What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2021)

CharlieH

38 minutes ago, mikebike said:

I am looking for 3 older UK series: Cutting It; Hearts and Bones; Cold Feet. Any thoughts on if/where I can find? Not seen them in the "common" places... Thanks!!

Edit: did find Cold Feet S06 and 07 on PB...

Yes - cutting it S1-4 - hearts and bones S1 and cold feet - all

Where can I upload them for you? 

• Thanks 1

For those football fans amongst us, you may well be interested in watching something on BBC iPlayer, called "Fever Pitch: The Rise of the Premier League".

Taking a chance I watched the first episode last night and was delighted to see clips from games played back in the early 90s, and these are also interspersed with the background shenanigans of Rupert Murdoch and his crew, along with some of the big names behind the Premier league clubs.

It was delightful to watch Alan Shearer as a 21 year old (what a talent) scoring a few goals, and there were also clips of Eric Cantona and many other players you would recognise from those days.

Definitely worth a watch, and a good story to boot, and I will be watching the second episode tonight – – and very much looking forward to it!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, giddyup said:

Then there was a young attractive woman trying to get 91 year old Clint into the sack, give me a break!

I have women 30-40 years younger than I trying to get me into the sack here in Pattaya, and I cannot heal animals or break horses like Clint's character does.  Marta had to be 60 in my view, attractive, but not young.

I liked the movie.  Simple, real people as characters, and a good story.  Similar to how he cast Gran Torino.  

It's all good man

Peace

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, xylophone said:

For those football fans amongst us, you may well be interested in watching something on BBC iPlayer, called "Fever Pitch: The Rise of the Premier League".

Yer I posted it earlier--when it first came out,  but didn't get any reaction about it-----I agree exciting stuff to watch. Murdoch placed everything on the line $$ wise & most people thought that was the end of him.

Did he save the English football---the figures make it hard argue against.  

1969---- 32 Million watching Football.....1989  just  17 million.

episode 2 out now---you don't have to be a football nut to enjoy all the machinations that went on ----(but it helps.........:w00t:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skallywag said:

I have women 30-40 years younger than I trying to get me into the sack here in Pattaya, and I cannot heal animals or break horses like Clint's character does.  Marta had to be 60 in my view, attractive, but not young.

I liked the movie.  Simple, real people as characters, and a good story.  Similar to how he cast Gran Torino.  

It's all good man

Peace

Bar girls who need your money trying to get you in the sack, hardly the same thing as a rich sophisticated woman (she's 52) trying to get doddery old Clint in the sack. The acting was abysmal, Clint looked as if he was reading off cue cards, but hey, if you enjoyed it that's all that matters.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2021 at 2:22 PM, AJBangkok said:

I wont go into the plot but If you like clever and intriguing movies then I would recommend “The Man From Earth “ a 2007 movie that really draws you in and makes you think.

for some it may be the most interesting movie you’ve watched in a long time, for others Bleh nothing special.

Interesting story line, quite liked it :thumbsup:

• Like 1

On 9/17/2021 at 11:50 AM, Daffy D said:

A new series of "Highway Thru Hell" Series 10 is up on EZTV

See how a local heavy recovery firm works through the hard winters helping highway users that have fallen victim to the brutal road conditions. Their essential service keeps the traffic on the highways thru hell moving.

It is mind-boggling to see these guys work with such heavy equipment and in such bad conditions. They have to have a lot of courage, be extremely tough and have the smarts to do that job. I am glad this kind of stuff is on TV. It gives us a bird's eye view of a dangerous and scary situations these guys run into all the time that I would never know about or think of. It is great to get an education on how this stuff works.

1873308947_HighwayThruHell.jpg.1101d743d3773d36e79904a5962f83c2.jpg

:thumbsup:

watched them all, very good as is 'Heavy.Rescue.401'

• Like 1

3 hours ago, giddyup said:

hardly the same thing as a rich sophisticated woman (she's 52)

Think we are talking about 2 different women.  The rich, alcoholic, lush (sophisticated???) living in the mansion who was the boys mother, yes 1 out of 2 scenes total where she was in bed and asked Clint to sit down....minor character.

The woman Marta was in many scenes with Clint and they danced together.  Last half of the movie when they stayed in the one town for a few weeks.

Only spent 33 Million on the movie, about 1/3 of the average Hollywood movie.  

14 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Think we are talking about 2 different women.  The rich, alcoholic, lush (sophisticated???) living in the mansion who was the boys mother, yes 1 out of 2 scenes total where she was in bed and asked Clint to sit down....minor character.

The woman Marta was in many scenes with Clint and they danced together.  Last half of the movie when they stayed in the one town for a few weeks.

Only spent 33 Million on the movie, about 1/3 of the average Hollywood movie.  

I couldn't suffer any more after that scene where she wanted Clint to join her on the bed, and I'm an Eastwood fan, but that was just stretching the realms of believability. It would have been nice for Clint to go out on a high instead of this hogwash, but that's only my opinion.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, xylophone said:

I haven't watched it myself yet, but my Mum pinged me a couple of weeks back raving about a film called "The Keeper", about a PoW in the North West of England who went on to play at Manchester City...

Has anybody watched it?  I normally enjoy her recommendations but I tend to avoid anything to do with PoW films or Man City

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, giddyup said:

I couldn't suffer any more after that scene where she wanted Clint to join her on the bed, and I'm an Eastwood fan, but that was just stretching the realms of believability. It would have been nice for Clint to go out on a high instead of this hogwash, but that's only my opinion.

