These Are The Greatest Guitarists Of All Time

ChipButty

2 hours ago, ChipButty said:

B.B. King was a guitarist, singer, songwriter, and record producer. He is best known for introducing the sophisticated style of soloing that is based on fluid string bending as well as vibrato and staccato picking. His style influenced many blues guitarists after him. He was known for tirelessly performing throughout his career. “The King of Blues” was inducted in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1987.

B.B.-King-20201118155639-20201118155639.jpg

Yes known as the king of blues but was he really that good?

BB king was more then once intimidated by Gary.

• Like 2

Not sure he's on this list, but this is a great rendition of Koyunbaba (some consider the piece dull, but it can be mesmerizing). The most famous part of the piece begins at about 9:10

And here's a lovely piece by Andrew York, who also composed Evening Dance:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

I'm surprised that nobody mentioned Frank Zappa. 

(6) Frank Zappa - Guitar Solo - YouTube

Zappa was such a prolific writer and musician that I had never listened to this before. Personally one of my favourites is ‘Watermelon in Easter Hay’ from Joe’s Garage. Dweezil now performs this and if you have time have a listen here….best at 11 on the volume.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3cu8sDa90Y

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ChipButty said:

It's about Great Guitarist or who you think is good, many amazing guys and gurls out there that we haven't heard of

Took a while but got this far down.  Then I remembered a street guitarist . Took a while again to find him.

Estas Tonne ' Song of the golden dragon '.  Go take a look , brings a tear to my eyes , so beautifull. Let me know your thoughts Chip.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sirineou said:

I looked at some the posts , and it seems like the "greatest guitarists" are for the most part European or American , is it because Europeans and Americans are better guitarists than other people or are these the greatest guitarists we know of that play the music we like?

As mentioned, mainly European/American. I guess because that’s most of the posters on here.

So I would like to suggest a guitar player that I don’t even have a name for. I go to a bar 3rd on the left up Soi Cowboy and every request I throw at this band they come up with the goods. The guitarist is spectacular and as a guitarist myself I have to say he’s spot on musically in terms of melody, harmony, tone and timing, but he introduces some fine personal embellishments too.

I think about the times I’ve paid over £100 for tickets to watch the headliners from 200 yards away and I catch a beer here for 100 baht and a front seat view.

Screenshot 2020-12-19 at 12.48.21.png

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ChipButty said:

These Are The Greatest Guitarists Of All Time.

Feel free to add your favourite Im sure there is many,

I'll start with one of the all time greats,

Eric Clapton

Eric Clapton is a rock and blues guitarist who is the only person who has been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame three times: as a solo artist, as a member of the Yardbirds, and as a member of Cream. He has won 18 Grammy Awards and a CBE at Buckingham Palace for services to music. Just in his solo career, he has sold over 100 million records.

Eric-Clapton-20201118161953-20201118161953.jpg

5 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Eric Clapton

Eric Clapton is a rock and blues guitarist who is the only person who has been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame three times: as a solo artist, as a member of the Yardbirds, and as a member of Cream. He has won 18 Grammy Awards and a CBE at Buckingham Palace for services to music. Just in his solo career, he has sold over 100 million records.

Yes, I'm not a rock fan, but he is definitely a top guitarist.

5 hours ago, CharlieH said:

"James Marshall "Jimi" Hendrix was an American musician, singer, and songwriter. Although his mainstream career spanned only four years, he is widely regarded as one of the most influential electric guitarists in the history of popular music, and one of the most celebrated musicians of the 20th century."

I have to say that I would have loved to have handed him a guitar and see how it would sound without the foot pedals and other gadgets.

6 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Eric Clapton

I once read where Eric Clapton was asked how it felt to be the best guitarist in the world. He said, "I don't know, maybe you should ask Prince."

• Like 2