Low maintenance farming

stament

Was wondering what you can farm that isn't too tiring and doesn't require too much attention. My wife's family are ageing now so I was thinking what would be easier for them to grow. The are located in Lamphun and currently have mango trees.

There isn't a great deal of rainfall in the area and they don't have access to water hence why they grow mangoes.  

However, close to their house they do have access to water so something could be grown there too that requires water. 

All thoughts welcome, ones requiring more water close to home on a small patch of land and those on land further away from home. 

Many thanks

Edited by stament
Typo

40 minutes ago, stament said:

Was wondering what you can farm that isn't too tiring and doesn't require too much attention. My wife's family are ageing now so I was thinking what would be easier for them to grow. The are located in Lamphun and currently have mango trees.

There isn't a great deal of rainfall in the area and they don't have access to water hence why they grow mangoes.  

However, close to their house they do have access to water so something could be grown there too that requires water. 

All thoughts welcome, ones requiring more water close to home on a small patch of land and those on land further away from home. 

Many thanks

Some older people around here grow cauliflower. 

Cauliflower can be a white rice replacement in a dish, if a person has diabetes and shouldn't be eating white rice or eating in moderation

I know, difficult to get Khun Thai to change to cauliflower, but given a choice between having a foot cut off or changing meal base from white rice to cauliflower ...... 

• Like 2

Having farmed my own small land in South America many years ago but been in general farming since the 60's it will depend on the ability of your elder family members.      Giving up being "farmers" is difficult emotionally and reduces physical activity which can lead to health issues.

Growing things for the house can give one pride, any balance available for sale becomes a bonus.

Take time to study your "local" market wants then see if you can grow something suitable, perhaps even out of season, to at least cover costs and hopefully some extra for the kitty.

Depending on the type of land available near the house that has water you could try creating raised beds, then the person does not have to bend so low to manage whatever is being grown.      One walks in the trench around the bed so it can be accessed from all sides.       Obviously it must be suitable for the rainy season conditions.
Perhaps grow some beans or peas.        If there is some cash available what about a green house ?

Sorry I can't be more explicit but perhaps it will raise some questions...

22 minutes ago, carlyai said:

Cauliflower can be a white rice replacement in a dish, if a person has diabetes and shouldn't be eating white rice or eating in moderation

I know, difficult to get Khun Thai to change to cauliflower, but given a choice between having a foot cut off or changing meal base from white rice to cauliflower ...... 

Either you are eating rice or something that sort of looks like rice but doesn't taste like rice. I am Ketoesque myself and find this kind of suggestion ridiculous, sorry. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, carlyai said:

Cauliflowers are all right, but they are a long growing season and require a cool season  ,just forget them in the hot season, to hot ,rainy season  they just rot settable to all types of insects  and will require some form of chemical treatment .and most important  good fertile soil , not the best of crops .

Thai's do eat them our local market has them now wife has been buying them for a few weeks now ,but do not expect the nice solid white ones like we have ,most are small with  loose  heads my wife put them in a stir-fry , ok ,I have try Cauliflower cheese Mie -A-Roy, not very nice.

Mango trees are fairly low maintenance  ,but not a lot of money to be made ,ask TV's Grumpy John, he grows them ,could you increase the mango orchard ,with different  verities. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, carlyai said:

I used to cook in LOS an sold this at a fancy upscale market......Faux tatoes--mashed potato alternative since the thais seem to love their KFC mashers........steamed....fine chop---garlic--s/p..olive oil........easy peasy! tasty!

I grew some beetroot before and it was very easy.  Selling them was a bitch, I ended up pickling alot and still have some jars left since 2018????

If your In-laws can not do any manual work at all, then you can plant sweet potato's, they seem to thrive anywhere in Thailand with the littlest effort.

• Thanks 1

You could grow some vegetable for own consumption and selling the surplus locally. Be aware, vegetables are not low maintenance.

If you would like to do it commercially you need to focus on one species and growing them on a huge plot. And then hope the prices don't drop when you are trying to sell it.

Fruit trees are generally low maintenance but need time. Papaya is growing faster and can be harvested earlier.

You could also try cassava, maybe the sweet/human consumption type with low cyanin content. Banana tress might be also worth a try.

• Like 1