UK and EU reach Brexit trade deal

webfact

3 hours ago, Hi from France said:

Well most Brexiteers here have nothing to contribute beside cynical one-liners. But you can take part with sourced, non-tabloid, good news about Brexit. 

Have not seen any positive news for a while but here is one I just found, that you can submit for debate

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/jan/22/brexit-has-given-competitive-edge-on-car-battery-tariffs-says-nissan-chief

Err, yes, this was the news article that was posted a few hours ago and to which I was referring. 

28 minutes ago, BlueScouse said:

That article from the Guardian is nearly a year old.

This is one from yesterday.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/22/meps-vote-to-add-channel-and-british-virgin-islands-to-tax-haven-blacklist

Also in the article is this

While also arguing for the inclusion of EU territorie

indeed I would include the Netherlands, Ireland (Dutch Sandwich) and Malta, but it's much harder to just exclude an EU member (and France has some tax Haven as well like Monaco, Saint-Barthélemy).

Now being protected by their respective governments

indeed they are protected by or as EU members so we have to use a "soft approach"

Now it turns out Britain has no say anymore, so on the long road to tackle tax evasion UK overseas territories are now on the menu. ???? 

Cayman Islands are a huge tax haven: let's get that one now, along with Guernsey, Jersey and I hope, Gibraltar

but there is much more to do

Edited by Hi from France
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Hi from France said:

MEPs ask if Scotland, Wales can rejoin Erasmus student program

https://www.politico.eu/article/meps-push-to-welcome-scotland-and-wales-back-in-erasmus-mobility-scheme/

So while England is out Scotland and Wales could stay in? 

That must be a 1st the EU offering something for free as you know neither Scotland or Wales can pay the billions of Euros that the current shortfall of the Erasmus+ budget 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

My point is your guys seem to have no trouble finding all these obscure bits of negative news.

Well it's hardly obscure if 'we' have no trouble finding it!

In any event, I don't understand your point. Presumably, you were in favour of Brexit because you believed it was in the UK's best interests. I was against it because I believed the opposite. I would expect you to post articles supporting your view. Surely, you expect the same of me? The (perceived) negative effects of Brexit support my case. What's the problem?

But when there's positive news (which by the way is plastered all over the mainstream news sites), not a peep. 

(see above).

I'd disagree about the positive news being "plastered all over the MSN sites". I haven't seen much of it.

I wish all EU countries success.

Thank you for making that clear.

I don't wish the EU institution in it's current form success because I don't think it deserves it. 

Fair enough.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bannork said:

I wrote about the last of the summer wine imports a couple of days ago.

Now it's the turn of cheese exporters.

https://westcountrybylines.co.uk/quadruple-cheese-brexit-whammy/

Cheesemakers......another one the Brexiteers can add to their ever growing list of ....."I don't care abouts'

Who/what (other than themselves) do they care about?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Surelynot said:

Cheesemakers......another one the Brexiteers can add to their ever growing list of ....."I don't care abouts'

Who/what (other than themselves) do they care about?

Any news of the green olives on a stick embargos?

Well, perhaps you should look a bit harder and more indiscriminately,,

13 hours ago, RayC said:
13 hours ago, RayC said:

but I hope to be proved wrong.

- then we might believe this statement!

13 hours ago, RayC said:

I also hope that the EU member states are successful. Care to echo that sentiment yourself, and call on your fellow Brexiters to do the same?

I will echo your sentiments, but for the states - not the EU.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hi from France said:

Robert Palmer, the director of the Tax Justice UK campaign group, said: “Post-Brexit the UK tax havens have lost their protector within the corridors of Brussels. I’d expect to see the EU to ramp up pressure on places like Jersey to clean up their act. The UK itself has been warned that if the government tries a Singapore-on-Thames approach, with a bonfire of regulations and taxes, then the EU will act swiftly.”

Scared of a bit of genuine competition are they?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Since trade in goods are covered -- as long as the goods include enough content from EU/UK to be covered by the trade agreement (in this case adding battery manufacture in the UK or EU would suffice) then they can be imported duty free to the EU.    Basically the EU/UK trade agreement, where the manufacturers are of hard goods and can meet content requirements, are large enough that the additional red-tape import/export (i.e. Nissan is likely both the importer and exporter so they don't have to worry about the impact to customers in the EU) then there is going to be little change (and in some edge cases can be beneficial - or at least a standstill).  The losers though are the service industry and any vendor or manufacturer which is selling directly to customers from the UK.

On the plus side, importing Ice-cream from the US to UK is cheaper as duty has been reduced from 21% to 6%. ????

See! There are some positives...

1 hour ago, Tofer said:

Debate?? - You mean gloat....

What all these remainers don't realise, is that the Brexiteers didn't vote for, or expect, a trouble free transition. Of course there's going to be new arrangements, paperwork (although I don't see why in this digital age), disruptions, all were to be expected. Not helped by the ridiculous / petty attitude of the EU, still wanting to punish the UK, with threats of continued disruption if Boris continues along his path of creating a Singapore style state, or anything else that doesn't suit them.

I mean, look at the pathetic truckers sandwich confiscations, how utterly infantile. They're like a bunch of spoilt kids in a playground - if you don't play by my rules I'm taking my ball home....

A border has 2 sides ...and thus the taking control too......we told you soooo....! ????

