: BOC Aviation agrees 777-300ER leases

Singapore-based lessor BOC Aviation confirms that it has outstanding orders for three new Boeing 777-300ER aircraft and that all three aircraft have been contractually agreed to go on operating lease with Thai Airways. The aircraft are expected to be delivered in 2021.

The first aircraft has been produced; it was painted into Thai Airways’ base colours this week. Airfinance Journal understands that the three incoming 777-300ERs will have the internal airline code ‘77V’ and that they will be the first Thai Airways 777-300ER aircraft to feature first class seating.

https://www.airfinancejournal.com/articles/3581522/exclusive-boc-aviation-agrees-new-777-300er-leases

YMMV.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1