UK and EU reach Brexit trade deal

webfact

15 hours ago, Hi from France said:

More on the fishing deal for scotland

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/dec/29/scotland-faces-cuts-to-cod-and-haddock-fisheries-under-brexit-deal

image.thumb.png.9b4f48a4c589cc3d36e74783f3179eff.png

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/dec/29/boris-is-a-kipper-fury-and-frustration-at-brexit-fishing-deal-in-brixham

meanwhile 

Brexit trade deal wins support of Conservative ERG MPs

Group of hardline Eurosceptic Tory MPs to vote in favour of deal after concluding it preserves UK sovereignty

the ERG cares more about sovereignty than about prosperity and fishing

Don,t know about boris being a kipper.one things for sure with his track record,the old rascals partial to a pair of hairy kippers.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Sujo said:

Strange response.

If machines were economically viable they would already be used. Im sure you are happy with increased prices because of this.

Why buy a machine?f the machine breaks down you have to pay to fix it if someone working on a self employed,zero hour contract go,es sick you tell them to naff off and take on some other desperate individual  down to the the joys of freedom of movement ,not any more though,what a victory for workers rights the uk procured when we left the eu.

• Like 1

So.... that are the negotiating  "tools" UVDL.was hinting at in her speach ...????

conserning the 2026 fish deal ending...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-gas-electricity-supply-uk-fish-stocks-b1780376.html

EU can shut off power supplies if UK tries to seize control of fish stocks, small print of deal reveals

Cables under Channel meet 8 per cent of demand - raising threat of higher prices and possible blackouts

Rob Merrick

Deputy Political Editor

The EU has secured the ability to shut off gas and electricity supplies if the UK tries to seize control of disputed fish stocks in future, experts are warning.

The sanction – which would hike prices and possibly trigger blackouts – makes a mockery of the prime minister’s claim to have “taken control” of British waters in his trade agreement, they say.

The little-noticed clause in the vast 1,255-page text allows Brussels to kick the UK out of its electricity and gas markets in June 2026, unless a fresh deal is agreed.

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, david555 said:

So.... that are the negotiating  "tools" UVDL.was hinting at in her speach ...????

conserning the 2026 fish deal ending...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-gas-electricity-supply-uk-fish-stocks-b1780376.html

EU can shut off power supplies if UK tries to seize control of fish stocks, small print of deal reveals

Cables under Channel meet 8 per cent of demand - raising threat of higher prices and possible blackouts

Rob Merrick

Deputy Political Editor

The EU has secured the ability to shut off gas and electricity supplies if the UK tries to seize control of disputed fish stocks in future, experts are warning.

The sanction – which would hike prices and possibly trigger blackouts – makes a mockery of the prime minister’s claim to have “taken control” of British waters in his trade agreement, they say.

The little-noticed clause in the vast 1,255-page text allows Brussels to kick the UK out of its electricity and gas markets in June 2026, unless a fresh deal is agreed.

Nonsense threat, will never happen.

1 hour ago, kingdong said:

Lets see... 

The U.K. leaving the E.U. isn't particularly a surprise for the E.U. members, it is known since June 2016.

So, I trust the problem has already been discussed somehow. 

I personally speculate that the wealthiest contributor members won't pay more (or not that much more), but the beneficiaries members receiving less. 

These beneficiaries members will have than to decide, if it is more wise to receive nothing(leaving the Union) or adapt to a lesser benefit (staying in the Union). 

Lets indeed see what will happen.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, stevenl said:

Nonsense threat, will never happen.

Could be ... but probably  because there would be no reason to use that tool ( not a treat..????) as U.K  would think twice .....????

2 hours ago, luckyluke said:

I personally speculate that the wealthiest contributor members won't pay more (or not that much more), but the beneficiaries members receiving less.

well you can personally speculate from the outside ????

Brexiteers never understood the EU is more than a transaction, and that the benefits are of another magnitude that just having an accountant vision of a membership fees versus subsidies. 

https://europa.eu/european-union/about-eu/what-the-eu-does-for-its-citizens_en

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

well you can personally speculate from the outside ????

Brexiteers never understood the EU is more than a transaction, and that the benefits are of another magnitude that just having an accountant vision of a membership fees versus subsidies. 

https://europa.eu/european-union/about-eu/what-the-eu-does-for-its-citizens_en

Fair enough, but as written :

"Since 1957, the European Union has benefited its citizens by working for peace and prosperity. It helps protect our basic political, social and economic rights.

