What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2021)

CharlieH

Al Rawabi School for Girls

A "Mean Girls" type movie from Jordan (Arabic with subtitles), but not played for laughs, it's about bullying.  And revenge.  It gives a peak into households of a different culture.  Obviously not made for a Western audience, e.g. there is scene where a girl takes off her hijab and shows her hair, and there is no explanation why this is scandalous.

It's on Netflix and torrents.

Lilyhammer

A NYC Mafia guy rats out and is sent to small town in Norway for witness protection.  It's a goofy comedy, don't take it seriously.  Stars Steve Van Zandt.

It's on torrents, all three seasons.

In case you missed it last year, The Queen's Gambit

An orphan girl becomes a chess savant and vies for world champion.  Chess and drugs and . . .

It's from one of the streaming services (Amazon?) and also on torrents.

An old movie I first saw last year has become one of my favorites, Stray Dog.  1949 by Akira Kurosawa.

A film noir in post-WWII Japan.  Seen it a few times.

Started to watch episode one of six of, "Top of the Lake" last night and thoroughly enjoyed it and will be looking forward to watch another episode tonight, or maybe two!

Directed by Jane Campion and there were two parts to the series, but the second part/series was panned, however the first series had great reviews.

Campion really does manage to get a handle on the bogan and sometime misogynistic aspects of the New Zealand male/life, so the series looks very realistic and this entirely shot in the South Island of New Zealand, so the scenery is beautiful and different.

• Like 2

Some off topic troll posts trying to hijack the topic and replies have been removed, the topic title is clear:

What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2021)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Series "Kin" that Will27 recommended, is on its last episode, so its safe to download and binge it.

Set In Dublin, it revolves around a family of mid level Drug dealers getting squeezed by the larger firms.

The animosity comes to a head when one of the family--Their hit man-  is released from prison.

Good acting --many people in it from other crime series.---8 episodes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

if interested in uplifting real life do watch these three Brit docudramas :-

“Touching The Void” rated best ever Brit doco

” Last Breath”: sat.diver accident

” Commanding a Nuclear Submarine” :famous “ Perisher” course

Last week SFX Big Screen Fest watching No Time To Die, Dune & FastFurious9. And “Foundation” Apple+TV series at Home.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

sannok: tried googling that. possibly. but only 45 non white officers of all ranks from 7000 in RN so statistically most unlikely. us navy has some though.

Thanks for the effort.......................

but the comment was in Jest

Edited by sanuk711
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

if interested in uplifting real life do watch these three Brit docudramas :-

“Touching The Void” rated best ever Brit doco

” Last Breath”: sat.diver accident

” Commanding a Nuclear Submarine” :famous “ Perisher” course

Last week SFX Big Screen Fest watching No Time To Die, Dune & FastFurious9. And “Foundation” Apple+TV series at Home.

Was Fast & Furious 9 any good? I thought No Time To Die was poor (at best) so don't want to spend another 1,000 (x 2) if it's going to be equally as disappointing... 

Loved "Touching The Void" (the book & the movie)... 

Edited by Mike Teavee

mike: thoroughly enjoyed all these movies by suspending disbelief and analysis until after. constantly amazed by the original action sequences & special effects. just light relief, almost comedy, passes the time, nice to combine with a meal. my lowest seat price 240 baht. couldn’t bring myself to watch Jungle Cruise or Ten Rings though….think Ice Road opening 28 Oct. watched that on Netflix (Ipad) six weeks ago but recommend on big screen for sure……also be sure to catch “Nobody”. yeah, that “Void” movie is on a higher plane…….as is “ Free Solo” ( Honnold / Capitan free climb) ; reminded me of “Point Break” (Angel Falls free climb). 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LosLobo said:

In these days of hyper politics and now seemingly a part of everything in everyday life, it is nice to have a break from it.

I find movies provide the perfect escape.

Is is really necessary to bring politics (that includes racism and diversity) into this forum.

Don't read stuff if you don't want. I was responding not initiating. Look up the word 'forum'

This may give some inspiration for things to watch... https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20211015-the-100-greatest-tv-series-of-the-21st-century 

Top 10 (Have to confess that I haven't seen the 1st 2 even though I've only ever seen positive recommendations for them)... 

1          The Wire (2002-2008)
2          Mad Men (2007-2015)
3          Breaking Bad (2008-2013)
4          Fleabag (2016-2019)
5          Game of Thrones (2011-2019)
6          I May Destroy You (2020)
7          The Leftovers (2014-2017)
8          The Americans (2013-2018)
9          The Office (UK) (2001-2003)
10        Succession (2018-)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1