Registering name in Blue Book

Interesting as when our daughter was born my wife updated her blue book and it appears they added my name as well as our daughters.

She has updated it to remove her brothers whom we kicked out of the house and when her mom and dad died. My name still appears. 

On 12/17/2020 at 8:15 AM, jakestevernson said:

richard_smith237

I have made an appointment with the Embassy and a fee has been paid online.

Will I need to make an appointment with the MFA to get the notarized/certified copy of passport translated?

Thanks JS

Before you go down the road of obtaining the documentation it might be preferable to visit your local Amphur ( District Office) and check on their requirements as it varies from office to office.

From some of the posts on this site some offices it seems require very little documentation.

When I obtained my blue book a few years ago they wanted everything apart from a photograph of the dog.

9 hours ago, talahtnut said:

To my surprise the missus has put my name in the blue book, I am not a pr or anything.

How long ago was this? There are stories of guys being added to the blue house book about 20 years ago (I’m not sure if the Yellow house book was around then).

The Ops situation is quite clear: There is no point confusing the issue, he’s not on Permanent Residence, the regs are fairly clear on that one regardless of an officer here or there having allowed it made a mistake etc, or it happening 20 years ago ! - As a Foreigner the OP cannot get a Blue Tabien Baan House book, he needs to apply for a Yellow Tabien House Book for a foreigner. 

The Op has been to the Amphur Office and they’ve told him he needs to go to British Embassy first and then Immigration at Chang Wattana.

For anyone with first hand experience of getting their Yellow Tabien Baan house book its clear what this instruction is: Get Notarised Copy of Passport, Get the MFA to verify a Translation of that Notarised Copy of Passport.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

How long ago was this? There are stories of guys being added to the blue house book about 20 years ago (I’m not sure if the Yellow house book was around then).

For now: Unless PR foreigners cannot be added to the Yellow House Book. There is no point confusing the issue, the regs are fairly clear on that one regardless of an officer here or there having allowed it made a mistake etc, or it happening 20 years ago !

The Op has been to the Amphur Office and they’ve told him he needs to go to British Embassy first and then Immigration at Chang Wattana. For anyone with first hand experience of getting their Yellow Tabien Baan house book its clear what this instruction is: Get Notarised Copy of Passport, Get the MFA to verify a Translation of that Notarised Copy of Passport.

Must be 10 years back I got my yellow book In Ubon, I didn't do anything much, just turned up with the head man of my area and filled in a couple of forms, which did the translating, it was a doddle that cost a few baht, though I did bung the head man a few baht........????

29 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

Before you go down the road of obtaining the documentation it might be preferable to visit your local Amphur ( District Office) and check on their requirements as it varies from office to office.

From some of the posts on this site some offices it seems require very little documentation.

When I obtained my blue book a few years ago they wanted everything apart from a photograph of the dog.

The Op has been to the Amphur Office - it appears they were typically vague on the requirements, but for those who’ve been through the process the information from Amphur office is fairly clear. 

On 12/15/2020 at 10:34 AM, jakestevernson said:

but the district office said that I need to go to British Embassy first and then Immigration at Chang Wattana. They were polite, but not very clear on what I need to do.

Do you of you guys know what I will need to ask the Embassy to do? (Translate Passport or Certify that I am British, etc). Any help or advice would be appreciated.

1 minute ago, transam said:

Must be 10 years back I got my yellow book In Ubon, I didn't do anything much, just turned up with the head man of my area and filled in a couple of forms, which did the translating, it was a doddle that cost a few baht, though I did bung the head man a few baht........????

As StevieAus wrote - I had to provide everything except photos of the dog...  If I had a dog they may have asked for one. 

The local Amphur officers were extremely polite and the poor lady was processing documents and working for about 2 hours solid - Just lots of paper work. 

It's very clear, each Amphur deals with this very differently. I had to wait over a month for an appointment with the Amphur office. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Well, I cant remember the dates mate,  possibly one was about 20 years ago,  another one

was about 5 years ago,  all ownership went to the missus immediately as I hate Thai bits of

stupid paper.  Thailand is a queer old place isn't it.

On 12/18/2020 at 11:39 AM, StevieAus said:

Yes Steve, this is what they asked me to do more or less. Hopefully it will be ok when I next go down there.

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys,

Just an update.

After visiting my local District Office in Bangkok and following their advice to get my passport notarised (which I submitted on my second visit to the office) I had to wait 3 weeks for my final and 3rd appointment.

I had to bring my passport, 2 photographs (specific size) work permit, marriage certificate, children's birth certificates and my wife's Tabien Baan (Blue) Book, Wife's ID, Thai Witness ID (they also had to come for the appointment - but only had to stay for the first part) and pay the fee (a very small amount).

I came for my appointment and it took around 1.5 hours to receive the 'Yellow Book' with my name on it. It also included the names of both my mother and father. I waited to receive the 'Pink ID' Card which took around another hour. This would have been completed much more quickly, but there was a long queue at the office due to the many local Thai's upgrading their ID  card. During the process I was asked what my blood group was, my religion, my height was measured and two thumbs prints taken. The staff were friendly and polite so I was pleased with the process.

The Pink ID Card has already got me into a National Park for the local price where as my friends had to pay the foreigner's price even-though they had work permits. Not sure this will always work, but it's a good start.

Anyway, so in summary,  as a foreigner, you can get your name in your own Yellow Tabien Baan Book' and a Thai Residency ID (Pink Card). It really was difficult to do so.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2020 at 2:56 PM, steve187 said:

blue book are for Thais, to show who is the owner and  what Thais are living there, you can get a yellow book with plenty of hoops jumped

The first person listed in the Tabien Baan Book (Household registration book - the dark blue book) is 'the house master' - the person responsible to ensure the book shows all people who are registered as having that address as their primary address and up to date.

The house master is not necessarily the owner.

Foreigners who hold Permanent Residency for Thailand (a Thai Certificate of Residence) are recorded in the same book.

Foreigners who have obtained a letter showing their place of residence from Thai immigration etc., to get a drivers license or similar are not Thai Permanent Residents.

• Like 1