UK and EU reach Brexit trade deal

webfact

10 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Defence wise they are more likely to get assistance from Nato as they are both Nato members than from anything from the EU

It's not only about defense, it's about not being dependent on Russsia in any way (I.e. economically). 

10 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Charles-Henri Gallois French politician in the Popular Republican Union party

A party without any elected member (even at local level), which got less than 1% of votes in any previous election.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, candide said:

A party without any elected member (even at local level), which got less than 1% of votes in any previous election.

Wasn't the same said about UKIP 

The majority of political parties in the UK have little or no chance of ever winning an elections and forming a Government

The best they can hope for is to engineer changes so that one of the mainstream parties adopt their policies

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Wasn't the same said about UKIP 

The majority of political parties in the UK have little or no chance of ever winning an elections and forming a Government

The best they can hope for is to engineer changes so that one of the mainstream parties adopt their policies

UKIP already got 16.6% of votes in 2004. So it's not comparable. The dynamics are not comparable, too. Exit has been a rising topic in UK, while it's been a declining topic in France (as well as in most other EU countries after Brexit vote).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, candide said:

UKIP already got 16.6% of votes in 2004. So it's not comparable. The dynamics are not comparable, too. Exit has been a rising topic in UK, while it's been a declining topic in France (as well as in most other EU countries after Brexit vote).

In the 1997 general election, UKIP fielded 194 candidates and secured 0.3% of the national vote; only one of its candidates, Nigel Farage in Salisbury, secured over 5% of the vote and had his deposit returned

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

In the 1997 general election, UKIP fielded 194 candidates and secured 0.3% of the national vote; only one of its candidates, Nigel Farage in Salisbury, secured over 5% of the vote and had his deposit returned

I must admit that a 20 years horizon is beyond my anticipation capability.

42 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

The UK applied to join the EEC only on economic expectations at a time where its economy needed it . Already then, the negotiations to join took years, and years, Maybe when the UK finally joined, the Union was different than when the negotiations started. The UK has continuously pushed for a larger Single Market, open to Eastern European countries.. The British government has historically been open to Turkey joining the EU.

Which wasn't in UKIP's vIews.

It's not even in any EU members views actually. 

Macron created his party from scratch and won the presidency a year later or so; so it's not the problem.

The thing is, there is no plausible promise that will bring people to vote for a Frexit party led by the politicians we actually have.   

Edited by Opl

Best of a bad job, if you ask me. Give it 5 years, we'll see, if I live that long. Bloody mess from the start, you don't take a country in a different direction based on a 50% plebiscite. That leaves a  lot of unhappy people

Edited by nausea
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, candide said:

At least, with Boris, it's not like the Eton and Oxbridge cliques were still ruling UK!

Wait a minute.....

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2019/jul/25/two-thirds-of-boris-johnsons-cabinet-went-to-private-schools

The Oxbridge set have a strangle hold on both sides of the political divide. With only 650 seats available they will sign up for either team to grab a salary of £82k++ very generous expenses, so don't you believe the Grauniad that it's only Boris's cabinet who went to private schools.

It could be worse, they could be LSE alumni.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Loiner said:

The Oxbridge set have a strangle hold on both sides of the political divide. With only 650 seats available they will sign up for either team to grab a salary of £82k++ very generous expenses, so don't you believe the Grauniad that it's only Boris's cabinet who went to private schools.

It could be worse, they could be LSE alumni.

So no change, right? The "self-serving metrocentric urban political elite" is still ruling.

Edited by candide
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Loiner said:

Poor try there, but actually it is our Queen who rules over us, not the politicians. As a non-Brit you probably don't know or understand that, or how the elite didn't manage to 'rule' their own europhilic way by various Remainer legal and political tricks and machinations over the past 4+ years.  

Eton toff Boris did the right thing for the whole nation by delivering the plebiscite's democratic referendum result and brought us Brexit. I understand it hurts for you people, but us plebs are over the moon with it. 

Sorry, wrong choice of words!

Corrected: so the "self-serving metrocentric urban political elite" is still governing.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, candide said:

Sorry, wrong choice of words!

Corrected: so the "self-serving metrocentric urban political elite" is still governing.

