Britain to restrict promotion of unhealthy food from April 2022

webfact

7 hours ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

this will not work... I know Type 2 diabetic patients that prefer to inject insulin a few times per day, than to try to lose 10 percent body fat and be possibly medication free...

The government should increase the price of insulin ten-fold.....  a financial incentive to lose body fat and get healthy ????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, webfact said:

"We are restricting promotions and introducing a range of measures to make sure the healthy choice is the easy choice. Creating an environment which helps everyone eat healthier foods more regularly is crucial to improving the health of the nation," public health minister Jo Churchill said.

This all depends on your point of view e.g. vegans say all meat products are unhealthy we should concentrate on vegetables, but chips are made from a vegetable and many state chips are unhealthy where do you draw the line.

Personally my line is more on moderation, a balanced intake of meats (pork, chicken and beef) and vegetables would do all OK. Quantity intake is the bigger problem rather than the individual components, if you consistently eat twice the volume your body can handle it will lead to problems.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Good news. Governments should be much more restrictive with all the junk food. As long as the majority of people is poor and uneducated, it’s unfortunately something you need to forbid or restrict and not something you can let them manage themselves. Unfortunately there’ll always be the big corporates and their lobbyists fighting against it. 

Agree, but also triple tax on it so healthy food is cheaper.

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Natai Beach said:

They won’t be told. 

I think most of the 66% of Brits who are plus size know generally that high fat and sugar makes them fat already but they still eat it to unhealthy levels anyway. 
I doubt banning some advertising will make much difference. To make a difference they would actually have to ban the food. 

Is this a brainstorm of Boris who recently decided to lose weight after nearly dying of covid? He does have quite a nice set of lovely man boobs.

DB3E98DF-D94B-4A7D-9EDF-FE1E04A2BAE1.jpeg

DCFF56FA-55CE-4F2A-BF74-9E8284597F5C.jpeg

412C6F17-6CDA-4774-A39C-66660E6FA03D.jpeg

First picture he just looks large, 2nd a bit top heavy. the 3rd he should be wearing a bra

1 hour ago, digger70 said:

What's this got to do with the government what people want to advertise/eat or throw away. 

Keep out of it it's up to the people what they want to buy.If it's not advertised people still want to buy what they like ,some be Healthy food some maybe not. None of their business.

Problem being who determines "healthy" or not, it goes round like a merry-go-round, one day salt is bad for next salt is OK, ditto coffee, eggs, chips, beef, chicken, etc, etc. If we follow every "instruction" of this is not good for you we would not even be allowed water to drink or air to breathe.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Victornoir said:

We must excuse the English and their frenzied taste for fats and sweets, reason of endemic obesity. The alternative of fine and healthy cuisine that gives off flavors and perfumes is simply non-existent.

In France, it was said jokingly that they had conquered half the world in search of a decent meal. But unfortunately there is no longer an empire.
So folks, continue to present the fish and chips or burgers as culinary pinnacles and plan for transport of heavy loads.

????

In my view nothing is taboo food wise but moderation and balance, in all you consume is paramount if you have something high in sugar one day try for something low in sugar the next, etc., etc. by the way I'm not English although I come from the UK.

Edited by foreverlomsak
Clarification
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

That’s just not true, if you cook your own food and it can be both economical and healthy. 

Vegetables are overpriced. And why cook when you can get a tub of Pringles or microwave lasagne for the same price as a pepper.

Same applies in Thailand, if you order anything that isn’t 80% noodles/rice it’s over double the price 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

Problem being who determines "healthy" or not, it goes round like a merry-go-round, one day salt is bad for next salt is OK, ditto coffee, eggs, chips, beef, chicken, etc, etc. If we follow every "instruction" of this is not good for you we would not even be allowed water to drink or air to breathe.

I agree ,that just shows you how F..up they are and that's why they Have to stay out of it.

Let the people decide what they want to eat .

• Like 1

11 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

That's very true.

In my earlier post I also mentioned salt, sugar, fat, mainly due to the book 'Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us' by Michael Moss, an investigative journalist :

"Michael Moss was able to get executives of the world's largest food companies to admit that they have only one job—to maximize sales and profits—and to reveal how they deliberately entice customers by stuffing their products with salt, sugar, and fat."

5 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

Vegetables are overpriced. And why cook when you can get a tub of Pringles or microwave lasagne for the same price as a pepper.

Same applies in Thailand, if you order anything that isn’t 80% noodles/rice it’s over double the price 

Vegetables are overpriced?

Lol

• Sad 1

On 12/28/2020 at 8:45 AM, bkk6060 said:

They are a very fat out of shape country.

Many people suffer from type 2 Diabetes.

From BBC:  The overwhelming majority of adults in England are so unhealthy they put their lives at risk, a survey suggests. The data from the Health Survey for England showed nearly nine in 10 had at least one unhealthy trait. ... Half of adults have two or more of these risk factors 

This has translated into the high Covid deaths, percent higher then even the US per population.

The article says 2/3 in Britain. From my interaction I would say 90% of British in Thailand.  Fat, out of shape, smoking and drinking too much.  Very sad.

Good for Britain for at least trying on this worldwide problem.

I sure hope the announcement and implementation of these measures will have positive results on the British people.

Yeah right, and all the Americans, Australians and assorted Europeans are all tea total vegetarians who work out five times a day!

Edited by onthedarkside
trolling comment removed
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, Victornoir said:

We must excuse the English and their frenzied taste for fats and sweets, reason of endemic obesity. The alternative of fine and healthy cuisine that gives off flavors and perfumes is simply non-existent.

In France, it was said jokingly that they had conquered half the world in search of a decent meal. But unfortunately there is no longer an empire.
So folks, continue to present the fish and chips or burgers as culinary pinnacles and plan for transport of heavy loads.

????

Pompous BS!

French cuisine changed dramatically, IME, in the last decade. Much more fast foods, convenience foods etc. Even read articles saying many bakeries were struggling because the French demand for bread had decreased dramatically.

Main difference being in French McDonald's you can buy wine and beer. Very healthy.

Shoveling down all that wine, foie gras, rich sauces and cheese must be fantastically healthy. And smoking still seems much more common there than UK or Germany. 

French cuisine, like the French language, is a quaint thing of the past in world relevance!

Edited by Baerboxer

Should be the other way around. Government shouldn't tell its people what to eat. The people should tell anybody who is an elected official: no meat, reduced salt and fat, only fruit and vegetables for breakfast and lunch, no alcohol, reduced diary, especially cheese. See how they like it. Remember they serve you. You don't serve them.

Edited by John Drake
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, John Drake said:

Should be the other way around. Government shouldn't tell its people what to eat. The people should tell anybody who is an elected official: no meat, reduced salt and fat, only fruit and vegetables for breakfast and lunch, no alcohol, reduced diary, especially cheese. See how they like it. Remember they serve you. You don't serve them.

Reducing the number of politicians, lobbyists, activists and associated propagandists would be beneficial to public health!

1 minute ago, Baerboxer said:

Reducing the number of politicians, lobbyists, activists and associated propagandists would be beneficial to public health!

I'll bet there is a higher percentage of overweight pols and lords than average people.