Pattaya deserted on what should be busiest week of the year, Thai media

webfact

Pattaya deserted on what should be busiest week of the year, Thai media

5pm.jpg
Picture: Saim Chon News

The period from Christmas should have been the busiest week of the year for a tourist resort like Pattaya.

But 2020 has been no normal year.

Now with Covid-19 making a comeback in Bang Lamung and wider Chonburi things are worse than ever, reported Siam Chon news. 

Pattaya is deader than ever.

5.jpg
Reporters went to Walking Street, Beach Road and Soi Bua Khao at 11 am last night. 

Hardly anyone was out and female traders couldn't get a bite.

Grannie Som who sells BBQ squid said she could barely sell anything since the latest outbreak of the virus. 

5pm1.jpg
It would take three days just to get her investment back. 

It should be noted, however, that at 2 am the same news organisation reported that "many Thais and foreigners" were in bars that were shut down after operating beyond the 12 midnight cutoff when local authorities came calling. 

Source: Siam Chon News

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, champers said:

School holidays so plenty of business on the beach during the day; more than normal I would say. We should not just consider activities after dark when discussing Pattaya during the present crisis. 

A lot of school are now closed in Pattaya because of covid - not just holidays. Closing the schools for fear of covid and tripping to the beach in the day seems daft to me

• Like 1

19 hours ago, champers said:

School holidays so plenty of business on the beach during the day; more than normal I would say. We should not just consider activities after dark when discussing Pattaya during the present crisis. 

I went twice to Pattaya last week and was stuck in traffic. They make it seem dramatic when in fact places like Makro and Foodland are bustling. I never trust the news. . .

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, Leaver said:

As I have posted, twice now, the virus has already mutated, several times over.  In its current form, the virus has a relatively low mortality rate, compared to its infection rate, but it could mutate into a real killer.  That's young, old, fat, skinny etc.  

Stopping the spread lowers its ability to mutate.  

The race for a vaccine was not just for the world economy, but to try to stop the virus before it could turn into something a lot more nasty.  

Mutating into something more harmful would be counter to the natural laws of disease evolution.

They always mutate to something less harmful, as killing their host also kills them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

It needs nipping in the bud and proactive behaviour. Don't bring the European and USA failures here! Daily new cases is steeply on it's way up, and that needs turning around. 

Not at all the case. More bad information. 250 new cases nationwide yesterday. That is NOT anything approaching a steep curve. What we need now is common sense and reason, not panic. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Not at all the case. More bad information. 250 new cases nationwide yesterday. That is NOT anything approaching a steep curve. What we need now is common sense and reason, not panic. 

Steep curves are not created by large numbers but by rapid change.... 250 was preceded by 155, did you take the time to take a look at the numbers? What we need now is proactive action..... without it new cases were predicted to be 10,000 soon,  common sense isn't that common. 

With the poor  results being achieved in the USA and Europe, (3800 deaths yesterday and the  UK 981), Thailand certainly needs to react better than them. Thailand brought it under control well by these types of actions earlier in the year, and life here had become near normal except for the absence of tourists.

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Mutating into something more harmful would be counter to the natural laws of disease evolution.

They always mutate to something less harmful, as killing their host also kills them.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-55404988

"A key question is whether the mutations might have implications for the effectiveness of vaccines, although many experts consider this unlikely, at least in the short term."

"This will become increasingly important as vaccines are rolled out so that any plausible candidates can be identified early, followed up and tracked," Dr van Dorp says.

On 12/31/2020 at 7:40 AM, regfrancis said:

I would comment here but not on same level as most, sorry 

So you post to say you're not going to post. I see. Well you should fit in very well on here. ????

Oh go on post your comment. 

11 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Not really a key question for me as I have no intention of having the vaccine, so it's effectiveness is irrelevant to me.

I'd be more prepared to have vaccines (of any sort) if they were ..........

1) produced by non-profit organisations.

2) issued free by governments to everyone they required to have them.

3) fully backed by government guarantee/indemnity against all side effects for life.

Which is the case on all 3 points on the Astra Zenica vaccine,

On 12/31/2020 at 7:45 AM, LazySlipper said:

They make it seem dramatic when in fact places like Makro and Foodland are bustling.

Now they're bustling as people are hoarding again. Does add to the drama. Me, I stocked up on booze yesterday in case there's another sales moratorium.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Not really a key question for me as I have no intention of having the vaccine,

Interesting.

I am quiet sure most countries will have a "No Vaccination - No Entry" policy.  This is not an issue, if you have no reason to leave Thailand, but I would be surprised if the Thai government didn't make it compulsory for expats to be vaccinated, at their own cost. 

It would be as simple as having to show a certificate or similar with your next visas application.  Would you then take the vaccination?  

4 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Interesting.

I am quiet sure most countries will have a "No Vaccination - No Entry" policy.  This is not an issue, if you have no reason to leave Thailand, but I would be surprised if the Thai government didn't make it compulsory for expats to be vaccinated, at their own cost. 

It would be as simple as having to show a certificate or similar with your next visas application.  Would you then take the vaccination?  

I'd pay for the vaccine and bribe the Thai nurse not to inject me.

As for No vaccine - No entry.

Every country would need to agree on the certificate, the format, the language, the verification, the make of vaccine, etc. Can't see that happening until the one world government is formed, and I'll probably be dead of old age by the time any borders open. Stuck in Thailand, could be worse, I could be stuck in the west.

You seem to have great confidence in the ability of the worlds governments to act together, I've never seen that to previously be the case, but I guess there could be a first time.

Edited by BritManToo