Driving license tests suspended in Thailand

Jonathan Fairfield

Driving license tests suspended in Thailand

1565774189-1560850484-conduire-thailande-news-item-slider-news_item_slider-t1565774189.jpg

Thailand’s Department of Land Transport has announced that driver license training and testing will be suspended nationwide until further notice, as a precautionary measure against  the spread of COVID-19.

Other services are still available such as applying for a replacement license or a 5 year driver's license. 

Anyone affected is urged to contact their local DLT office first for the latest provincial information with regards to opening and the services available.

The announcement in Thai can be found below:

driverslicense.jpg

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-01-03

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Dagfinnur Traustason said:

That´s 100% irrelevant:

• What training?
  • Value of a Thai driving license?
  • Punishment for driving without license? (500-1 000 baht?)

????????????????????????????

Well one benefit is that if you're in an accident and the other party is wrong:  Your driving without a license puts you in the wrong as well.   And depending on how 'awesome' the accident is, that could be pretty 'relevant.'   Similar to how frequently one sees accidents here where people who were driving drunk minding their own business and staying in their lane get involved in accidents where the other party is in the wrong, but have to flee the scene themselves anyway.   ????  

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

That will not make any difference, most folk will just keep on driving, with or without license.????????????????????

It seems to be the case.. a year ago my daughter was in an accident with a motorcycle.. his fault.. no drivers license.. no insurance.. alcohol on his breath.. A friends wife has been involved in 2 accidents one recently.. one a year ago..once with a motorcycle.. once with another car ..(overtaking on the inside motorcycle lane!)  .. again both times no license or insurance... and not her fault... on and on it goes.. ????

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mark5335 said:

Yes good to have got it done last week. However, the remark that "Other services are still available such as applying for a replacement license or a 5 year driver's license" indicates that (some?) DLT offices may still be processing renewals, since a 5 yr licence is a renewal (although involving limited physical tests). I will try to clarify directly tomorrow as my 5 yr renewal is due next week.

I read somewhere that they weren't doing walk ins now (Pattaya), but worth double checking 

She's got too clear a view of the road in the pic' .. needs some good luckee charms and flowers hanging from the mirror and furry hello kitty's along the dashboard .. and she's gripping the wheel like one might grip a sausage .. she needs to chill and relax abit .. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

I went there last month trying to renew my driving license before it expired (2 year to 5 years).

Was told I needed to do the full 2 day test again and needed a letter from immigration to do so. Neither of these were required for the 2 year license.

Won’t be trying again, easier just to drive without a license 

Last year it was very straight forward for me to go from 2 year to 5 year for bike and car.The Phetchaburi office have an info board outside listing what you need. After running about getting the required documentation and two photo copies of everything ,it was just a peripheral vision test and a reaction test then go and wait for my licences to be printed.

The biggest chore was waiting at immigration for my residency certs.

20191124_132755.jpg

20 hours ago, colinneil said:

That will not make any difference, most folk will just keep on driving, with or without license.????????????????????

Correct Col You think the Thai will give a hoot about this Most will just keep on driving with out a license

• Like 2

19 hours ago, mark5335 said:

Yes good to have got it done last week. However, the remark that "Other services are still available such as applying for a replacement license or a 5 year driver's license" indicates that (some?) DLT offices may still be processing renewals, since a 5 yr licence is a renewal (although involving limited physical tests). I will try to clarify directly tomorrow as my 5 yr renewal is due next week.

Edited 19 hours ago by mark5335

Good luck with that, I went for a renewal from 2 to 5yrs this morning, but was turned away

13 hours ago, WHansen said:

Last year it was very straight forward for me to go from 2 year to 5 year for bike and car.The Phetchaburi office have an info board outside listing what you need. After running about getting the required documentation and two photo copies of everything ,it was just a peripheral vision test and a reaction test then go and wait for my licences to be printed.

The biggest chore was waiting at immigration for my residency certs.

20191124_132755.jpg

Just shows it isn't just Immigration that make up their own rules. I recently transferred from a 2 year to 5 year and had to complete 2.1, 2.2 and 2.3 of the main test but not reaction test ( I presume the equipment didn't work).

On the colour blindness I new red was see daeng and green was see kheio, but didn't used see som for amber ( which technically is between red and yellow). The 'tester' didn't approve of this but was happy with the motor bike taxi guy a few minutes later constantly shouting see daeng no matter which  colour was displayed. Surprised he didn't think all the lights were green.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Is this real said:

It would be very helpful if Thaivisa had a website that actually answered questions accurately.  Most current posts are either just wise-<deleted> or inaccurate.

UBON JOE answers/replies......and all info is very useful.......and HELPFUL......your post is uncalled for......if you NOT LIKE tv then why are you on it ??????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Is this real said:

It would be very helpful if Thaivisa had a website that actually answered questions accurately.  Most current posts are either just wise-<deleted> or inaccurate.

Happy New Year.........????

• Haha 2

You avin a bad day dear?????????????

Take a chill pill, relax, and stop posting nonsense.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think the big question is :     How would YOU know if an answer is accurate or not ???

I give accurate answers all the time.    Then they are followed by lots and lots of opposite answers.

• Like 1