TM 28 latest

I'm looking to move condos and have a couple of options....

I moved 3 years ago and the rigmarole of TM28 / TM30 papers was a nightmare, so i wanted to get the latest info / requirements ....

Previously - i completed a TM28 and took it to the imm office (Jomtien) and was told i needed a TM30 as well - the agent contacted the (Thai) landlord, who did nothing......

finally after months off faffing, the agent filled the forms out....

TBH i don't want to go through that fiasco again.....

The options i have - 1) rent from private (ferrang) landlord   2) rent condo from condo hotel (who i assume have to report my residence, relieving me of having to )

any help would be greatly apreciated.....

TM28 has been scrapped

The landlord or possessor (that's you if you have the rental contract in your name) has to submit a TM30 for you. Make sure you get copies of the house book and landlord's id card, then you can do the TM30 report yourself.

5 minutes ago, jackdd said:

TM28 has been scrapped

The landlord or possessor (that's you if you have the rental contract in your name) has to submit a TM30 for you. Make sure you get copies of the house book and landlord's id card, then you can do the TM30 report yourself.

if i go condo hotel route - how would i know they had done that ? - when i viewed their condo, very little english spoken and i got the impression they wouldn't be reporting anything !

if i fill out a TM 30 with a receipt from " abc condo hotel"  and rock up immigration - will that suffice ?

8 minutes ago, piston broke said:

if i go condo hotel route - how would i know they had done that ? - when i viewed their condo, very little english spoken and i got the impression they wouldn't be reporting anything !

You should get the receipt from them, because immigration will ask you for it. If they don't do it you won't get the receipt from them.

But hotels in tourist areas usually do the TM30.

8 minutes ago, piston broke said:

if i fill out a TM 30 with a receipt from " abc condo hotel"  and rock up immigration - will that suffice ?

Depends on the immigration office, and the officer who you talk to, but usually they would not accept this.

Jomtien immigration has a list of required documents for TM30 in both Thai and English. Get that list and give it to the condo hotel office, to check with them if they are willing to comply - before you move in.

Same with an individual condo owner. Show them the list, ensure that they are willing to comply and get the required documents when moving in. If they cannot or won't provide the documents, don't sign and don't hand over any money. Their choice.

OP, its pretty straight forward, either the hotel does the TM30, your landlord/agent does it, or you do it.

Hotel, if they take your passport for check-in its done, TM30 is in the system and immigration can see it etc, the worst instance you may have to tell immigration the hotel name show a receipt etc.

Landlord, check before you sign a lease that they will do TM30 (or at least provide copy bluebook ID etc), otherwise dont stay there.

As possessor of a property, you can do the TM30, show lease document etc is usually all that is required, otherwise they may want to see copy blue book etc.

I think you may be confusing things by referring to a condo hotel, there is no such thing, its either a hotel (operating as one) or its not.If you are staying somewhere just showing your passport and no lease, thats a hotel.  If you are signing a lease to stay somewhere thats a landlord not a hotel

just received a message from an "agent" - Just need copy of rental agreement and 500 smaker roonies and they sort it - i then collect the passport the following day, with the TM  30 receipt inside .....

tough call as i was looking forward to doing it myself and sitting round like a spare part for 3-4 hours (like i did before), only to be sent away cos they'd come up with something else that they wanted.......

Then  to come back, sit around for another 3-4 hours, only to be sent away, cos they'd come up with something else...

mmmmmm  ....

2 minutes ago, Salerno said:

You might want to tell this long established fine establishment that they need to change their name https://www.whitehousecondotel.com/

Thats just semantics, its a hotel.

People use the name, leading to a level of confusion, people think condo blocks can operate as hotels etc.

A property is still one or the other, not both

52 minutes ago, Salerno said:

In which case why do people own their own condos in that building? There was a very nice one up for sale last year.

Yes that may be the case but its still operating as a hotel, a hotel business, a hotel license etc, a hotel where the individual rooms are privately owned,  so far as the person staying there and immigration is concerned its a hotel. If you go and stay there you are not leasing a room from the individual owner. You are giving your passport and checking in to ACME hotel, not renting from the landlord or condo office. Otherwise its illegal, only hotels can do short term rental.

I imagine there is some sort of agreement between the individual owners and the actual hotel business  and an agreement between the condo block and the hotel business, renting out common property etc.

In terms of a TM30 its either a hotel stay or a private rental, the term condotel leads people to believe they are doing both. The hotel business is a separate entity to the condo block, condo blocks cant and dont rent rooms out

6 hours ago, jackdd said:

TM28 has been scrapped

He may need to submit a completed TM27, though, if the following link is to be believed:-

https://pattayaone.news/tm28-thai-immigration-scraps-requirement-for-foreigners-to-report-when-they-stay-away-from-home-for-24-hours/

"However, foreigners need to be aware that they are still required to inform immigration if they change address permanently. [This is covered in form TM27]."

