Tents with police in them? What are they supposed to do?

ExpatDraco

Are they police or province government

1 minute ago, vogie said:

We have some of these tents, maybe they are the ones they put up at holiday times for drivers to stop and have a rest also to take on refreshments.

For the OP are they police or province government officers?  There is a difference.

And Vogie is correct they usually do this to assist people.  Maybe the health workers now incase someone is not feeling well.

• Like 2

It should be in the news.

Currently only "Covid checkpoints" like earlier in 2020.

Taking temperature mainly.

General travel restriction on the horizon for three eastern provinces.

Edited by KhunBENQ

6 hours ago, Kerryd said:

I thought it was to do with Covid and possible lockdowns, but it turns out it's just for the holidays.

Was true as always during festival periods.

But as said, there is news that they started building particular checkpoints around Pattaya.

Checking movement in/out and taking temperature.

(I haven't checked the forum about it)

I have just asked my wife, she covers for the workers that man these tents, sometimes they need to do other chores, the local fire brigade was manning ours and had to around the villages spraying chemicals againgst covid so she stood in for them. She is very much involved with the local Tessabaan, so much so they have given her a uniform of her very own????.

Her words "when people drive and get tired they can stop and take on coffee, they can ask for directions"

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Was true as always during festival periods.

But as said, there is news that they started building particular checkpoints around Pattaya.

Checking movement in/out and taking temperature.

(I haven't checked the forum about it)

I've heard at least a couple provinces (Sa Kaeo and Buriram at least) have mandatory "self quarantines" for anyone coming from 4 provinces, with Chon Buri being one of them. Not sure how they'd check (or enforce) that though. 
If all they did was pull over vehicles with Chon Buri license plates, they'd miss half the people coming from there.

Pattaya could be preparing "just in case" they do another lock-down like they did last spring. Where they locked down the city to keep those dirty "tourists" out (foreign and domestic) then changed the purpose to "keeping those dirty (foreign) tourists confined in Central Pattaya" (without doing anything to prevent them from leaving) to finally giving up on it when they couldn't show any results for their efforts.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

I've heard at least a couple provinces (Sa Kaeo and Buriram at least) have mandatory "self quarantines" for anyone coming from 4 provinces, with Chon Buri being one of them. Not sure how they'd check (or enforce) that though. 
If all they did was pull over vehicles with Chon Buri license plates, they'd miss half the people coming from there.

Pattaya could be preparing "just in case" they do another lock-down like they did last spring. Where they locked down the city to keep those dirty "tourists" out (foreign and domestic) then changed the purpose to "keeping those dirty (foreign) tourists confined in Central Pattaya" (without doing anything to prevent them from leaving) to finally giving up on it when they couldn't show any results for their efforts.

TAT did an EN language update the other day on the various COVID measures by province that included travel-related stuff, such as quarantine or reporting-in requirements for people traveling from CV impacted provinces to certain other provinces.

https://www.tatnews.org/2021/01/tat-update-summary-of-provincial-covid-19-control-measures-as-of-new-year-2021/

It is just for visual, creating doubt?  The tents have two purpose one to create doubt you see them you slow down most of the time because everyone else in front of you does or avoid and turn around. Two to protect them from the sun which is consistent with their normal day sitting in their office or police box.????

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, ExpatDraco said:

The last few days a lot of tents have been setup for (undoubtedly) Covid in and around Pattaya. But what is their purpose? I only see the people (police and health care workers?) in there looking at their smartphones... No checks or anything.

They're for protection from the rain. No copper wants to get wet.

19 hours ago, ExpatDraco said:

The last few days a lot of tents have been setup for (undoubtedly) Covid in and around Pattaya. But what is their purpose? I only see the people (police and health care workers?) in there looking at their smartphones... No checks or anything.

Smart phone screens are difficult to see in the bright sunlight so the tents are there to provide shade and make it easier to 'surf the net'.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Kerryd said:

tourists there are usually quite dirty to be honest

• Confused 1

On 1/3/2021 at 5:42 AM, ExpatDraco said:

Forward planning. If an illegal killing takes place inside the tent, forensics  can get to work right away without delay. Also reduces glare on their phone screens assisting essential Facebook communication. Don't  knock it.