Actress Barbara Windsor dies aged 83 - media

webfact

Actress Barbara Windsor dies aged 83 - media

2020-12-11T002835Z_1_LYNXMPEGBA00Q_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Actress Barbara Windsor of television soap opera "Eastenders" arrives for the British Academy Television Awards 2009 at the Royal Festival Hall in London April 26, 2009. REUTERS/Luke MacGregor

(Reuters) - British actress Barbara Windsor, known for her role as landlady Peggy Mitchell in the soap "EastEnders", has died aged 83, British media reported on Friday, citing a statement from her husband.

"It is with deep sadness that I can confirm that my darling wife Barbara passed away at 8.35 pm on Thursday 10 December at a London Care Home", Windsor's husband Scott Mitchell said in a statement quoted by media.

"Her passing was from Alzheimer's/Dementia and Barbara eventually died peacefully and I spent the last 7 days by her side," the statement continued.

Windsor had been diagnosed with the disease in 2014 and had moved to a care home earlier this year.

She debuted as Peggy Mitchell on EastEnders in 1994, taking a sabbatical from the show for medical reasons in 2003, before returning as a series regular in 2005.

Windsor quit the long-running soap in 2009, saying she wanted to spend more time with her husband whom she had married in 2000.

The actress said at the time that the role as landlady Peggy Mitchell, which saw her famously shouting "Get outta my pub" at startled locals, had changed her life.

Before EastEnders, Windsor had been mostly known as a comedy actress. She made her film acting debut in "The Belles of St Trinian's" in 1954 and shot to prominence with the innuendo-laden "Carry On" series in the 1960s and 70s.

"It was not the ending that Barbara or anyone else living with this very cruel disease deserves," her husband said after she passed away.

"I will always be immensely proud of Barbara's courage, dignity and generosity dealing with her own illness and still trying to help others by raising awareness for as long as she could," he added.

(Reporting by Kanishka Singh in Bengaluru; Editing by Karishma Singh)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-12-11

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, faraday said:

It was all good, clean fun, with innuendo, but never smutty.

It's a shame really how 'we' have drifted a long way from all that.

Mind you, she did somewhat praise The Krays....

The Kray's may have been Bad Boys to their enemy's and so called 'Law Enforcement'  but to Local people they were Robin Hood characters who would help out anyone who hit hard times on their 'Manor'.   They also kept strict order in the local community and woe betide any little runt that may think a Pensioner's cash or belongings were easy pickings !

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

RIP Babs 

I remember for a friends birthday about 10 of us went to see Carry on Camping at the local fleapit, we were all around 8 or 9 years old.

Birthday boys mum and dad nearly died when the infamous scene appeared but it gave us a lot to talk about at school for a few weeks.

That was released in 1969. I never saw it in the cinema in the UK, only in the cinema in India in 1990.

6 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

The Kray's may have been Bad Boys to their enemy's and so called 'Law Enforcement'  but to Local people they were Robin Hood characters who would help out anyone who hit hard times on their 'Manor'.   They also kept strict order in the local community and woe betide any little runt that may think a Pensioner's cash or belongings were easy pickings !

Just like Doug and Dinsdale Pirahna...

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Carry on Camping

Babs spots the bloke chomping a pear 

" Ooh what a lovely pear " 

He said " you took the words right out of my mouth " .. 

Carry on Abroad 

Babs to Sid in the pub ordering a drink 

" have you got a large one "

Sid " I've had no complaints so far  " .. with that dirty cackle only S J could do .. 

There's a gold mine of one liners and double entendres in all the Carry on films not to mention some of the absolute stars who appeared in them .. among them has to be Kenneth Williams in Carry on Cleo when Bilious swords him with him running away shouting 

" infamy infamy they've all got it in-for-me " ..

To remember Babs I'm gonna binge on them Carry on films this weekend .. 

"infamy infamy they've all got it in-for-me"

I remember Frankie Howerd also used that line in Up Pompeii.