Own beer-brewing pub - license possible?

The Londoner and a few other places brew their own beer for sale on the same premises - seems legal.

Does anyone know if there are yearly limits that have to be brewed to get a license?

Of course it's not possible to sell the bottled product when brewing small amounts only.

Feedback and inputs appreciated, much thanks ahead!

13 minutes ago, heiri007 said:

The Londoner and a few other places brew their own beer for sale on the same premises - seems legal.

Does anyone know if there are yearly limits that have to be brewed to get a license?

Of course it's not possible to sell the bottled product when brewing small amounts only.

Feedback and inputs appreciated, much thanks ahead!

Are you talking about brewing for personal use or in a restaurant?

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

Doesn't seem very feasible to me if you need to have 10 million baht in capital while being a limited company then producing at least 100,000 liters a year, while selling only on-site and not for off premise sales.

Two types of licenses are available in Thailand for would-be beer producers. Thailand's 1950 Liquor Act states that beer can only be made in a factory making more than 1,000,000 litres per year or in a brewpub producing at least 100,000 litres per year for sale on-site with no bottling permitted. Brewpub beers cannot be sold off-premises.[7] The finance ministry in 2000 ruled that, for either type of producer to be legal, they must be a limited company with capital of at least 10 million baht.[5][8] The maximum penalty for "home brewing" under the 1950 Liquor Act used to be 200 baht for making it and 5,000 baht for selling it. A new law passed by the National Legislative Assembly in December 2016 raised the maximum penalty for illegal production to 100,000 baht or a prison sentence of six months, or both.

Right - as always, this is Thailand. The small craft brewery on Koh Kred sells the own brews each Saturdays, 100 baht per glass. Sure they don't sell 274 liters each day... everything's out in the open and the restaurant's owner told me he pays tax on the beer and everything.

Wonder how he manages to produce below 100k liters per year while running a seemingly legal business.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, marin said:

Chit is a great publican, and well connected. He is a former colonel in the Thai military who still teaches some classes at the Royal Thai Military Academy. He only sells at his joint and does not make waves in anyway. So he is simply left alone to brew the beer he loves.

So it all comes down to connections, got that.

On 12/28/2020 at 12:17 PM, heiri007 said:

Wonder how he manages to produce below 100k liters per year while running a seemingly legal business.

Thailand's 1950 Liquor Act states that beer can only be made in a factory making more than 1,000,000 litres per year or in a brewpub producing at least 100,000 litres per year for sale on-site with no bottling permitted.

On 12/28/2020 at 1:44 PM, ThailandRyan said:

Doesn't seem very feasible to me if you need to have 10 million baht in capital while being a limited company then producing at least 100,000 liters a year, while selling only on-site and not for off premise sales.

Two types of licenses are available in Thailand for would-be beer producers. Thailand's 1950 Liquor Act states that beer can only be made in a factory making more than 1,000,000 litres per year or in a brewpub producing at least 100,000 litres per year for sale on-site with no bottling permitted. Brewpub beers cannot be sold off-premises.[7] The finance ministry in 2000 ruled that, for either type of producer to be legal, they must be a limited company with capital of at least 10 million baht.[5][8] The maximum penalty for "home brewing" under the 1950 Liquor Act used to be 200 baht for making it and 5,000 baht for selling it. A new law passed by the National Legislative Assembly in December 2016 raised the maximum penalty for illegal production to 100,000 baht or a prison sentence of six months, or both.

I think you might be confused about Thai companies and the “limited capital”. 

Best beer I have had in Thailand was at Tawandang German Brewery in Bangkok.

Nectar.

A75168B2-A38D-414F-ADA8-E1C42831DB75.jpeg

• Like 1

Don't take my word for it but a couple of years ago I read an article somewhere about people wanting to set up breweries in Thailand.  Apparently there are laws that say you have to brew very large quantities - these guys were just the micro brewery type and had resorted to crossing over into Cambodia to do their brewing then facing import duty to get their product in.  Sounds like a law that was put in place by the owners of the big brands.

I don't know how The Londoner and Tawan Daeng get away with it if that's the case, maybe the law is different if the beer is consumed on the premises?

Found this:

https://www.goodbeerhunting.com/blog/2020/10/12/waiting-for-a-year-of-change-how-thai-brewers-are-fighting-against-a-government-backed-beer-duopoly

A good explanation of the situation and reading between the lines, how Thailand runs in general.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 2