Long weekend: TAT upbeat as "lively" weekend sees 3.1 million Thai tourists splash out 12 billion baht

rooster59

5 hours ago, Traubert said:

You don't really get how an economy works do you?

I understand that Thai people going on holiday in Thailand spend money getting to and from their destination and also spend at the destination.

Of course by spending money elsewhere means that where they usually spend their money at home loses that amount of money.

All it achieves is simply the same money spent in a different locality so there is no real gain to the economy.

OTOH if the tourists were foreigners. then Thailand would gain income and foreign tourists would normally spend more than Thai tourists.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

With so many Thais having lost their jobs in the past year. I wonder where all those billions come from they "splash out" (correct worded for one particular pedant), during all those extra holidays.

Must be from the 500 baht they got from the government

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

2 more Holidays this month that the Thais will be spending money during are Christmas, even though many have no clue what it is really about, and then New Years Eve.  Wonder how much debt will be carried into the new year.

Too much I think.

I think that if the government doesn't get its act together very soon there will be more layoffs, more businesses closing and more people deep in debt and out of work.

• Like 1

Yuthasak said that 3.11 million Thais - trips would be undertaken and the economy would get a 12.6 billion baht injection.

No mention of how many actually DID take a trip and how much was actually spent.

Don't you find it odd the weekend is barely over and they have all these statistics already compiled?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bwpage3 said:

Yuthasak said that 3.11 million Thais - trips would be undertaken and the economy would get a 12.6 billion baht injection.

No mention of how many actually DID take a trip and how much was actually spent.

Don't you find it odd the weekend is barely over and they have all these statistics already compiled?

No.

9 hours ago, BigStar said:

Oh, the naivete. Addressed here.

Lol

Yep one solution fits all !

You really believe that the 'multiplier ' effect comes into play under the present economic circumstances ?

Furthermore you have still not explained how TAT produce specific numbers in advance.

Naive you say !

• Like 2

On 12/12/2020 at 11:54 AM, mr mr said:

what about the poll that said the majority of thais were staying home this long weekend ? 

Well there were 3.1 million, give or take the odd few couples that TAT may have missed.

The population of Thailand is around 69 million.

The majority stayed at home!

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

I think there has to be a ballance between the 2 , not easy to achieve granted.

The Thais have put healthcare first and they can't be blamed for that.

The western countries that put the economy first have also decimated certain business sectors , hospitality venues in the UK are struggling everywhere, not just tourist venues.

I was at the food court in Bang Saen market last night, mobbed, nobody struggling for business there.

On 12/12/2020 at 7:08 PM, kuzmabruk said:

4,000 Baht per person over 4 days, or 1,000 Baht per day is not much spending in comparison to foreigners on holiday, but it sure is a shot in the arm for the tourism industry.

Probably more than the haggling hippies the country normally brings in... Or the stone table philosophers in here haha

10 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

You really believe that the 'multiplier ' effect comes into play under the present economic circumstances ?

Yep, it unquestionably does; TAT knows that quite well, 'cause they ain't stupid, hence the promotions. As you have no reasons to show that it doesn't--not that you ever knew anything about the multiplier effect in the first place anyway--it simply means you're enjoying staying in denial.???? Perfectly acceptable and common around here; don't worry in the slightest, carry on.

Furthermore you have still not explained how TAT produce specific numbers in advance.

So much spoon feeding needed, poor thing. TAT's been at this for decades. They had the account of bookings already and preliminary verification coming in from from the hotels, wats and businesses from the first day. And so it's simple and normal, as they did, to extrapolate based on past performance. Basic statistical analysis any (cough) college kid could do.

You see EXACTLY the same thing in Western countries, agencies and news orgs forecasting right & left about how many travelers are going to be on the road or in the air during upcoming holidays. Sometimes they even estimate after the fact:

TSA . . .estimated last year that during the peak Christmas and New Year's travel days (between December 19 and January 5 for 2018), about 41 million passengers traveled through security screening checkpoints nationwide

LOL. Of course, we never hop up and down and spew nonsense about estimates over there. Even when they're wrong.????

Now if you read even the miserable summary of the article closely, which we'd never want to do, you'd find that TAT never said that's how many have traveled already. Note: trips would be undertaken. Would be. If you (gasp!) look at the original Thai, then it's completely clear that TAT is estimating. The Thai word ประมาณ, "estimate," appears no less than 7 (seven) times including in the lead just under the title.

Couldn't possibly be clearer. So TAT wasn't misleading anyone. You simply misled yourself through inattention, superficiality, bias, and selective reading. 

Naive you say !

Thank you for further confirmation! That was more fun. Cheers! ????

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, 0815 said:

Could some native English speaker please enlighten me what "splash out" means ?

Yes. That's coded web marketing lingo for "Advertisers! Get ready for at least 10 pages of views and lots of clicks. We're gon' wind 'em up again!"

1 hour ago, 0815 said:

A few ways to explain it but I think the best one was reported as being from Bill Clinton, who when asked if he had ever given gifts to gain favour admitted he once 'splashed out' on a new dress for Monica Lewinsky.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, 0815 said:

Have you ever considered doing a Google search all on your own?

I just did one on "splash out", and it means in English just what I thought it did.