What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2021)

CharlieH

21 hours ago, giddyup said:

If you like westerns try Sweetwater (2013) with Ed Harris, one of the best but little known. Another goodie with Ed Harris is Appaloosa.

Many thanks for the tips Giddyup and I downloaded them both last night and suddenly realised I had already seen Appaloosa and remembered it quite well so didn't watch it, however I did watch Sweetwater and thought it was great!

Always liked Ed Harris in his movies, along with Robert Duvall and I often get them confused, especially as I liked the Robert Duvall/Kevin Costner western, "Open Range", amongst others.

Once again, thank you for the tips.

PS. Forgot to mention that I also downloaded and watched one of my favourite movies, "Law Abiding Citizen" the other night and thoroughly enjoyed it yet again, although the ending was a bit disappointing for me, nevertheless, a good movie IMO.

Edited by xylophone
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Totally overrated series. Why it's achieved such popularity is beyond me.

I think it's the zeitgeist.  Also, the female lead is a superstar and everyone loves everything Korean.

This is a good reason, too:

I think the explanation is psychological. The premise of the show is a pretty obvious critique of our competition-obsessed capitalist society. The poor compete in a game of life and death quite literally for survival. And all this to entertain the super-rich. At a time when more and more people are worried about social injustice and more and more people are disillusioned with the hamster wheel of our performance-driven society, this kind of reflection on social injustice in jungle capitalism clearly sells.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/intl/blog/psychology-tomorrow/202110/why-is-squid-game-so-popular

• Like 2

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Presumably everyone is watching Squid Game?  Just "wow"!

I watched it and liked it , watched it before all the hype dropped so wasn’t expecting too much but was pleasantly surprised. ( although I do agree that the VIP’s were an unnecessary side story as reviewed by many)

Anyhoo !!

Here’s a Japanese similar series which many have compared to Squid Game .

Alice in Borderland

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10795658/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I think it's the zeitgeist.  Also, the female lead is a superstar and everyone loves everything Korean.

This is a good reason, too:

I think the explanation is psychological. The premise of the show is a pretty obvious critique of our competition-obsessed capitalist society. The poor compete in a game of life and death quite literally for survival. And all this to entertain the super-rich. At a time when more and more people are worried about social injustice and more and more people are disillusioned with the hamster wheel of our performance-driven society, this kind of reflection on social injustice in jungle capitalism clearly sells.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/intl/blog/psychology-tomorrow/202110/why-is-squid-game-so-popular

Alternatively, people just like watching gratuitous violence.

“Every dog has it's day, and sometimes it's better to quit on a high, otherwise you become like a Muhammad Ali.” ……. yes, or Morgan Freeman…. in bloody everything although he looks 90 years old ( like Clint but hes always welcome as more selective in appearances) ….. Freeman must be single handedly stopping ten black male actors from progressing ! 

'Angela Black'----ITV--6 Part Thriller   Start last night.

*The Blurb--  Trapped in a relationship she cannot escape, Angela is approached out of the blue by Ed, a private investigator, who spills her husband's darkest secrets. A new drama from the Williams Brothers, writers of Liar, Baptiste and The Missing.

"I have not seen it"

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

'Angela Black'----ITV--6 Part Thriller   Start last night.

*The Blurb--  Trapped in a relationship she cannot escape, Angela is approached out of the blue by Ed, a private investigator, who spills her husband's darkest secrets. A new drama from the Williams Brothers, writers of Liar, Baptiste and The Missing.

"I have not seen it"

Started to watch it but to be honest got bored.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO he's saying that he has better things to do with his time than watch a screen. I won't even watch main stream tv now it's so bad, and while I do like my movies, and some tv series, I really should be reading books or doing something instead of spending a lot of time on the internet, but the dark side is strong.

LOL. You are posting on the wrong thread. This one is for lovers of cinema and outstanding TV!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

Started to watch it but to be honest got bored.

Angela Black

The reviews are quite poor.

There's so much good stuff out there, I'm getting quite selective on what I watch these days.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Will27 said:

There's so much good stuff out there, I'm getting quite selective on what I watch these days.

I think I might just get selective on what I inform people has been released............ :omfg:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, sanuk711 said:

I think I might just get selective on what I inform people has been released............ :omfg:

It's all appreciated mate.

I always look forward to your posts, even if they aren't all my cup of Liptons.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

6 hours ago, seedy said:

Keep it coming.

Enjoy your recommendations

You cannot please all of the folk all of the time.....

• Like 1

11 hours ago, xylophone said:

IMO this documentary is an absolute MUST SEE, and it is on BBC iPlayer, and it is called, "Storeyville: Murder in the Bush. Cold case Hammarskjold".

It kept me riveted throughout and uncovered some hitherto unknown facts, and of course the Secret Service of the countries involved could not comment for reasons of "national security", however it becomes very obvious from all of the evidence which has been uncovered, including original documents and members of the "team", that his death in a plane crash was an orchestrated event.

If you do nothing else, then watch it.

WOW - all I can say is WOW

Takes me back to hearing Conspiracy Theory about the AIDS virus.

Of course, this was dismissed by all the "Knowledgable" people as another rant against the Military Industrial Complex which was gaining power more and more.

Now the chickens come home to roost.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Nice One

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, seedy said:

IMO this documentary is an absolute MUST SEE, and it is on BBC iPlayer, and it is called, "Storeyville: Murder in the Bush. Cold case Hammarskjold".

Storyville Have put out a lot of great Doco's in the last 15-16 years, won many BAFTA awards etc. & upset a few governments..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storyville_(TV_series)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

Keep the recommendations coming they are always welcome.

Constructive criticism is good if it is justified, but not always welcome if it is not:

DAB1B027-33E6-4B50-91B3-4D708A1630EE.jpeg.1d5a995f0dbf6744fe96010e4bd64e56.jpeg

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Will27 said:

Angela Black

The reviews are quite poor.

Watched the 1st episode & thought it’s gotten off to a good start so will watch at least the next 2.

Watched No Time To Die at Central Festival yesterday (2,000 THB 2x 1st Class) & thought it was just “Flat”, no real story line or Characters & didn’t have the same edge of the seat excitement as a normal Bond movie (the only 1/2 decent chick in it knocked him back so hardly Bond’esk)

A mate who watched it said it felt like a prelude to introducing a new 007 movie without Bond & he might be right but if it is then I won’t be paying to watch (Unless it’s Jane Bondage ???? ) 

I’d put it in the bottom 1/2 of all Bond Movies & possibly Daniel Craig’s worse (his acting was very, very flat), IMHO worse than Quantum of Solace.