What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2021)

CharlieH

32 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Am I the only person in the world who does not find Larry David to be the least bit funny?

Mark me down as a dis-liker as well. And John Oliver is about as funny as chewing gum on the sole of ones shoe.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Obviously not the only one but your loss. I don’t get grouping Letterman with Larru David's shows though. 

Just referring to the style of humor. It is on the dry side. And I read a critic describing Curb as not funny at all. But smart, and insightful. I guess an examination of characters. I just do not find his character interesting on any level. Nor funny. I simply felt the same way about Letterman. Clever. But, not funny. Same with Seinfeld. I guess I watch comedy for the laugh value. Maybe Curb is not a comedy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Funniest show on TV IMO

Well, I always like to say how boring a planet this would be, if we all felt the same way about things. Part of what keeps things interesting. Different strokes. Obviously you are not alone, judging by the popularity of both the show, and Larry David. I find him to be utterly annoying. And you find him to be funny. That is rich. One has to love the difference in perception, which is entirely valid. It was the same with Seinfeld. I found him utterly annoying, and I am a New Yorker! 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Well, I always like to say how boring a planet this would be, if we all felt the same way about things. Part of what keeps things interesting. Different strokes. Obviously you are not alone, judging by the popularity of both the show, and Larry David. I find him to be utterly annoying. And you find him to be funny. That is rich. One has to love the difference in perception, which is entirely valid. It was the same with Seinfeld. I found him utterly annoying, and I am a New Yorker! 

No soup for you!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

No Time to Die, shot in a coal  hole about time JB bit the dust, I think they filmed the whole thing in a  dark basement, if they took out the endless  gun battles there would  be  no film left

Thanks for that. Don't understand why they make films in darkness, it spoils the film.

Have not watched the last two JB films and going to give this one a miss, the plots and story lines are now bleak and the action CGI scenes are completely ridiculous.

Edited by userabcd
  • Like 1

Just now, userabcd said:

Thanks for that. Don't understand why the make films in darkness, it spoils the films.

Have not watched the last two JB films and going to give this one a miss, the plots and story lines are now bleak and the action CGI scenes are completely ridiculous.

youll seriously  need  night vision goggle s for it

• Like 1

Watched Ridly Road,about the British nazis in London in 1962,what a load of rubbish,there were nowhere near as many as portrayed here ,and when they did show their faces they were booed and pelted with rotten food and eggs,then beaten up. Why does the BBC constantly change history? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, userabcd said:

Thanks have not seen that, will watch that tonight.

Just watched Shalako, How the West Was Won, Cowboy, Jubal ........ can't beat the old westerns.

And read some Lois L'Amore books, Shalako, Haunted Mesa, Jubal Sakett, Hondo.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Just watched Shalako, How the West Was Won, Cowboy, Jubal ........ can't beat the old westerns.

Agreed.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Have seen How the West was Won a long time ago so will give that watch again along with the others.

In my youth also read many of the Louis  L'Amour novels. There are two you mention I have not read so will try to find them.

The Last Bus 

Timothy Spall playing Tom, a pensioner on a mission to spread his wife’s ashes at Lands End, problem is he is at John O’Groats and decides to make the journey using only local buses !!

Finally this has appeared for stream on fmovies or dl on the usual sites.

( must be 6 months ago when I 1st mentioned this )

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9410034/

Edited by Andrew Dwyer
  • Thanks 2

Sunday night movie night has seen a long run of total <deleted> (imho) slasher horrors - the wife loved Fear street 1,2 and 3 (first one wasn’t so bad, like a homage to the 80s) Candyman reboot was awful although the cinematography was good, malignant and aftermath pretty bad, but watched the night house tonight - it’s got some mixed reviews - worth a watch if it’s your thing. I was a bit bored by the end, but there was enough in the early parts to keep me interested. 

On 10/6/2021 at 7:45 PM, spidermike007 said:

Watch very few TV shows? these days? This is the golden age of TV. There are likely more good TV shows than good movies these days. You are really missing out. So much great work. 

IMO he's saying that he has better things to do with his time than watch a screen. I won't even watch main stream tv now it's so bad, and while I do like my movies, and some tv series, I really should be reading books or doing something instead of spending a lot of time on the internet, but the dark side is strong.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

13 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Do you remember the Cinerama cinemas? Movie projected by 3 projectors on a very big curved screen. How the West was Won was on Cinerama in Auckland for ages.

I think I have it on DVD, so I might have a look again.

Did see Shalako way back, but don't remember anything except the title. There have been many movies with Cowboy in the title- I don't recall one with just "Cowboy".

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Did see Shalako way back, but don't remember anything except the title. There have been many movies with Cowboy in the title- I don't recall one with just "Cowboy".

Shalako = Sean Connery and Bridget Bardot 1968 ...... aristocrat hunting party attacked by indians

Cowboy = Glenn Ford and Jack Lemmon 1958 ........ Hotel desk clerk becomes a cowboy on a cattle drive

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

Watched Ridly Road,about the British nazis in London in 1962,what a load of rubbish,there were nowhere near as many as portrayed here ,and when they did show their faces they were booed and pelted with rotten food and eggs,then beaten up. Why does the BBC constantly change history? 

Strange. I know from reading modern history that the NSM were a small and very unpopular organization that thankfully failed to gain any traction.

But I saw nothing in this first episode that suggested otherwise. I don't understand how you came to this conclusion of yours.

I'm intrigued by this story and looking forward to the remaining episodes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

The whole season is out now.

Yes watched it about a week ago,by the way just tried to watch the Larkins a remake of darling buds of may,his 17 yr old daughter looks 10 yrs older than that ,there is a black publican and a black tax inspector in the village,really? In those days. Anyway gave it a go but its not up to much wont be watching the rest of the series.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Will27 said:

You're like a dog with a bone mate.

Makes me wonder why you even bother turning on the TV TBH.

Woof woof,actually forgetting the PC modern angle,its not very good ,in fact its awful,even if you have not seen the original,but then progs these days are made for the young generation ,not for us old farts.

• Like 1