Thai govt to revise immigration, business laws to lure foreign investors

webfact

3 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Indeed, some fresh new talent is direly needed in the "Movie and VDO" sector. Every time my wife turns on the TV they're mostly screaming and slapping each other.

I just thought of this the other day, the diversity in television programming in most other countries. They've got dramas, comedies, heartwarming tales of happy families, touching tales of police or hospital workers making a difference, etc. Here? Not that I've seen. 80% are the screaming and slapping dramas. 10% are news/information. 10% are variety/game shows with silly interviews/skits and those cartoon sound effects.

Look at it this way; perpetuating the slide trombone sound for future generations is to be applauded

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

they are incapable of offering meaningful concessions to foreign investors. They want to keep Thailand for the Chinese.

That's incorrect.  Thais want Thailand for the Thais, however, China plays a better game than the Thais and are stealing the country under cover of investments and tourism.

The only way Thailand can change for the better is if they get rid of their institutional bureaucracy, but we know how much they love wearing uniforms.

• Like 1

Again BS. As always, only hot air, forgotten after a day. The problem is they want foreign money but don't want the foreigner. So we can expect again some great changes that sound good but don't give us anything for our money .

I was a AB seaman..the company i worked or get a 3 year contract in the thai gulf.After a short while thailand said that  only my capatain and chief could work there.The whole operation went to hell.The thai crew didnt have a clue.

I worked in singapore..malaysia..indonesia..no problem at all.Even when i went back from work for staying in thailand with my exwife and our 2 kids i get alot of questions in immigration in BKK.Seems they think their wery special country.

Edited by stigar
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, webfact said:

Businesses and consumers are currently burdened with high costs from complying with these laws and related regulations, estimated to total Bt142 billion annually.

I suspect that this is just the tip of the iceberg.  I think the vast majority of the costs come in brown envelopes!

'the reason is that some people who did not have this 800K to show, were cheating and moved it from one to another.' 

Yes, they still dont have the 800k but now they go to an agent who pays off an IO. So the only thing they have achieved is to improve the income for agents and IO..... Oh, maybe that was the whole idea! 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, asiasurfer said:

By the way what happened to that TAT proposal for foreign residents paying same same price for National Parks??? Aw, you guessed it..

4 years I complained about the 400 baht vs 40 baht entry fee to the manager of Khao Yai national park. She told she agreed it was unfair and discriminatory and asked me to write to the national parks office in Bangkok. She said she received complaints on a daily basis but could do nothing as she had been instructed by head office that the fees must be enforced - even for locals.

4 months after sending the email to head office I received a reply which went on about Thai's paying tax etc. Usual BS.

• Thanks 1

They  should be some inspiration from more attractive countries..... because there is no strategy at all here...

example Mexico....

The steps that a foreigner retiree needs to take in order to become a legal resident of Mexico are much simpler than buying a house. If you’re over 50 and can provide proof that you can maintain and take care of your family and each one of your dependents, you qualify for permanent residency in Mexico.

That is to say, you will need to prove income of at least $1,550 for one person + $520 for each dependent  for your retirement.

If you don’t have a retirement account, you should buy a property with a value of $210,000 or a bank account with an average balance over 8 months of at least $25,000.

Permanent residency in Mexico is  done easily with a good lawyer and there is no hidden costs or laws changing daily...

Bonus : You don’t need yearly renewal as it never expires.

For a business person it is different than a retiree but there is also good options.

If you want to go further , it is also relatively easy for the residency to turn into citizenship.

Is it clear ? 

We should get a similar strategy in Thailand...  (Copy Paste )

15 hours ago, webfact said:

Govt to revise immigration, business laws to lure foreign investors

By The Nation

800_187a99b311943f0.jpeg?v=1608820733

The government plans to revise key laws and regulations covering immigration, foreign business and other sectors next year in order to draw more foreign direct investment.

The revisions will also cover foreign workers, excise tax, city planning, biodiversity, the movie and video business, and energy sector including infrastructure and alternative energy.

The government aims to achieve at least 85 per cent of the revisions targeted under its “regulatory guillotine” scheme next year, according to a government source. 

The Public Sector Development Commission has led the mission to make doing business in Thailand much easier than it is today.

Businesses and consumers are currently burdened with high costs from complying with these laws and related regulations, estimated to total Bt142 billion annually.

The Thailand Development Research Institute projects that the revisions of laws and regulations would lower annual costs by 55.2 per cent or Bt133 billion for consumers and 22.4 per cent or Bt9 billion for businesses.