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

He may need to submit a completed TM27, though, if the following link is to be believed:-

https://pattayaone.news/tm28-thai-immigration-scraps-requirement-for-foreigners-to-report-when-they-stay-away-from-home-for-24-hours/

"However, foreigners need to be aware that they are still required to inform immigration if they change address permanently. [This is covered in form TM27]."

I've never heard of any person who was asked for a TM27, so imho immigration is not trying to enforce this and it can just be ignored.

Piston: it is a Fiasco!  

I have checked in and renewed at over 3 immigration offices in the last 6 years. There is no rhyme or reason.... they act autonomously from each other. 

They themselves have no or little idea about what is or is not required. 

For example: your TMxx, some offices will allow you to fill out via a hotel your staying at for over 48 hours, others will allow your residents card and yellow book from one or more of the properties you rent.

Its a lack of continuity and depending how you dress, or demand to speak to the station chief will bring you the results you seek.

I myself noticed a check in on a Saturday, (when the offices are closed) and an expiration of long term visa on a Sunday.... who or why they do this is anyone's guess. 

Some offices can't understand a proof of income, even though you have a government pension or corporate pension and are showing them your 1099 tax return for the previous year. 

Its too much politics. Too much under the table schemes and scams.

Good luck to you, and all the other expats, business owners,  retirees and veterans. 

Merry Christmas to all. 

Much correct information in this thread, but without some background info on the purpose of a TM-30 and when by who it needs to be issued, it becomes a bit muddy (hence the many posts in this thread).

To summarize:

1 - The TM-28 form has been scrapped, and will not be requested by any IO

2 - When RELOCATING the IO of the province where you take up your new residence has to be notified in person by visiting the IO.  This normally has to be done within 24 hours of arrival, but I never heard of any IO that enforced that 24-hour rule.

3 - The form to be used for relocating is either the TM-27 or the TM-30, depending on the IO to which your report.  The large majority of IOs now use the TM-30 for that relocation purpose.

4 - I PM-ed you a Guideline document with information on TM-30, including how you can register on the IO TM-30 database, when you (or your girlfriend/wife) are the owner of the place you are living.

If you are renting or living in a long-stay hotel-room, the Hotel or landlord is expected to file a TM-30 of you staying there.  But in case of RELOCATION you have to do it in person at your local IO bringing the documents needed (house-book, signed ID-card of owner of properties, rental agreement when applicable).  As this is Thailand and every IO interprets, makes up and applies the rules as they see fit, your IO might come up with additional document requirements or even insist on you being accompanied by the owner of the property.

>> To access your PM-messages just click the letter-icon next to your profile when logged in to the Forum.

On 12/21/2020 at 8:37 AM, Peterw42 said:

OP, its pretty straight forward, either the hotel does the TM30, your landlord/agent does it, or you do it.

Hotel, if they take your passport for check-in its done, TM30 is in the system and immigration can see it etc, the worst instance you may have to tell immigration the hotel name show a receipt etc.

Landlord, check before you sign a lease that they will do TM30 (or at least provide copy bluebook ID etc), otherwise dont stay there.

As possessor of a property, you can do the TM30, show lease document etc is usually all that is required, otherwise they may want to see copy blue book etc.

I think you may be confusing things by referring to a condo hotel, there is no such thing, its either a hotel (operating as one) or its not.If you are staying somewhere just showing your passport and no lease, thats a hotel.  If you are signing a lease to stay somewhere thats a landlord not a hotel

The plot thickens ! - I moved in today.....

The lady on reception tells me that they book all customers in with immigration "on line" so not sure if that makes them a hotel or a condo hotel....

From what i understand, its a condo building of circa 500 units and they own circa 150 of them, which they rent daily / monthly etc......

So my question to the learned - do i still need to fill out a TM 30 and bung the agent 500 baht for processing ?

Or do i do nothing on the basis ive got the receipt for the room and they've told immigration where i'm living ......

in my passport, ive got the TM30 receipt for my previous address...and of course when i go for 90 day reporting - what would i do then ??

2 minutes ago, piston broke said:

So my question to the learned - do i still need to fill out a TM 30 and bung the agent 500 baht for processing ?

Or do i do nothing on the basis ive got the receipt for the room and they've told immigration where i'm living ......

>> Read the TM-30 Guideline I PM-ed you this morning.

1 hour ago, piston broke said:

The plot thickens ! - I moved in today.....

The lady on reception tells me that they book all customers in with immigration "on line" so not sure if that makes them a hotel or a condo hotel....

From what i understand, its a condo building of circa 500 units and they own circa 150 of them, which they rent daily / monthly etc......

in my passport, ive got the TM30 receipt for my previous address...and of course when i go for 90 day reporting - what would i do then ??

If they do it online then it will appear in the immigration computer system, nothing or you to do. There is no receipt to keep in your passport as immigration can see a TM30 has been done online. If you want something to keep in your passport ask them to do a screen shot and print it for you, but not really required.

All hotels and many expats use the same online system.

Archived