Woman in Ayutthaya positive for Covid-19 on return from Chiang Mai

Jonathan Fairfield

Woman in Ayutthaya positive for Covid-19 on return from Chiang Mai

800_518ae80d966077a.jpg?v=1608474513

A woman, 29, who returned from Chiang Mai has tested positive for Covid-19, Dr Peera Areerat, Ayutthaya provincial public health officer, revealed on Sunday.

Bang Pa-in Hospital found the woman infected with the coronavirus virus, although she had no symptoms. She had returned from work at a beauty salon in Chiang Mai province on December 16. The patient travelled in a double-decker bus, sitting on the lower deck. In addition, three people were travelling together, with the female patient wearing a mask all the time.

On December 17, the bus arrived at Ayutthaya at 5am. The woman got off at the Bang Pa-in intersection, Asian road, then took a motorcycle ride back to her house in Bang Pa-in district.

The following morning, at 10.30am, the woman sat on the back of a pickup truck and went to Bang Pa-in Hospital to test for Covid-19.

On December 19, at 8am she went for a walk to the Si Thong Village Market. The same day, the hospital report showed her positive for Covid-19 but without symptoms. She was admitted immediately to the hospital.

Dr Peera urged people who had been to locations the patient had visited to quickly test themselves for the virus. The doctor also urged the public to follow hygiene practices and social distancing.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30399906?utm_source=category&utm_medium=internal_referral

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-12-20

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

there goes chiang mai high season

For the extended holidays from 10 to 13 December, Chiangmai was totally quiet without Local Tourists due to the return of the Hooker from Tachileik, Myanmar. 

Like you say, there goes Chiangmai high season. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Dr Peera urged people who had been to locations the patient had visited to quickly test themselves for the virus. The doctor also urged the public to follow hygiene practices and social distancing.

What happened to Thai Chana? Nobody enforcing it and nobody using it? Start fining people for not scanning that barcode, or all of this contact tracing is useless

• Like 2

I expect the Prathumthani-Ayuttaya area to have some issues because there are tens of thousands of Burmese in this area plus loads of over-crowded areas. The big Talat Thai fresh fruit market is loaded with pickups going back and forth to the countryside provinces daily and many of the workers there are migrants. Just a matter of time before the virus is all over the nation.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

54 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

there goes chiang mai high season

I just went to Central Festival in Chiang Mai, there's so many people there for the Christmas holidays.

If news get out, it might be a ghost town soon.

Edited by EricTh

24 minutes ago, LoliLoso said:

For the extended holidays from 10 to 13 December, Chiangmai was totally quiet without Local Tourists due to the return of the Hooker from Tachileik, Myanmar. 

Like you say, there goes Chiangmai high season. 

I canceled my trip for last week and rescheduled for the end of January.  Out now for my Birthday dinner and the staff here at the 5 star restaurant are talking about the Bangkok cases and seem worried of imminent closures.

4 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

What happened to Thai Chana? Nobody enforcing it and nobody using it? Start fining people for not scanning that barcode, or all of this contact tracing is useless

I'm in Chiangmai and have been trying to use the Thai Chana App where I can … but loads of venues do not have the App QR Code unfortunately.

5 minutes ago, csmith said:

I'm in Chiangmai and have been trying to use the Thai Chana App where I can … but loads of venues do not have the App QR Code unfortunately.

:shock1:

Be wary of scanning QR codes; your phone may catch a virus if you unsuspectingly download content that leads you to a malicious site.

Read this:

https://www.l-tron.com/qr-code-virus-fact-or-fiction/#:~:text=While QR codes are no,you to malicious internet content.

6 hours ago, Swimfan said:

Why would she go to the hospital if she was well and had no symptoms? I thought their policy was to only test symptomatic patients???

something fishy here 

Not only was she checked for Covid and not showing any symptoms, but she tested positive after just one day of exposure on the bus where she wore a mask at all times.

How long was she in Chiang Mai prior to going home to Ayutthaya. Who did she visit while she was in Chiang Mai?

Something VERY fishy here.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, csmith said:

Here in Ayutthaya the Chana App/ written check ins and temperature checks have been very much relaxed, use of masks also markedly down .

Last couple of days they have been trying to reinforce the requirements for entry to malls and markets with staff urging people to check in, all due to the Chiang Mai outbreak.

Now with news of a local case, I expect things to step up a notch, I for one welcome the rapid response shown by the Thais to this threat.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rwill said:

My niece in Nonthaburi said it is getting hard to find facemasks there again.  Might want to stock up now if you need some.

At a mall in Ayutthaya yesterday the “ mask “ stall was doing a roaring trade !!

Along with the designer masks and those plastic chains that seem all the rage 3 ladies were selling the disposable, now in a range of colours, masks for 60 baht for a pack of 50 !!

They didn’t have time to make up the paper box that they go in , just put them in the bags with the masks.

A long way from the 500 baht for 50 I paid at a local pharmacy when they were scarce about 6 months ago !!

The woman takes the test for covid-19 and next morning goes to a market without knowing the test results which showed later in the day that she is infectious. What kind of mentality is that?

Is the government going to do contact tracing of everyone at the market present during her visit? How would the government even know who may have had contact? 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Guderian said:

Some of us did say that the long holiday weekend was a daft idea given the local cases they already knew about, including my Thai builder who was disgusted by the government's lack of caution. And now we will all pay the price with another national lockdown, while the tourism industry can possibly look forward to a resumption of domestic travel by Songkran, but forget about foreign tourists for most if not all of 2021.

Will all the Xmas pub/restaurant functions be allowed or not.

Just askin'.

I believe this is the woman that started her journey from Mae Ai. Mae Ai yesterday reported a positive case and some of the local markets and schools have been closed. Mae Ai residents have also been asked not to travel outside their immediate area. Will be interesting to see how many of them observe that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TigerandDog said:

I believe this is the woman that started her journey from Mae Ai. Mae Ai yesterday reported a positive case and some of the local markets and schools have been closed. Mae Ai residents have also been asked not to travel outside their immediate area. Will be interesting to see how many of them observe that.

Just been advised that several people in our soi were on the same bus as this woman. They have been quarantined, but will be interesting to see what trace testing is done as the woman was at our community centre yesterday to vote in the elections and her daughter was sent home from school today. So far no sign of anyone turning up to test the school kids the daughter was in contact with or testing this village, especially those who worked at the polling station and the people they have since been in contact with.