Being charged for unwanted messages on DTAC Sims.

I recently discovered that I was loosing 10 Baht per day from my SIM card 'pay as you go' balance because I was receiving messages advertising gaming apps. I do not play games and have never subscribed to this number which is 4849456.  I contacted DTAC customer care and they blocked the number from one of my SIM cards a week or so ago and reimbursed me for the losses but I noticed the other day that my second SIM card was also receiving the same  rubbish. How they can organise this is beyond me  but I just wanted to warn people to be aware of this rip off. Goodness knows how much the people behind this are making a day?

54 minutes ago, cheshiremusicman said:

I recently discovered that I was loosing 10 Baht per day from my SIM card 'pay as you go' balance because I was receiving messages advertising gaming apps. I do not play games and have never subscribed to this number which is 4849456.  I contacted DTAC customer care and they blocked the number from one of my SIM cards a week or so ago and reimbursed me for the losses but I noticed the other day that my second SIM card was also receiving the same  rubbish. How they can organise this is beyond me  but I just wanted to warn people to be aware of this rip off. Goodness knows how much the people behind this are making a day?

Happens a lot here, I had to ask True to disable the ability for my phone to subscribe to messages. They did and I've never had another one since.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, cheshiremusicman said:

I had the same thing a couple of years ago, I didn't know what was going on and my DTAC pre-paid credit was being chewed up. Anyway, just take your phone to the nearest DTAC store, and they'll stop it in a few seconds, when they fixed it for me they gave me a message code that I can use if it ever starts again. It's very easy to stop so see DTAC.

• Like 1

@cheshiremusicman

You can add DTAC customer service via line and share a screen grab with them.  I got a refund when it happened a few years back and they also changed the settings on my account to prohibit such SMS.

They did claim that I must have subscribed or inadvertently click a link.  Both seemed unlikely. 

My DTAC phone kept connecting to the internet for 2-3 seconds at a time every day. After 2 months it had cleaned out my credit and i'd hardly used the phone. Wife complained by phone and it was if they knew, "just type in this code ... *104*72*9# and send". Problem went away but left me thinking how it even started. Never click a link or use mobile network internet so the only explanation is they instigated it and ripped me off. Wonder how many they do this to and how much they scam out of it ?

This can't be limited to DTAC. I got loads of unsolicited <deleted> on both AIS and True. On iPhone I now receive MMS from some gambling sites that I keep reporting and deleting yet it never stops. Seems telecom can't do anything about stopping these.

Be careful locking up all SMS though. I did that once in the past, and then no more OTP came through for banking. Had to enable SMS again, though lately receiving far less garbage than in the past, which is due to Android (P30 Pro, if that matters) there's an option to block sender for calls or messages when receiving junk, and it blocks/ignores them inside the phone, regardless of what telecom does.

If you have Android phone, check if there's an option of blocking. Else I am aware of blocking apps but never installed any so don't know if they work. It would not fix your problem though, as message is already received, so you'd be charged for already... honestly didn't know that any telecom still charges for incoming SMS. Or maybe it's MMS that uses data as well?

2 hours ago, jobsworth said:

How did you manage to get a DTAC sim card?

They don't like to give to foreigners.

I've had a few DTAC sims over the years, never experienced any difficulties buying one.

Happened to me too.  I use True.  I had started getting these messages and blocked them on my phone but when the bill came I was still getting charged for them.  Went in to True and they blocked them for me and took the 600+ baht off my bill.  They also told me to use *137 if it happened again.  

I had a similar problem with AIS, I'm not on a card so was billed the charges. AIS said nothing could be done, as I must of agreed to the service. They tried to tell me it was nothing to do with them, so I asked how they could bill without proof of me agreeing? They couldn't answer, but insisted there was nothing they could do and I must pay. It was only when I said I'd been with AIS 18 years and rather than paying I'd change to another service.

The amount was B1,800. It all seemed very dodgy and I can't help but think AIS benefited somehow.

3 hours ago, rwill said:

Happened to me too.  I use True.  I had started getting these messages and blocked them on my phone but when the bill came I was still getting charged for them.  Went in to True and they blocked them for me and took the 600+ baht off my bill.  They also told me to use *137 if it happened again.  

Yes, *137. It was TrueMove in my case, too. They even offered me to fill a form (what I did not with the low financial loss) as, maybe, I would be reimbursed by True Move for the unwanted SMSs.

11 hours ago, Carlosm said:

My DTAC phone kept connecting to the internet for 2-3 seconds at a time every day. After 2 months it had cleaned out my credit and i'd hardly used the phone. Wife complained by phone and it was if they knew, "just type in this code ... *104*72*9# and send". Problem went away but left me thinking how it even started. Never click a link or use mobile network internet so the only explanation is they instigated it and ripped me off. Wonder how many they do this to and how much they scam out of it ?

Not the same thing; that is data leakage and nothing to do with DTAC. All they did with that USSD short code is turn turn your mobile Internet off completely. Not useful if you actually need to use it.

A better solution for Internet users would be *103*55*9#, costing 30 baht, which gives you a permanent ''always on'' connection of 64 kbps. No more charges for incidentally connecting to the Internet.