Covid-19 vaccination availability in Thailand.

thoengthaied

Apologies if this has already been discussed but I HAVE done a search. Is there a scheduled start date for vaccinations to be given in Thailand? In all my searches all I can find is an article from early December stating that vaccinations will be available in Thailand from May 2021. Surely there must be an update to this now that vaccines are being made available in UK and Europe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If a Covid vaccine doesn't emerge by late Spring 2021 my wife and I are considering going back to America to get one. The only thing blocking this brilliant plan is I'm not sure if getting a vaccine anywhere other than Thailand will let us avoid the whole Quarantine quagmire so we may be in for a long stay back in The States which isn't ideal for us at this time but probably better than flapping in the wind with no set date to get the vaccine. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

In today's daily brief in English, there are comments about the vaccine efforts.

You can find it on the NNT FB page.

Press conference of the Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) on December 28, 2020
• COVID-19 situations in Thailand and around the world
• Measures to contain and prevent the spread of COVID-19
Broadcasted from Government House of Thailand
Facebook: NNT- National News Bureau of Thailand

It's towards the end and a bit confusing:

1. COVAX efforts.  https://www.who.int/initiatives/act-accelerator/covax

2. Local vaccines being developed at Chula (BioNTech mentioned so maybe some/all are mRNA?)

3. Siam Bioscience license from AZ

4. Purchase of doses from AZ (may be related to #3?)

Edited by mtls2005
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mtls2005 said:

In today's daily brief in English, there are comments about the vaccine efforts.

You can find it on the NNT FB page.

It's towards the end and a bit confusing:

1. COVAX efforts.

2. Local vaccines being developed at Chula

3. Siam Bioscience license from AZ

4. Purchase of doses from AZ (may be related to #3?)

There is a contract in place to purchase vaccine for 13 million next year (although vaccine not yet approved for use here) and there is a manufacturing agreement to make vaccine (for international company to sell in region).  There are 3 vaccines of local source testing in animal's and expected to be tested in humans mid year.  No word on when any vaccine will be approved for use in Thailand.

3 hours ago, brommers said:

The government is more interested in sending a Thai spacecraft to the moon than in buying vaccines! It has not contracted to buy any of the mRNA ones but will produce the Oxford AstraZeneca one after it has been approved in the UK and here. The authorities were complacent and did not think there was a need to rush. I bet Anutin will be considering this now he is in self isolation courtesy of his mate the governor of Sakhon Samut!

I believe last week here or Bangkok Post that they had sign an contract to purchase 20 million of the AstraZeneca which is supposed to be at the stage soon to ask for the Emergency usage January 2021

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

I believe last week here or Bangkok Post that they had sign an contract to purchase 20 million of the AstraZeneca which is supposed to be at the stage soon to ask for the Emergency usage January 2021

As mentioned earlier the contract is for 26 million shots which will serve 13 million people.  The will also receive technology to produce for sale to maker.  So sounds as if they may end up making what they are buying?

None available in Thailand .they just stopped a company advertising for a foreign vaccine because it ain't Approved in thailand.

It seems that they want only the Thai vaccine from a thai company they made a Deal with this company  .

That's only to make the Billions of Thb and keep all the money in the country. For sure Some rich people getting Richer.

3 minutes ago, digger70 said:

None available in Thailand .they just stopped a company advertising for a foreign vaccine because it ain't Approved in thailand.

It seems that they want only the Thai vaccine from a thai company they made a Deal with this company  .

That's only to make the Billions of Thb and keep all the money in the country. For sure Some rich people getting Richer.

I don't think that's true, Thailand as far as I am aware has signed up to the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine, once it passes approval here they will also have the manufacturing rights.

3 minutes ago, digger70 said:

They stopped a hospital advertising advance deposit payments to obtain 10,000 baht vaccination at some point in the future!   Yes the fact no vaccine has been approved was used to stop this but really do not believe has anything to do with maker(s).  

4 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

I don't think that's true, Thailand as far as I am aware has signed up to the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine, once it passes approval here they will also have the manufacturing rights.

Well it Is you just said it yourself. 

