Bangkok’s Ong Ang Canal closed to kayakers

snoop1130

Bangkok’s Ong Ang Canal closed to kayakers

By The Nation

800_9a15ec6e81189da.jpg

Kayaking down Bangkok’s Ong Ang Canal will not be allowed from Friday onwards in a bid to curb the spread of Covid-19.

Governor Aswin Kwanmuang said in a Facebook post that the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) has suspended the activity to prevent transmission of the virus through shared paddles, kayaks and life jackets.

“The aim is to ensure people’s safety under measures to contain the spread of Covid-19,” he said.

Kayaking down the Ong Ang Canal became popular after the BMA improved the scenery and began blocking the area to traffic from Friday to Sunday every week in a bid to promote tourism.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30400173

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-12-24

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Governor Aswin Kwanmuang said in a Facebook post that the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) has suspended the activity to prevent transmission of the virus through shared paddles, kayaks and life jackets.

But it is okay to use the same spoons , forks and chopsticks as other people in restaurants , where their idea of washing utensils is giving it a quick swirl in water that has washed numerous utensils before.

• Like 1

Is it more crowded than a bts ticket  box? An atm?  They can't wash paddles quickly?   

Must be a real reason? 

Is this an admission it may contain untreated sewage?  My state  has been using monitoring of the sewage lines to determine  relative strength of the virus in different areas. 

It seems like this could have been used to verify that really had zero cases. Maybe they are smart enough but kept this a secret?

https://deq.utah.gov/water-quality/sars-cov-2-sewage-monitoring

Edited by Elkski

Walked in the Ong An and Saphan Han area in the evening a few Saturdays ago. It's a fairly pleasant stroll along the canal with food vendors, shops and entertainment. I have to say I was surprised to see Kayaks for rent in the canal. The water looked reasonably OK but I wouldn't care to kayak there. The story here is totally preposturous regarding transmission of Covid-19. Are they for real in this or just trying to see how many ludicrous reasons they can come up with to stop certain activities? Or is there more to the story such as someone isn't paying the appropriate "fees" so gets shut down?

14 hours ago, madisongy said:

I'm really not familiar with the Ong Ang Canal.....is it different from all the other canals in Bangkok?   Because I can barely stand to walk over or past the canals that stink to high heaven.    Cannot fathom the thought of kayaking in them.   Phew!!

This one doesn’t smell. One of the few i think.