What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2021)

CharlieH

9 hours ago, giddyup said:

Be Cool is a movie, he's talking about Get Shorty the TV series.

I'm talking about interesting stuff worth watching, in this case also written by Elmore Leonard, also related to the original film upon which the series was based. My contribution can be read by anybody.

Old movie but I had another watch recently. 

"Once We were Warriors" 

A NZ movie and bit different.

Short outline here.

90% liked this film
Google users

Description

Story of an urban Maori family, the Hekes, and their problems with poverty, alcoholism, and domestic violence, mostly brought on by the family patriarch Jake Heke.
Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, gargamon said:

You've been subject to this kind of thing your whole life and now it's an issue? I have to assume you, or most of the rest of you, are religious. I don't hear you crying "WOKE" every time you see a picture/statue etc of a white Jesus when he, being born in Bethlehem, would be brown, looking more like an Arab than a WASP.

And walking around in the middle of Palestine with his friend's named  "Peter-Paul-Mark -John & Mary .

And its true that he probably still wouldn't be accepted in his true color in  most Church circles.

But how is he represented now in film etc....Color of the Cross (2006) shows him as Jet Black, something he wouldn't be --unless an African slave, and all the movies I have seen for the last 15 years as always non white.

I dont think that you can right what was wrong by putting the 15th Century Queen of England as a Chinese or Black woman---Just seems to provoke more anti feeling then acceptance.

My Problem with Movies / TV is not that most of them  are Too "Woke" ”, but that they are faux-progressive dumbed-down non-offending political-over-correct instead.  It seems I am being feed with a host of Comic book charterers I read about as a kid-- or just guys/girls that wander into a room of 8-10 highly trained body guards and take them all out with their tooth pic.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Old movie but I had another watch recently. 

"Once We were Warriors" 

A NZ movie and bit different.

Short outline here.

90% liked this film
Google users

Description

Story of an urban Maori family, the Hekes, and their problems with poverty, alcoholism, and domestic violence, mostly brought on by the family patriarch Jake Heke.

I thought it was pretty good. Also the follow up "What become of the broken hearted?" was pretty good IMHO.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2021 at 8:31 AM, Jai Dee said:

Foundation, based on the Isaac Asimov novels, starring Jared Harris, the first two episodes are now available in formats up to and including 4K.

Capture.JPG.d7d4e9ccba2db45484a173a90699a455.JPG

I loved the first 2 episodes, but the 3rd lost me, what happened to Gaal?

44 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

And walking around in the middle of Palestine with his friend's named  "Peter-Paul-Mark -John & Mary .

And its true that he probably still wouldn't be accepted in his true color in  most Church circles.

But how is he represented now in film etc....Color of the Cross (2006) shows him as Jet Black, something he wouldn't be --unless an African slave, and all the movies I have seen for the last 15 years as always non white.

I dont think that you can right what was wrong by putting the 15th Century Queen of England as a Chinese or Black woman---Just seems to provoke more anti feeling then acceptance.

My Problem with Movies / TV is not that most of them  are Too "Woke" ”, but that they are faux-progressive dumbed-down non-offending political-over-correct instead.  It seems I am being feed with a host of Comic book charterers I read about as a kid-- or just guys/girls that wander into a room of 8-10 highly trained body guards and take them all out with their tooth pic.

Agree. If the movie or TV show is set in the present, than a mish mash of genders, colors, etc is to be expected. Even if it is a far fetched as a journey to Pluto. "Lets not offend anybody" just offends everybody.

But in a historical drama - stick to the facts.

Were there any members of the nobility in England that were "people of color"  ?

Doubt it

17 hours ago, Jingthing said:

So you want gay sexuality to not be depicted when that's part of the story but presumably hetero sexuality is OK to show? That's about as homophobic as it gets.

Thats not what i said Jing ,if it a story about gay people great ,then watch it ,its just that it seems to be shoehorned into most progs these days ,why?  same with a black guy married to a white woman ..

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, gargamon said:

You've been subject to this kind of thing your whole life and now it's an issue? I have to assume you, or most of the rest of you, are religious. I don't hear you crying "WOKE" every time you see a picture/statue etc of a white Jesus when he, being born in Bethlehem, would be brown, looking more like an Arab than a WASP.

i believe he was about 4ft 10 ins with a slightly humped back ,that is the description of him ,also it was about 100 yrs before he was picked as the son of God ,

1 hour ago, ivor bigun said:

Anyway back to new series ,just started watching a new one from netflix ,its called Midnight Mass set on an island of only 186 people ,its starting to look spooky ,enjoying it so far ,

mind you ,only 186 on the island but the Sherriff is a Muslim ,it has a white guy married to a black woman and their daughter is in a wheelchair so boxes ticked  nobody is gay yet.

sorry i just couldnt resist????

Dont worry in the second episode you have a white and a black lesbians so that box is ticked as well 

• Like 1

On 10/1/2021 at 10:50 AM, sanuk711 said:

Brutally violent.

Made in South Korea. And set to be Netflix's biggest global hit ever 

TOM LEONARD: Brutally violent. Made in South Korea. And set to be Netflix's biggest global

My Wife watch this last week......absolutely transfixed to the TV.......

Head of the streaming giant Netflix, has confirmed that Squid Game  is expected to become the biggest programme the network has ever shown. It is Netflix's top-rated show in 90 countries, including the UK and U.S., despite being in Korean and appearing with almost no fanfare. Some 95 per cent of its viewers are reportedly outside Korea. But the survival drama thriller offers more than gore: it is a sharp social satire about rich and poor, some say, but also a relentlessly tense mystery.

This reminds me of the hype  surrounding  Twin peaks,  biggest  load of  <deleted> ever  made when I watched it once