Armed gold shop robbery in Chonburi - lone gunman escapes with 800K in jewelry

webfact

Armed gold shop robbery in Chonburi - lone gunman escapes with 800K in jewelry

3pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Daily News reported that a lone gunman held up a well known gold shop in Tesco Lotus Plus Mall Amata Nakorn on Sukhumvit Road in Klong Tamri sub-district of Muang District Chonburi last night. 

CCTV showed a tall man with a shoulder bag had entered the Tamnak Thong 5 shop and was pretending to be interested in five baht weight, then ten baht weight gold jewelry that he hung round his neck. 

He then whipped out a handgun from his bag and ran off with 30 baht weight in jewelry that according to today's prices is worth about 828,000 baht.

3pm1.jpg

A witness said he had seen the man and thought he was about 180 cms tall. He paid no attention until he heard a commotion then thought to try and stop him. 

He was threatened with the gun and hit the deck as the robber ran off. 

Muang Chonburi police responded at 8.20 pm and are investigating.

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-12-23

i allways found it amazing how those gold shop display there merchandise so openly everywhere.

it is really like a cash money shops with lots of cash on display, with no real security, no alarm and no

armed guards on sight.

i found it as a nice expression of thailand non-violent colture.

it would never work in the west, not to mention south america or africa.

there a gold shop like that would be sprayed with bullets every two weeks,  gangsters and even corrupt policeman will kidnapp the owner relatives or will break into his residence until the owner will

give up.

hope those gold shop culture will survive this crisis.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mikebell said:

Not to worry, the most inept police in the land will solve it PDQ.

Just like they caught the gold store robber who killed 3 people in Lopburi earlier this year.

Or the one they caught in September who robbed the Bangkok store of 6 million.

Typical, just another naive uninformed bash.

• Thanks 1

Ballsy.

This gold shop is located up the escalator opposite Tesco lotus cashiers in Amata Nakhon. So a long escape route down either escalator, then at least another 100 meters through the ground floor to get out one of four exits, then out to the large car park, and then past the car park guards at either exit unless he jumped a fence.
There isn’t much around there, a soccer oval and some vacant land, a dirty klong/drain on one side and highway 3 on the other side, so quite a difficult, long escape. Surprised he chose that particular gold shop.

He should have worn a hat.

20 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Must have needed it to satisfy the 800K in the bank for his extension...lol, or he needed it for the SinSod.

You beat me to it. First thing I thought when I read the headline was an elderly farang needing the 800k for extension of stay. ????  But why oh why waste any amount on SinSod!

17 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Just like they caught the gold store robber who killed 3 people in Lopburi earlier this year.

Or the one they caught in September who robbed the Bangkok store of 6 million.

Typical, just another naive uninformed bash.

Please read carefully; I specifically referred to Chonburi police who head the league table for inaction - this Changwat is officially the most dangerous place to travel.  It is not an uninformed bash but a uniformed bash.

On 12/23/2020 at 9:30 AM, webfact said:

3pm1.jpg

A witness said he had seen the man and thought he was about 180 cms tall. He paid no attention until he heard a commotion then thought to try and stop him. 

He was threatened with the gun and hit the deck as the robber ran off. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-12-23

The witness' actions -  

"...thought to try and stop him."

are as stupid as it gets.

Edited by JimmyJ