The government is hoping the revisions will help lift Thailand in the World Bank’s “Ease of Doing Business” rankings from its current 21st place into the top 10.

Foreign and local businesses have long complained about cost burdens stemming from complying with Thai bureaucracy, but the government has been slow to deregulate. Foreign investors have pressed for “friendlier” laws on immigration, foreign business and tax.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30400181

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-12-25

Reform is needed - but as said, I wouldn't expect too much.

One thing that been overlooked for decades is private language schools aimed at business. The restrictions on employing foreigners in ration to Thai citizens and the 51% Thai ownership laws and employment conditions make it impossible to start an effect school here.

Online teaching has to some extent avoided the problem, but Thailand has a very low level of English in business and needs to address this if they are going to attract foreign investors....so buck up and reform the Language teaching relations.

The headline says it all " to lure" to tempt  or attract by  by the promise  of a reward. The Thai Govt thinks that foreign investors will be sucked in by more bureaucratic  BS. Business is not done on a promise. Nobody will invest in a country that has no consistent and ongoing policies that will hold firm for years to come.  Governments like the Thai with inward thinking self elected  government representatives? that are not answerable to the people  do not understand the Western philosophy of doing business. They will not attract large foreign investment until they understand that laws  and regulations must be cast in concrete and cannot be changed on the whim of a politician or the needs of the day. An "A" grade investment is made with a time consideration. Not on a whim or a promise.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, biggles45 said:

'the reason is that some people who did not have this 800K to show, were cheating and moved it from one to another.' 

Yes, they still dont have the 800k but now they go to an agent who pays off an IO. So the only thing they have achieved is to improve the income for agents and IO..... Oh, maybe that was the whole idea! 

Agreed.

I think these changes happened after the offices were filled with 'No Tips" signs.  Promised compensation arrangements perhaps.

2 hours ago, Cranky said:

Thailand has and will always do just fine, despite the government never because of it.

That depends on what you regard as doing 'just fine' -  maybe a small percentage of the population do 'just fine'. There is still a vast percentage that either live in poverty or very close to it. It would be more civilised and certainly more humane if they developed at least a basic welfare system.  To relate that to the current situation - they may get more people coming forward to report Covid 19 symptoms if they knew they had a safety net.  At the moment, they may have to choose between report or feed their family. But of course, a welfare system means paying taxes to fund it. 

Still, if some incentive was given to report Covid 19 symptoms instead of planning trips to the moon and buying yet more submarines, the nation would be safer.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, smutcakes said:

Compared with its neighbors Thailand still has competitive overall package to offer investors. Of course anything to improve it is a good thing.

That’s like being the tallest man in Japan.

Anybody who's lived in Thailand for some time knows that immigration was perfectly fine until precisely six years ago......  The worst damage has been inflicted in the last three years, and the disgusting situation of negotiating for entrance into Thailand based on the amount of extortion levied from the lads in charge is an absolute death knell for Thailand......  

Attached is a picture of Cheap Charlies from a just a few years ago, all these great popular places destroyed by who and for what ?     This is just a small example of the sad situation that's ravaging the country at the moment........ and i don't mean C19......       

Charlies Bar..jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Pracha Duang said:

I have citizenship in 13 different countries and all I had to do was pay a fee. France cost me $1 million usd, New Zealand was $2mil, but Brazil and Colombia were only $15k. The cost of Thai citizenship should be on par with that of Brazil. 

YOU are trying to impress us with so much non sense, that it is not even funny.

Brazil and colombia sell citizenships for 15K ? get out of here.

Thailand attracts only EX-KGB and CCP money? wow look at the big global businessman who also

knows to identify ex- KGB agents as they walk in and out of thai banks.

And why dont we all open companies in singapore and do our thai business from there ??

can it be because we are not so inteligent and sophisticated like you?

nope. it is because it is illegal and acctually impossible, you cannot send a shipment from your factory / supplier in thailand on the name of your company in singapore because...well, that is the law, sir.

And for dessert, you tell us that Bezos, Theil, Zuckerburg, Lonsdale are all interested in investing in Thailand but won’t until .... LOL seriously? you just talked with them on the phone? and they also complain about thai immigration laws? that is the only thing that stops them from investing in thailand billions and billions of hot fresh USD ? well than you must tell them to open an account in this forum, we are waiting for them with some

good heart warming  advices !!!