It's not uncommon for Hollywood to make the error of having old men attracting young women. Harrison Ford did it in 6 days 7 nights in what I considered to be an unlikely romantic entanglement with Anne Heche.

There are many other such IMO attrocities in Hollywood movies when they consider "star power" to attract more ticket sales than casting more appropriate aged male leads.

13 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

I haven't watched it myself yet, but my Mum pinged me a couple of weeks back raving about a film called "The Keeper", about a PoW in the North West of England who went on to play at Manchester City...

Has anybody watched it?  I normally enjoy her recommendations but I tend to avoid anything to do with PoW films or Man City

Watched it and thought it was very good esp as it is a true story, based on the goalkeeper Bert Trautman. Give it a go!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use BBC iPlayer a lot, mainly for the sport, but because they have some good documentaries on varied themes, and one of them is the "Investigative/crime" documentaries, which I often watch, and have found to be very interesting and informative.

However I watched one called, "The Murder of Jill Dando" and overall was disappointed in the investigative theme, because it didn't seem to explore various options in relation to her death, i.e. jealous lovers/boyfriend/girlfriend, casual acquaintances and so on, or at least they were not disclosed on this doco.

The chief investigator/Detective came across as an okay sort of guy, but it wasn't until I decided to have a look further into the case, because the doco left many unanswered questions, so I took to Wikipedia to have a look and was so pleased that I did, because there were so many details that were not mentioned in that doco, and at the end of the Wikipedia article, there appeared to be compelling evidence as to what really happened, and it's one that I will buy into because it's very plausible and fits the method of "execution" of the poor woman.

Worth a look if you are interested and also a look at the Wikipedia article which can be found on: – 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jill_Dando  

• Like 2

On 9/19/2021 at 7:57 AM, giddyup said:

Only managed about 15 minutes of Cry Macho. Found it to be cliched rubbish with bad acting. Then there was a young attractive woman trying to get 91 year old Clint into the sack, give me a break! Clint should have quit after Gran Torino.

I thought it was quite a good movie, not brilliant but quite good.

As for the "Then there was a young attractive woman trying to get 91 year old Clint into the sack" The "attractive young woman was a middle aged old drunk high on drugs who wanted to have a "Gringo". A bit like what happens all the time in places like Pattaya and the like.

The star of the movie of course was the chicken "Macho", great performance. 

• Like 2

Endeavour Season 8  episode 1 ,  Chaplewaite   Season 1  8 episodes out,

Grantchester Season 6  3 Episodes out , The Lost Symbol , Season 1 Episode 1.   Murdoch Mysteries Season 15 episode 1

All decent series.

regards Worgeordie

Edited by worgeordie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

I like a good Western movie, watched one last night that I must

have missed from way back in 1968 , The Stalking Moon , staring

Gregory Peck .   fmmovies 

regards worgeordie

I’m watching Hell on Wheels a great series about the laying of the transcontinental railroad in 1860’s USA.

Also , Hatfield‘s & McCoys , based on a true story about a long time feud between two families shortly after the US civil war ( 1865 ).

Both great western series and available on fmovies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Daffy D said:

I thought it was quite a good movie, not brilliant but quite good.

As for the "Then there was a young attractive woman trying to get 91 year old Clint into the sack" The "attractive young woman was a middle aged old drunk high on drugs who wanted to have a "Gringo". A bit like what happens all the time in places like Pattaya and the like.

The star of the movie of course was the chicken "Macho", great performance. 

Edited by giddyup

Referring back to a previous post about football, I watched another documentary on iPlayer, called, "Alan Shearer: Dementia, Football and me" and it was extremely good, and he came across very well I have to say.

It really did delve into the number of ex-pro footballers who have died from, or who are suffering from, dementia and looked to find causality between heading the ball and dementia, and in the end it was established that there was a link.

It made me think because I started playing in my school football team when I was seven when the big heavy and water sodden leather balls were the only things we could play with, and had my last game when I was 45. 

I didn't play continuously between those years because there were times when I was working overseas in the likes of Libya, Nigeria, Norway and the North Sea, but whenever I was back on a break, I would always find a game of football, as I loved the game.

I was a defender and a midfield player and must've headed the ball many hundreds of times, probably more than I could count, and not only in the games I played, which would be at a good standard on a Saturday, followed by a Sunday league Premier match, followed by a midweek floodlit match and one training session at least. 

As far as I know I'm not suffering from any problems related to dementia, but three guys I played with back in my days in Sussex, when we played for Horsham, Worthing and a couple of Sussex County League sides, have recently died from dementia complications. 

One in particular I visited on my trip back to Horsham in 2019, was sad to see, because we were good friends and to see the sometimes vacant look, and on occasions, pained look on his face, and the fact that he would drift in and out of a conversation and forget even the basics was so very sad to experience from a guy who was at one time so very good and vital.

I had no idea of the amount of ex-pro footballers who had died from this, and was surprised to see their names on this documentary, and I sincerely hope that something is done to help the families of those people who are now suffering.

• Like 1

There has been so little worth watching at the cinema, I'm going to anything that might be OK so

I went to see the new "Ten rings" movie. I was reluctant because it's from Marvel and their recent efforts have IMO been dire, but as pure escapist fantasy it was OK. Not at all like the usual Iron man etc garbage from Marvel.

• Like 1