Why CP group got the nod for takeover of Tesco

12 minutes ago, jadee said:

Hope they drop 'Tesco' from the name as every time I try to say it to a Thai person they don't understand what I'm trying to say. I just try to say "Lotus" with my best Thai pronunciation "Rlow-dadt" 

not sure what Rlow-dadt sounds like but I speak Thai and so there is context, but I find that everyone understands "Lotus" pretty much as in English, maybe drawn out a bit... 

3 hours ago, phetphet said:

Looks like all the old Tesco items are being sold off cheap as their sell by date passes. Don't see much replacement of imported foreign goods. Hardly worth visiting now, except for veg.

Only Tops and Big C for those bits and pieces that I miss from back home. Less choice, less competition.

Lotus will take a hit from no tourists shopping.

Cp dont care, they are waiting for the vaccines for covid to kick in then they will move to selling more Chinese specials.

Cp has big friends specially the enlightened one.

• Like 2

A bad decision from a customers perspective. Already prices have increased and some brands of items are no longer being stocked. Macro was always cheaper than Tesco anyway, so will be shopping even less at Tesco now and moreso at Macro. Unfortunately no Big C here.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

A bad decision from a customers perspective. Already prices have increased and some brands of items are no longer being stocked. Macro was always cheaper than Tesco anyway, so will be shopping even less at Tesco now and moreso at Macro. Unfortunately no Big C here.

Makro is also owned by CP

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

Makro is owned by CP lots of CP branded items in there

As CP used to own Lotus before the had to sell it to TESCO during

the financial bubble burst of 1997 , they are only taking back control

of what they used to own, now they control food products from 

manufacturer, wholesale and retail they have it all covered.

regards worgeordie

Just need to look at the price of a carton of Meiji milk around 91 baht in every outlet from 7/11, Big C, Tesco, Tops, Central etc etc to realise there is no price competition here, no discounters. You are subject to whatever they feel the market will bear, no shopping around necessary or possible. That is why Aldi, Lidl etc avoid the place, no chance of a level playing field.

• Like 1

Why? Are you serious?

"When China opened up its economy in 1978, the CP Group was the first foreign investor in the country and became the first foreign company registered in the special economic zone of Shenzhen, Guangdong. The company is the single largest investor in Mainland China today".

The controlling family is "one of the richest ethnic Chinese families in the world" as well, of course, as being one of the inner circle in Thailand that we dare not discuss here.

You think any of them give a rat's about whether we can buy French cheese?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, rooster59 said:

According to the report, the majority of the commissioners who voted for the acquisition argued that the acquisition was necessary for business operation and would help create revenue for the country’s

The authors of this article forgot a few words, so I decided to help them out:

"...Argued that the acquisition was necessary for" the country's elite to stay at the top and for the everyday Thai to remain poor, while thinking that making 35kbht is a lot..."And would help create revenue for the country's elite", but do little to help the country as a whole of the majority of Thai people. Innovation will be stifled and other country's in the region will gain the upper hand for the region. Vietnam is the first country to come to mind.

4 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

Just need to look at the price of a carton of Meiji milk around 91 baht in every outlet from 7/11, Big C, Tesco, Tops, Central etc etc to realise there is no price competition here, no discounters.

4 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

That is why Aldi, Lidl etc avoid the place, no chance of a level playing field.

Don't you contradict yourself there?

If prices were really set that high because there is no competition, Aldi and Lidl with their lower prices would have a field day here, every day.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

Macro was always cheaper than Tesco anyway, so will be shopping even less at Tesco now and moreso at Macro.

Makro is cheaper because they are a cash and carry, you can't buy 1 bottle of coke or 1 tin of beans there, hence they are cheaper.

But good to hear that you are well informed, because Makro and Tesco-lotus, are owned by the same company

12 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

Just need to look at the price of a carton of Meiji milk around 91 baht in every outlet from 7/11, Big C, Tesco, Tops, Central etc etc to realise there is no price competition here, no discounters. You are subject to whatever they feel the market will bear, no shopping around necessary or possible. That is why Aldi, Lidl etc avoid the place, no chance of a level playing field.

Love Love Love Aldi and Lidl!!!!!! ❤️   Lidl even a bit more if I had to choose..