Edited by SCOTT FITZGERSLD
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

And why dont we all open companies in singapore and do our thai business from there ??

it is because it is illegal and acctually impossible,

Fascinating. I guess I should close up my company in Singapore.

Try not to get in the way of those who are doing the things you think are impossible.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

That depends on what you regard as doing 'just fine' -  maybe a small percentage of the population do 'just fine'. There is still a vast percentage that either live in poverty or very close to it. It would be more civilised and certainly more humane if they developed at least a basic welfare system.  To relate that to the current situation - they may get more people coming forward to report Covid 19 symptoms if they knew they had a safety net.  At the moment, they may have to choose between report or feed their family. But of course, a welfare system means paying taxes to fund it. 

Still, if some incentive was given to report Covid 19 symptoms instead of planning trips to the moon and buying yet more submarines, the nation would be safer.

Fine as in OK. Not great, not bad. People aren’t starving. The rich are getting richer, the poor poorer; pretty much the same as anywhere else.

As long as there is no rule of law and endemic corruption exits nothing can change. 

1 hour ago, dcnx said:

Fascinating. I guess I should close up my company in Singapore.

Try not to get in the way of those who are doing the things you think are impossible.

i am not saying you should close your company in singapore.

all i am saying is that you cannot use a company outside thailand, for (serious) business transactions

in thailand. the xample i gave is that you cannot send big shipments of goods you buy in thailand, from thailand, with the name of a company that is based outside of thailand. the shipping companies just wont allow it.

and even if you can ship goods out of thailand with a company based in singapore, you cannot invoice

them with the singapore company, hence you cannot pay the taxes involved, and this makes

the whole business process illegal or iiregular.

yes, you can do it for some time, but in the long run, or when you will want to move large amounts 

of money, you might get problems and might be fined or deported or even worse.

6 hours ago, dcnx said:

That’s like being the tallest man in Japan.

Yes its so bad for 30 years Japanese companies have been locating here. Now its Chinese, Taiwanese and more. Many Hi Tec companies cannot get out of the US quick enough. 

Does not sound like they are doing to badly.

19 hours ago, high plane drifter said:

I know the visa sharks need some income too,

17 hours ago, Iron Tongue said:

The only way Thailand can change for the better is if they get rid of their institutional bureaucracy, but we know how much they love wearing uniforms.

Whatever changes may be made, and revised charges introduced, rest assured that the "informal" charges will also be adjusted, so the total costs will remain the same - indeed if the new arrangements are regarded as an improvement they will probably increase!

11 hours ago, Pracha Duang said:

Turn Thailand into a tax free haven like Singapore and watch the foreign money come dumping in. I do business in Thailand but all my companies are Singapore based to avoid US and Thai corporate taxes. I literally have no idea why anyone would actually set up a business in Thailand when you can just backdoor through Singapore.

As for immigration, Thailand needs to make the path to citizenship far easier. I have citizenship in 13 different countries and all I had to do was pay a fee. France cost me $1 million usd, New Zealand was $2mil, but Brazil and Colombia were only $15k. The cost of Thai citizenship should be on par with that of Brazil. 

But in Thailand, I have been unable to acquire citizenship no matter the price I offer, no matter how high up my connections are. This is ridiculous and needs to be changed if they expect folks like Peter Theil, Elon Musk etc...to do business here. Peter has plenty of businesses in Vietnam but zero in Thailand. Why? And more importantly why is Thailand not interested  in money from American billionaires?

I discuss this with my wife all the time. Thailand has so much potential but they squander it all because of ridiculous archaic rules and laws and isolationist mentality. Bezos, Theil, Zuckerburg, Lonsdale are all interested in investing in Thailand but won’t until things are changed and Thailand becomes more “Western friendly” like Singapore.

Currently Thailand is mostly just a money laundering haven for ex-KGB and the CCP. To get the real money though, the “big boy” money that is actually legit, they need to become a tax-haven for US businesses in particular. Thailand really needs to focus 100% of it’s energy on attracting Americans to do business here. That’s the only path forward for Thailand. Otherwise I see it going the way of Venezuela as inflation eats it alive. FED gonna keep printing and given that Thailand imports everything from the West that is worth buying, this country is going to be absolutely demolished by inflation. If you’re reading this, put your money in US stocks now!!! $ARKG $ARKK $ARKF $ARKQ $ARKW $TAN $QQQ. You’re welcome.

What a steaming pile of <deleted>....

• Like 1