New 120km/h speed limit will not apply in Phuket

webfact

At this stage, only one road in the country is eligible for this new regulation

Well what's the bloody point of the law then?

But knowing now that speed cameras on Phuket's roads are calibrated to clock you at 100kph or more is good to know.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, huuwi said:

wow, that takes a load of my shoulders. speed limit is "about" 60 and the signs are advisory and the speed cameras are set for 100 qlicks and above. thank you.

3 weeks ago drove to Phuket down the Central festival/Tesco highway or wide road or whatever it's called, the speed limit sign indicated 90 and was driving around 80 something and got a ticket (500 baht) for driving over the speed limit set at 60 km/h, they send me photo (took them 2 weeks) from their camera indicating me driving at 82 another photo 83 Km/h (yes 2 different photos from front of the car), went to KhrungThai bank to pay

Happy Xmas and the  Thais are more happy because many more will be going to heaven soon When they brought this speed limit out the Thais will be doing 120klm through built up areas. They do over  100Klm in 80klm speed zones now and not a coper in sight When i walk i will shut my eyes and pretend its a dream when those cars come flying past Oh better not because they probably run me over coming down the wrong side of the road :sorry:

There are some scary roads around there.  Never thought I'd ever write this, but I think they made a good decision.

The only other good thing I've ever seen is how they levy price on fuel for stability.  Approx same price today as it was when I got here nearly 15 years ago.

If they want a new law they should use their cameras to make sure riders and drivers look for oncoming traffic at junctions.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Happyman567 said:

Happy Xmas and the  Thais are more happy because many more will be going to heaven soon When they brought this speed limit out the Thais will be doing 120klm through built up areas. They do over  100Klm in 80klm speed zones now and not a coper in sight When i walk i will shut my eyes and pretend its a dream when those cars come flying past Oh better not because they probably run me over coming down the wrong side of the road :sorry:

Actually thats a good point, does that speed limit apply if you drive on the wrong side of the road?  Just asking in case lol.

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

This is a great idea. As one can see, when out on the highways, people are going to drive whatever speed they want anyway. This just reduces the number of those ridiculous mailed tickets, that I keep throwing into the trash bin. A four land divided highway is plenty safe at 120kph, under good conditions.

Now, if we could only do something about the old trucks hogging the fast lane!

Yes on the Highway to hell.

Up the speed limit 120 stupid way of culling the population. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Mavideol said:

3 weeks ago drove to Phuket down the Central festival/Tesco highway or wide road or whatever it's called, the speed limit sign indicated 90 and was driving around 80 something and got a ticket (500 baht) for driving over the speed limit set at 60 km/h, they send me photo (took them 2 weeks) from their camera indicating me driving at 82 another photo 83 Km/h (yes 2 different photos from front of the car), went to KhrungThai bank to pay

been there, done that, but i saw them (of course to late) with speed guns just when you come to mai kao area from the bridge. well there will be another day.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, huuwi said:

been there, done that, but i saw them (of course to late) with speed guns just when you come to mai kao area from the bridge. well there will be another day.

I feel much better now, thought I was the only one 555.... I do think they should replace the 90 sign with a 60 sign....just saying  555

Edited by Mavideol

3 hours ago, Techno Viking said:

if only they would police the trucks not staying in the far left lane on the motorways.

I think there' must be a law stating that pickup trucks covering their load with a blue and white striped plastic tarpaulin can drive in the right hand lane at all times! ????

who in Thailand is following traffic rules ??

just nobody !!!

red lights ignored,one way ignored,

speed limit not existing,

because you pay 500 baht instead of

5000 baht !!!

In phuket as a traffic police officer I could cash in 1million baht a day in fines.

Time to increase the fines drastically

I don't give a dam about speeding tickets, why should I when the posty don't give a dam about delivering a dam thing since 2019. If one day they enforce paying them on renewing car tax and there is a late payment fee it would be the post office's fault.