Anyone have heart problems and what meds do you take.

ivor bigun

6 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Thanks for that......are you on both more or less permanently......and can I ask.....don't answer if you don't want to.....is the problem BPH?

Been on them for about 4 years. Yes, mild BHP and hypertension. Take a Bestatin and baby Aspirin also, and usually a couple of Paras as well.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Only the Americans could come up with that point of view. If doctors globally took any notice they would be putting millions like myself at risk.

Do you really think that aspirin is the only drug that interferes with blood clotting that is used in stroke prevention.

Stomach problems from aspirin can be mitigated but hemorrhagic stroke could be lights out whichever drug had been prescribed.

I was on aspirin for years and in 2009 my doctor in UK said at my age I should move on to Warfarin, I declined and stayed on the aspirin and then in 2017 doctor here in Thailand suggested I go on to Apixaban which was approved in 2013. Less side effects than Warfarin and comes out of the system quite quickly if you need the dentist, only downside is the 60 baht a day.

You should let Harvard Medical school know..they're probably risking people's lives due to not checking with you first.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AlfHuy said:

Did you tell her that whenever you check your bank balance after she was out shopping, you have a feeling to be close to a heart attack?

Sure she tells you, all fine with your heart????

Yea Had that a few times , but I am fine now.that's why she's my EX  ????:jap:

20 hours ago, sandyf said:

Only the Americans could come up with that point of view. If doctors globally took any notice they would be putting millions like myself at risk.

Do you really think that aspirin is the only drug that interferes with blood clotting that is used in stroke prevention.

Stomach problems from aspirin can be mitigated but hemorrhagic stroke could be lights out whichever drug had been prescribed.

I was on aspirin for years and in 2009 my doctor in UK said at my age I should move on to Warfarin, I declined and stayed on the aspirin and then in 2017 doctor here in Thailand suggested I go on to Apixaban which was approved in 2013. Less side effects than Warfarin and comes out of the system quite quickly if you need the dentist, only downside is the 60 baht a day.

There are 2 generic versions approved in Dec 2019.. Should be much cheaper.. check it out

7 hours ago, Sheryl said:

The "global consensus"  is that it should not be administered on a mass level but rather only to people with specific risk factors such that the benefits outweigh the risks and under medical advice,

No difference between US, UK, Australia, EU countries etc on thsi matter.

Are you really trying to say that blood thinning and anticoagulants are not used on a mass level as a stroke prevention measure.

As for litigation, In the UK it is not the first thing that comes to mind.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Jeffrey346 said:

There are 2 generic versions approved in Dec 2019.. Should be much cheaper.. check it out

Thanks for that, got anymore detail and I will bring it up with the cardiologist. I assume they are not of Thai manufacture or I think he would have mentioned it. Every time I get a prescription he has to give the hospital pharmacy a reason why he is prescribing an imported drug.

29 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Are you really trying to say that blood thinning and anticoagulants are not used on a mass level as a stroke prevention measure.

As for litigation, In the UK it is not the first thing that comes to mind.

On a mass level (meaning for everyone irrespective of risk factors) most definitely not.

As I said, they are advised only for people with specific risk factors. That is a lot of people,  but it is not everyone nor even a majority of people.

In people without special risk factors the potential risks of aspirin and orher anticoagulents outweighs the potential benefits.

Nothing to do with litigation. Just good medical practice.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

On a mass level (meaning for everyone irrespective of risk factors) most definitely not.

That is a cop out, drugs are only prescribed where a risk is present so that is a taken. 

Someone tried to make out that aspirin should not be taken because of a risk, part of that risk has been mitigated through coating or dispersible use. The remaining risk with aspirin also applies to any other drug that affects the blood in a similar manner. So you are left with the risk of taking the drug prescribed or take the risk of declining medication.

It is irresponsible to make misleading statements from articles on a one sided basis.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sandyf said:

Thanks for that, got anymore detail and I will bring it up with the cardiologist. I assume they are not of Thai manufacture or I think he would have mentioned it. Every time I get a prescription he has to give the hospital pharmacy a reason why he is prescribing an imported drug.

It's called Eliquis and available in Thailand. It's got to be cheaper...

https://www.facebook.com/thaiheart/posts/2700492713341488

10 hours ago, Jeffrey346 said:

It's called Eliquis and available in Thailand. It's got to be cheaper...

https://www.facebook.com/thaiheart/posts/2700492713341488

That is what I have been taking for the last couple of years, it is imported, I think from India. Eliquis is the brand name for apixaban. Bit strange on the approval, can't remember when I actually started but certainly well before Dec 19.

Bang Saen hospital is very reasonable on charges, when I first registered my hypertension tablets were about 2 thirds what I was paying at Fascino with the discount.

12 hours ago, sandyf said:

That is what I have been taking for the last couple of years, it is imported, I think from India. Eliquis is the brand name for apixaban. Bit strange on the approval, can't remember when I actually started but certainly well before Dec 19.

Bang Saen hospital is very reasonable on charges, when I first registered my hypertension tablets were about 2 thirds what I was paying at Fascino with the discount.

It was approved in Thailand on Dec 19. Approved in other countries well before.

9 hours ago, Jeffrey346 said:

It was approved in Thailand on Dec 19. Approved in other countries well before.

I looked back and I had an echo in March 2018 and that is when I was recommended apixaban. I took a while to make my mind up and got the first prescription in Nov 2018.

From what I can gather , what was approved in Dec 2019 was the manufacture of 2 generic versions of apixaban as opposed to the branded version Eliquis.

The US Food and Drug Administration has approved two companies’ applications to make generic versions of apixaban, which will be the first generic versions of any direct oral anticoagulant (DOAC) despite the drug entering the market behind two other competitors.

Micro Labs Limited and Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc. will be allowed to make their generic versions, having already demonstrated that they are bioequivalent to the branded version of apixaban (Eliquis; Bristol-Myers Squibb), which was first approved in 2012 to reduce the risk of stroke and systemic embolism in patients with nonvalvular A-fib.

https://www.tctmd.com/news/fda-approves-two-generic-versions-apixaban

In Jan 2019 there was a cost effectiveness study done  on NOACs(Non-vitamin K antagonist oral anticoagulants) of which apixaban was one. It was found that none of the NOACs were cost effective for the Thai population, probably why the doctor has to provide a letter when I get a prescription.

http://cmuir.cmu.ac.th/handle/6653943832/65833?mode=full

• Like 1