Upgrading a bike from CBR500R

ivenius

Hi, I bought a CBR500R a few months ago for 80k baht, and made over 10k km on it already. It's a good bike, but I keep hitting the rev limiter a lot (red line is at 8,500) , it's 2012 so pretty old, and has already done around 35,xxx milleage total (well, supposedly). It would be nice to upgrade into something a bit newer and more powerful. I think I would do it just out of curiosity to be honest, as I'm not sure if more power would be useful on Thai roads - and I've never driven anything more powerful than 500cc before.

Can you recommend me some bike, in 120k - 200k baht range, which could be a good upgrade and is easily available in Thailand? 

I've been thinking only about CBR650F (R is too expensive and rare apparently, at least on facebook). Are there better options? I'm also pretty short, 169cm, so higher bikes could be difficult to ride.

Thanks!

888828557_DSC_0349copy.thumb.jpg.ae2d6921d43deef189ad3db1c5d6b91c.jpg

What do you want to do? Where do you want to ride? What's your riding style?

I.e. I had a VFR with the red line at 14,500 RPM, 100km/h in the first gear. I loved that bike. But basically you had to rev it all the time. Riding under 6,000 RPM wasn't much fun.

Then there are other bike which are comfortable to ride at 4,000 RPM of even less. 

What style do you like?

Another option for you Yamaha MT-07...

I'm actually looking to maybe get a 500cc bike next year (old and cheap like yours), how come you hit the rev limiter so much, is that on 5 or 6th gear or lower 2 or 3...!? 

At high gears at 8500 or so rpm you will be doing like 160-170kph ..., no...!? ????

• Like 1

@Agusts Yeah, haha, it's really only on the 1st or 2nd gear, when I'm accelerating and don't shift up quick enough before it hits the read line. Maybe I'm just not the best rider, I don't know ????

@OneMoreFarang Good question, I use it for commuting to work daily in Bangkok, sometimes for a weekend trip to Pattaya, Koh Samet, etc, and a few times for long trips to places like Chiang Mai, Phuket, etc. I like how the cbr500r revs actually, it has a nice torque in the low range, I think I don't want a very sporty bike that has the power starting from 6k rpm etc.

• Like 1

The CBR650R replaced the CBR650F two years ago or so, which explains why it costs more on the second hand market, it can't be more than two years old.

If you want to stick with the same type of bike your options are the Honda CBR650F or the Kawasaki Ninja 650.

In case you also consider other styles, you should tell us which styles you like then people can recommend alternatives.

10 hours ago, ivenius said:

@Agusts Yeah, haha, it's really only on the 1st or 2nd gear, when I'm accelerating and don't shift up quick enough before it hits the read line. Maybe I'm just not the best rider, I don't know ????

@OneMoreFarang Good question, I use it for commuting to work daily in Bangkok, sometimes for a weekend trip to Pattaya, Koh Samet, etc, and a few times for long trips to places like Chiang Mai, Phuket, etc. I like how the cbr500r revs actually, it has a nice torque in the low range, I think I don't want a very sporty bike that has the power starting from 6k rpm etc.

If you're hitting the red line through not changing early enough, you'd find a more powerful bike even more red liney - you could do it in 3rd and 4th as well.... It sounds like you're happy with the 500 so stick with it. You may find it a bit of a problem with anything much bigger as the seat heights tend to be higher unless you go for a geriatric style bike. The older Ninja 650s seat is a tad high, the newer models a bit lower. You don't want to be on one leg tippy toes - its not good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, eisfeld said:

CB650F is a good choice. Or the newer CB650R if you can find a good deal but the older model apart from styling isn't that much different and probably a good chunk cheaper.

I have had my cbr650f since new in 2014. Yes it is a good bike but a lot heavier than the cbr500r.So it depends on your roads. Look around for one with low km. or hire 1 for a day and see if it is right for you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

Sorry to get all technical but a CBR500R produces max hp at 8500 rpm so the rev limiter must be set a bit higher. There is something wrong with the OP's bike.

The red line is at 8500...that's what the OP states, he didn't say he hits the limiter at 8500

CBR500R.jpg

2 hours ago, mrfill said:

If you're hitting the red line through not changing early enough, you'd find a more powerful bike even more red liney

More powerful bikes usually have a quite long first gear ratio, because you don't need all the power when starting from a standstill. Those bikes (ones which are more powerful than the CBR500R) usually do 100km/h+ in first gear before hitting the rev limiter.

Here a video i found for the CBR650F:

18 hours ago, ivenius said:

Can you recommend me some bike, in 120k - 200k baht range, which could be a good upgrade and is easily available in Thailand? 

Honda / Kawasaki = biggest choice.

Yamaha MT/FZ-09 would be a big step up in power. Quite a lot around and not expensive - because some parts are hard to find, as is servicing etc. The original model (MT-09) had fantastic triple crossplane engine. Everything else budget though. The later models (FZ-09) included ABS, traction control, quick shift. That said I still have my MT-09 bought new in 2014 and love it.

Note that with any secondhand bike, you may have problems renewing annual road tax if it has been modified and bike is more than 5 years old ie at point where it needs an MOT to renew road tax. The usual culprit is the exhaust (stock swapped for an aftermarket pipe) but things like a tail tidy can also be a no-no (the original MT-09 had a pug ugly tail which extended the number plate out past the rear tire and acted as a mudguard; most people dumped that).

MT/FZ is also prone to being crashed because it's a powerful bike that was quite cheap (for Thailand) and hence popular with folk who hadn't much experience.

Lots of MT-09 here: https://www.kaidee.com/product-128679036

• Like 1

650F is a great choice for an upgrade from the 500. The 650f has a more upright riding position as oppose to the 650 R where you are more in the tuck position. Upright much more comfortable for longer rides. 2018 last year for the F but many around. Still very desired bike.

Edited by bruin

On 12/15/2020 at 4:07 PM, ivenius said:

but I keep hitting the rev limiter a lot (red line is at 8,500)

Apparently at 9000 rpm which is only 500 rpm above max power.

the cbr500r seemed to had a little bit more gas in it.

how ever i managed to talked the info out of the salesman and he told me hondas cbr500 series bikes are programmed to shut off engine response at 9000 rpm!! .

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/629182-2013-honda-cbr500-are-restricted-at-9k-rpm/

The 500 has a higher rev limit @9300 for the lower five gears, and a slightly lower (two stage between 8900 and 9100) for the final gear. 

https://www.cbr500riders.com/search/17400/?q=Rev+limit&t=post&c[child_nodes]=1&c[nodes][0]=10&o=relevance

Edited by VocalNeal

1 hour ago, In the jungle said:

There is a nice looking Triumph Street Triple 675 on Baht and Sold right now with an asking price of 210K.

Nice. 

A few years ago there one doing stunt practice for the Burapa Bike show at the indoor stadium car park

It sounded awesome.