Although we may take them for granted, these benefits improve our daily lives."

One only miss it, when it's gone.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, vogie said:

I really don't know how to make this more understandable Sandy, Scotland did not, repeat, did not have a vote it was the United Kingdom that voted for leaving. My next next door neighbour Ted voted to remain, should the rest of us left and let Ted remain. 

The SNP voted to leave the EU in 2014, because if the SNP had garnered enough votes to break up our UK union, had you won that vote, you would be the ones leaving the EU, you didn't care about the rest of the UK then did you.

Did the majority in Scotland vote to remain in the EU or not?

This persistent claim that Scotland voted as part of Westminster highlights the contempt that brexiteers have for Scotland as a nation. Obviously the "will of the people" means the will of the English

Scotland was a sovereign nation before entering into a union, does any nation have the right to reclaim sovereignty from a union?

It's a yes or no answer.

The result in 2014 was the right one at the time. I voted Conservative all my life but the actions of the tory government during the 2014 campaign revealed the self centred corruption.

Independence is a matter for the people of Scotland and as circumstances have changed quite radically they have every right to take that decision again. It is highly likely that the SNP will be the leading party for years to come and only the delusional would think that brexit has been "done".

Those that voted for brexit will see the consequences as the years go by.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, vogie said:

bravo Boris you have pulled the impossible off.

What impossible !?

The Brexit referendum was decided by Mr. Cameron.

The Leavers won democratically, as consequence the U.K. would leave the E.U..

The E.U. was informed, and acknowledged.

Brexit will took place, as expected.

Mr. Johnson happen just to be the P.M. when occurring.

There was never a doubt Brexit won't happen.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Did the majority in Scotland vote to remain in the EU or not?

This persistent claim that Scotland voted as part of Westminster highlights the contempt that brexiteers have for Scotland as a nation. Obviously the "will of the people" means the will of the English

Scotland was a sovereign nation before entering into a union, does any nation have the right to reclaim sovereignty from a union?

It's a yes or no answer.

The result in 2014 was the right one at the time. I voted Conservative all my life but the actions of the tory government during the 2014 campaign revealed the self centred corruption.

Independence is a matter for the people of Scotland and as circumstances have changed quite radically they have every right to take that decision again. It is highly likely that the SNP will be the leading party for years to come and only the delusional would think that brexit has been "done".

Those that voted for brexit will see the consequences as the years go by.

A breakdown of the votes cast in the isle of dogs showed the vast majority of its residents voted remain,watch them for the next bid for devoulution.

Edited by kingdong
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, luckyluke said:

Facts :

The U.K. was member of an Union,  after many years they decided to leave that Union, so they did.

Why and how, is pure intern U.K. matter.

If some Britons consider that as a victory, and others as a calamity, is also pure intern U.K. matter.

There is no way it is consider as a victory for the U.K., by the E.U., as the U.K. left in free will.

It will  however have a financial impact on the E.U.,  this will have to be resolved by the rest of the members, a pure intern E.U. matter.

Speculations :

In the future,

other member countries  may have the desire to leave, and they simply will.

Some non-member countries may have the desire to join the E.U., and if they fulfill the conditions, they will be accepted.

You keep chopping members posts up, yet you complain about emijons. I wish you would stop doing it...???? 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, vogie said:

You have omitted the most important fact to your analysis, it was a remainer parliament and as such it turned everything into a stalemate, Mrs May tried to unblock the logjam and failed, Boris was dealt the same hand but he played every card with precision and pulled off the "impossible"

Interesting approach / perception of a situation.

However :

A Brexit was decided democratically, and will happen as foresee. 

19 minutes ago, transam said:

You keep chopping members posts up, yet you complain about emijons. I wish you would stop doing it...???? 

Fair enough, I did it to avoid to post again a post just posted. 

I will quote as per now the entire post I refer to.

Edited by luckyluke

4 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Fair enough, I did it to avoid to post again a post just posted. 

I will quote as per now the entire post I refer too. 

Folk have to go back (well I do) and find the post to see what you are replying too....????

1 hour ago, vogie said:

Nigel Farage has been omitted from the honours list again

Excellent news; trump tweeted insults on a number of occasions regards UK. Anyone who's a trump sycophant, and as divisive as Farage, is not worthy to be on the honours list.

• Haha 1