Dont cry about those sandwiches ...just eat them before crossing .....

BTW  your beloved Australia can show you examples enough from food and others  not allowed to bring inside Australia....also many airlines restrict food in handluggage

Taking controle of OUR borders ...you can not blame us ... Boris border control  not ready ......he had the opportunity to extend you know ????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Tofer said:

I mean, look at the pathetic truckers sandwich confiscations, how utterly infantile. They're like a bunch of spoilt kids in a playground - if you don't play by my rules I'm taking my ball home....

It’s only now that you realize that this is how laws and “take control” work? Wow. You must have lived under a stone. Certainly you have never crossed any borders. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

I think you are deliberately misleading us, confusing the total budget of Erasmus and the membership fee.

In other words, prove your claim that the price of taking part in Erasmus for a small nation amounts to billions,

because that's what you just claimed

I you really can back that claim, just do it or withdraw your point

so please, do not just obfuscate 

So bold.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

another Brexiteer doing quite the same as Roger Daltrey : "I am a Brexiteer, but I wanted my cake and eating it"

image.png.1afe6f4766ef6e3ff306f8bdbdfe119f.png

.. so I'm letting the UK down.

"..... but you know I'm still a dedicated brexiter, one of yours" like Jim Ratcliffe, who moved to Monaco, James Dyson who moved his business to Singapore or Jacob Rees-Mogg's investment firm now established in Ireland

What do our Brexiteers here think about that? Do think this guy is on your side? Should he or should he not invest in Britain instead of France?

image.thumb.png.1775d9da4eec4d4e5c0d342524fd30eb.png

Edited by Hi from France
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, nauseus said:

So bold.

You accept that the EU doesn't have money in its own right and what they are very good at is spending their members money

Example 28 members for the 2014-2020 for the Erasmus+ paid 16,474 billion euros if divided equally among 28 members  comes to 

approx 588.4 billion euros per country

https://ec.europa.eu/programmes/erasmus-plus/programme-guide/part-a/what-is-the-budget_en

the proposed  Erasmus+ budget for 2021-2028 is 26.2 billion euros  if divided equally among 27 members  comes to

approx 970.4  billion euros per country

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/IP_20_2317

That is an extra 382 billion euros  for each of the 27 members

Now if it accepted that none of the remaining 27 members have increased their funding to support the EU spending spree

that means their is a shortfall of the 2021-2028 budget of 10,314 billion euros now it may be the case that France will pick up that tab as they use Erasmus+ the most

• Confused 1

34 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

another Brexiteer doing quite the same as Roger Daltrey : "I am a Brexiteer, but I wanted my cake and eating it"

image.png.1afe6f4766ef6e3ff306f8bdbdfe119f.png

.. so I'm letting the UK down.

"..... but you know I'm still a dedicated brexiter, one of yours" like Jim Ratcliffe, who moved to Monaco, James Dyson who moved his business to Singapore or Jacob Rees-Mogg's investment firm now established in Ireland

What do our Brexiteers here think about that? Do think this guy is on your side? Should he or should he not invest in Britain instead of France?

image.thumb.png.1775d9da4eec4d4e5c0d342524fd30eb.png

I think you have misquoted Roger Daltrey here what he said about the EU

When asked during an interview at Wembley Stadium in March 2019 whether the UK leaving the EU would be "bad for British rock music", Daltrey said: "No. What's it got to do with the rock business? How are you going to tour in Europe? Oh dear. As if we didn't tour Europe before the f***ing EU. Oh give it up!"

Clearly not impressed by the line of questioning, the sweary 76-year-old rocker added: "If you want to be signed up to be ruled by a f***ing mafia, you do it. Like being governed by FIFA."

https://news.sky.com/story/roger-daltrey-responds-to-backlash-over-post-brexit-music-touring-comments-12194421

And recently he stated

Roger Daltrey says he's not changed his opinion on the EU and is "glad to be free of Brussels", despite signing an open letter calling on the government to urgently establish visa-free travel for musicians.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2021 at 4:22 AM, IvorBiggun2 said:

Could you provide a link to that. I've Googled it and can't find it.

Same arrangement along the Canadian/US border. Works fine there as well.

Worked fine in the EU.....but now unlike in Tradedeals with US?Canada there are VAT bills to be paid as UK is no longer sharing a VAT system with EU.

BTW I've travelled from Canada to US by road and the customs immigration was horrendous. 

3 hours ago, vinny41 said:

You accept that the EU doesn't have money in its own right and what they are very good at is spending their members money

Example 28 members for the 2014-2020 for the Erasmus+ paid 16,474 billion euros if divided equally among 28 members  comes to 

approx 588.4 billion euros per country

https://ec.europa.eu/programmes/erasmus-plus/programme-guide/part-a/what-is-the-budget_en

the proposed  Erasmus+ budget for 2021-2028 is 26.2 billion euros  if divided equally among 27 members  comes to

approx 970.4  billion euros per country

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/IP_20_2317

That is an extra 382 billion euros  for each of the 27 members

Now if it accepted that none of the remaining 27 members have increased their funding to support the EU spending spree

that means their is a shortfall of the 2021-2028 budget of 10,314 billion euros now it may be the case that France will pick up that tab as they use Erasmus+ the most

I should worry more about Boris' profligacy right now!