Grease slammed as ‘rapey, racist and homophobic and should never be shown on TV again’

snoop1130

6 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

They were on cable marathon lately. Moneypenny  was the innocent part.

Cringe worthy actors in "Yellow face".  See a suspicious photographer? Grab her threaten to break her arm. Every person with black skin servile or criminal.

Double cross a lady agent? Have sex with her first, no suggestion of "protection",

then maybe kill her.  The ongoing theme England saving the world from devious criminals and USSR despite the bumbling efforts of the CIA by dry martini swilling cad with a cigarette.

Do you realise the character was created almost 70 years ago when all that was allowed, even promoted?  They are movies and provided escapism and entertainment to the masses, even if some nowadays choose to be offended.  The actions of those offended nowadays may offend cultural norms in 70 years time but that won't change anything and I bet they're quite rightly not losing any sleep about it.  It's part of life.

• Like 1

I'll rewatch it again some time, same as I do with many other historical movies, time permitting.

I couldn't care less what "woke" people now think about movies from a long time ago. For better or worse, they weren't around when those movies were made. If you don't like them, just don't watch them, easy!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, impulse said:

C'mon.  Admit it. 

Okay, I'll be the first.  I got a chubby at Olivia Newton John in the leathers...

Oops.  Am I allowed to say that?

Apparently the wardrobe people had to stitch her into those leathers, Olivia Neutron Bomb, I'd have married her in a heart beat, wasn't she in that movie Never ending hardon ????????

12 hours ago, treetops said:

Do you realise the character was created almost 70 years ago when all that was allowed, even promoted?  They are movies and provided escapism and entertainment to the masses, even if some nowadays choose to be offended.  The actions of those offended nowadays may offend cultural norms in 70 years time but that won't change anything and I bet they're quite rightly not losing any sleep about it.  It's part of life.

Still doesn't explain why the studio couldn't find a pretty Asian actress in Hong Kong or  elsewhere and instead dress a white actresses in yellowface.

2 hours ago, Captain Monday said:
15 hours ago, treetops said:

Still doesn't explain why the studio couldn't find a pretty Asian actress in Hong Kong or  elsewhere and instead dress a white actresses in yellowface.

Still doesn't explain why this is an issue though. All this [insert color here]face nonsense and it's more insidious cultural assimilation malarkey.

How about an American-born "Australian" playing the part of a Scottish Freedummmmmmmmmm!!! fighter in blueface?

7 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

They probably could have, but it didn't matter and nobody cared.