I Said  The Thais will only allow the vaccine that they approve and  that's the one they will Manufacture and make all the money .

11 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

They stopped a hospital advertising advance deposit payments to obtain 10,000 baht vaccination at some point in the future!   Yes the fact no vaccine has been approved was used to stop this but really do not believe has anything to do with maker(s).  

They stopped the hospital advertising  because the vaccine Isn't approved in Thailand.

I know it's a P!sspoor excuse but that's what they said

Edited by digger70

17 minutes ago, digger70 said:

Well it Is you just said it yourself. 

I Said  The Thais will only allow the vaccine that they approve and  that's the one they will Manufacture and make all the money .

No, I think you will find that they have agreed to BUY a large amount of the vaccine before they get the manufacturing rights. If I'm wrong someone will let me know.

3 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

No, I think you will find that they have agreed to BUY a large amount of the vaccine before they get the manufacturing rights. If I'm wrong someone will let me know.

Well we just don't know the Deal they made But it will Profit Thailand Otherwise they wouldn't have done the Deal.

5 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

As above and i think you will find it is the Astra zenca vaccine from Oxford which they have ordered and are then looking at producing.

2 minutes ago, stretch5163 said:

As above and i think you will find it is the Astra zenca vaccine from Oxford which they have ordered and are then looking at producing.

I said that about 8 posts above but digger70 seems to have an agenda, again, if I am correct, Oxford / AstraZeneca will give the manufacturing rights to any country that buys a reasonable amount from them just to cover R & D costs. Whereas the USA versions & others will cost a lot more. Good thing that the UK is not greedy like others, this is a humanitarian approach. ???? ????????

• Like 2

I started taking the Russian vaccine and it's doing me good sometimes I feeling when I try to communique or writчувствую my experience isчто-то странное в том, как писать ????

Edited by Tarteso
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, brommers said:

The government is more interested in sending a Thai spacecraft to the moon than in buying vaccines! It has not contracted to buy any of the mRNA ones but will produce the Oxford AstraZeneca one after it has been approved in the UK and here. The authorities were complacent and did not think there was a need to rush. I bet Anutin will be considering this now he is in self isolation courtesy of his mate the governor of Sakhon Samut!

I keep asking myself why has Thailand not more publicized information on what vaccines it has purchased , when it expects a vaccination programme to start , what preparations are underway for a vaccine roll-out ,  what strains of the Covid-19 virus have been detected ????? The government must be mad to have gone through all these stringent measures to protect the influx of the virus (borders closed, tourist industry shut down )  and only to find that with the vaccines now available and being rolled out in other countries ,and near the end of all these so far successful strategies , that Covid has now penetrated the defences and spreading but still no vaccines available here or a programme to adminster same !!  Wouldn't it be a stupid waste of all the effort to date if the virus was now to spread rapidly and the country still way behind others with no vaccination roll-out programme !!!    

9 hours ago, wasabi said:

considering going back to America to

Don’t do it.. I’m American but don’t think they’re cure all at this time... with the US economy in shambles many small businesses , restaurants forced out of business the list goes on.. .. people get desperate crime increases.. iMO

give it 6+ months and see how the worldwide conditions are..

read this in US news yesterday....

We gather today to mourn the 150-year-old restaurant that served up platters of fried chicken and creamed corn to Abilene, Kansas. To bid farewell to the New Orleans cafe that was a destination for huge crab omelets and endless conversation. To raise one last glass to the tavern in Cambridge, Massachusetts, where the regulars arrived at 8 a.m. and the Austin, Texas, diner where Janis Joplin nearly sang the neon lights off the walls.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Maybe they'll get the Russian one but who wants that

AstraZeneca/Oxford have signed an agreement with Russians. Reason improved efficacy for >55. Lots of info on Google. I guess TH will go for a vaccine which doesnt require fancy cold storage.

8 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Quick question, if one is diagnosed as having COVID-19 do they still get the vaccination at some point ?

Does anyone know the answer  

I'm no expert but pass on what was discussed on TV in Austria tonight: yes, you should get vaccinated. However, no rush but give priority to others who have not had an infection. I.e. join the queue at the end.

• Like 1