Boris and his cabinet is governing, according to the referendum result, not as the will of the self-serving metrocentric urban political elite. You can still hear them wailing now.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, vinny41 said:

They see enough support for an Irexit party in Ireland, particularly given that the Irish public are paying more into the EU than the country is getting out.

“People are kind of waking up to what it means to them, how much it is going to cost them, how much they have lost,” she said.

“We are a net contributor. We don’t get anything back from the union. It costs us money to stay in.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/irexit-conference-i-am-hoping-something-comes-of-this-1.3379392

Irexit conference 2018

When I said data I mean something like a poll indicating the current support for an Irexit in the polls, or in the platform of a major political party. 

A fringe conference with Irish Trump supporters has zero value. UFO conferences have more attendees ????

Edited by Hi from France
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

The EMA was set up to harmonise the work of existing bodies across the EU, whether they have been successful or not is open to interpretation as each countries respective agencies still have their own agenda. One could argue that whilst well-intentioned, the EMA is a waste of tax-payers money.

The UK already has its own agency, the MHRA.

The EMA does much more than this, the main thing being cutting cost drug companies have by having to win separate approvals from each state. 

When a drug company designs a new drug do you really think it will prioritize the UK market authorisation over the EU Centralised marketing authorisation? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hi from France said:

When I said data I mean something like a poll indicating the current support for an Irexit in the polls, or in the platform of a major political party. 

A fringe conference with Irish Trump supporters has zero value. UFO conferences have more attendees ????

The Anti-Federalist League was a small cross-party organisation in the United Kingdom, formed in 1991 to campaign against the Maastricht Treaty.[1] It is mainly remembered now as the forerunner of the UK Independence Party.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Federalist_League

I am sure that many people would have called The Anti-Federalist League a fringe party when it was 1st formed

Haven't seen you provide a link to support your post  where UK naively expected Ireland to leave the European Union with them

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hi from France said:

The EMA does much more than this, the main thing being cutting cost drug companies have by having to win separate approvals from each state. 

When a drug company designs a new drug do you really think it will prioritize the UK market authorisation over the EU Centralised marketing authorisation? 

From Wiki

The EMA was set up in 1995, with funding from the European Union and the pharmaceutical industry, as well as indirect subsidy from member states, its stated intention to harmonise (but not replace) the work of existing national medicine regulatory bodies. The hope was that this plan would not only reduce the €350 million annual cost drug companies incurred by having to win separate approvals from each member state but also that it would eliminate the protectionist tendencies of sovereign states unwilling to approve new drugs that might compete with those already produced by domestic drug companies. 

I've highlighted the pertinent points. I suspect if it was disbanded tomorrow it would probably be quicker for pharmaceutical companies to bring their drugs to market as one layer of bureaucracy has been removed.

1 hour ago, vinny41 said:

The Anti-Federalist League was a small cross-party organisation in the United Kingdom, formed in 1991 to campaign against the Maastricht Treaty.[1] It is mainly remembered now as the forerunner of the UK Independence Party.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Federalist_League

I am sure that many people would have called The Anti-Federalist League a fringe party when it was 1st formed

Haven't seen you provide a link to support your post  where UK naively expected Ireland to leave the European Union with them

Waiting for your data first.. 

1 hour ago, Chelseafan said:

From Wiki

The EMA was set up in 1995, with funding from the European Union and the pharmaceutical industry, as well as indirect subsidy from member states, its stated intention to harmonise (but not replace) the work of existing national medicine regulatory bodies. The hope was that this plan would not only reduce the €350 million annual cost drug companies incurred by having to win separate approvals from each member state but also that it would eliminate the protectionist tendencies of sovereign states unwilling to approve new drugs that might compete with those already produced by domestic drug companies. 

I've highlighted the pertinent points. I suspect if it was disbanded tomorrow it would probably be quicker for pharmaceutical companies to bring their drugs to market as one layer of bureaucracy has been removed.

Did you actually understand that the EMA removes bureaucracy but providing a single drug approval system for the single market? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

Waiting for your data first.. 

I provided a link you have provided nothing so i suspect your post about "UK naively expected Ireland to leave the European Union with them" was fake or maybe you heard it while attending a fringe conference