Tahitian Queen closed down.

Natai Beach

30 minutes ago, Darksidedude said:

ahh well just saying what im hearing man 

And not bothering to do the slightest reality check before jumping to spread a false rumor. You didn't even know if the Gofundme was still up or not, having not bothered to look. 

Get new sources, try to be less gullible and not duly repeat everything you hear w/o thinking. Thank you.  

8 hours ago, sungod said:

Wasn't happy paying go go bar prices and seeing old beer bar chicks.

The prices in many beer bars are not far behind.... and for your money you get an overdressed old chick and a foot of bar between you. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sungod said:

Yes thanks, however seeing the line up I started going there less. Wasn't happy paying go go bar prices and seeing old beer bar chicks.

Nonsense. B60 baht/beer is what you'd normally pay in a beer bar. I paid 70 yesterday in Shamrock. 'Course, it's draft and that's happy hour, which seems to have been extended lately. But a 90 baht regularly is peanuts and low for a go-go. In the touted Dollhouse I paid nearly twice as much for a far less enjoyable experience, despite the younger girls. (The clothed and unclothed sets rotate, BTW.) 

TQ's also about the music, played at reasonable volumes thru the JBLs, vids, history, and laid-back biker dive atmosphere. If you don't appreciate that as well, then might better ride your Fino over to the headache-inducing, slick, unfriendly, overpriced go-gos--at night, when they're open.???? Me, I think in terms of both/and.

I'd estimate the average age of the TQ ladies at 26, hardly old wrecked beer bar chicks. Met a super hot 19-year-old a few months back, but in a post above I made a case for the older but still quite attractive ladies who can be really fun once you get to know them a bit. I always have some laughs. Again, if you can't do that, then you may be happier elsewhere.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

Nonsense. B60 baht/beer is what you'd normally pay in a beer bar. I paid 70 yesterday in Shamrock. 'Course, it's draft and that's happy hour, which seems to have been extended lately. But a 90 baht regularly is peanuts and low for a go-go. In the touted Dollhouse I paid nearly twice as much for a far less enjoyable experience, despite the younger girls. (The clothed and unclothed sets rotate, BTW.) 

TQ's also about the music, played at reasonable volumes thru the JBLs, vids, history, and laid-back biker dive atmosphere. If you don't appreciate that as well, then might better ride your Fino over to the headache-inducing, slick, unfriendly, overpriced go-gos--at night, when they're open.???? Me, I think in terms of both/and.

I'd estimate the average age of the TQ ladies at 26, hardly old wrecked beer bar chicks. Met a super hot 19-year-old a few months back, but in a post above I made a case for the older but still quite attractive ladies who can be really fun once you get to know them a bit. I always have some laughs. Again, if you can't do that, then you may be happier elsewhere.

Thanks for the history lesson, first stepped through the door in 1987. Was the best bar in town for many years, but even before covid it was dying a slow death.  You would have thought TQ would have been the bar to survive with its local clientele, however I see many former regulars around other places now with better line ups and realistic prices. Punters vote with feet.

On 2/4/2021 at 4:57 AM, jacko45k said:

The prices in many beer bars are not far behind.... and for your money you get an overdressed old chick and a foot of bar between you. 

And the heat, dust, mosquitos, motorbike noise and fumes, and a lousy Thai DJ for the complex, plus, paying for the privilege of using a filthy toilet.     

Post covid, unless beer bars start charging less, to reflect their lower service and facilities, their days are numbered.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/4/2021 at 12:15 AM, BigStar said:

TBH, the only redeeming value of TQ is the hard rock music from the 70s and 80s, and the "ambiance" of another time, despite the expensive beer priced at the time ????

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Leaver said:

And the heat, dust, mosquitos, motorbike noise and fumes, and a lousy Thai DJ for the complex, plus, paying for the privilege of using a filthy toilet.     

Post covid, unless beer bars start charging less, to reflect their lower service and facilities, their days are numbered.  

I recall some offered a pool table but not really my thing. Some customers seemed very 'keen' though. 

On 2/4/2021 at 1:53 PM, sungod said:

Thanks for the history lesson, first stepped through the door in 1987.

OK, what we gonna do in your memory when TQ reopens is play Jethro Tull's "To Old To Rock 'n' Roll, Too Young To Die."

On 2/4/2021 at 1:53 PM, sungod said:

Was the best bar in town for many years, but even before covid it was dying a slow death.  You would have thought TQ would have been the bar to survive with its local clientele, however I see many former regulars around other places now with better line ups and realistic prices. Punters vote with feet.

As has been repeated here ad nauseam, patronage was down across the board in farang-owned establishments pre-COVID, as the tourist demographics have changed markedly in the past few years.

And it was doing far more than surviving: it was doing quite well, considering. One encouraging sign was the number of younger tourists coming in, partly attracted by the music. Though Radiohead may have killed rock 'n' roll, if you take a look at youtube comments under old rock tunes, you'll see quite a bit of interest from kids introduced to it by their dads. Right on!

TQ regulars have always gone to other bars as well. I certainly have. Try to get out this decrepit either/or thinking, man: get back to the future with both/and. Now, truth is, you haven't surveyed all those TQ regulars to confirm, "Oh, we don't EVER go to TQ anymore!" Ha. We got ace TVF Economists here specializing in Scientifically Surveying a few people all day long to reach Universal General Predictions, and even they ain't been interested.

The TQ lineup has been about the same since forever in comparison to, say, the Thai-owned WS bars. There's always been TQ vs a Happy Go-Go, except Happy ain't reopening. Post-COVID, as noted, the TQ lineup's definitely improved and is good 'nuff in the overall context, which either you like or think you don't until you acquire (or reacquire) a certain taste.???? Jeez, I remember the first time I had a Guiness in a bar on Haight St. GAG! Tasted like road tar. A few pints later . . . ah-h-h.

As all your points--cost (I paid 80 baht yesterday for a beer in Five Star Bar on Beach Rd.), boycotts, undesirable wimmin, downhill progress, no regulars--have been refuted, obviously what you really want to do is merely troll TQ. Nothing new there, either, been going on for decades by the disaffected. Nobody's sayin' TQ's paradise and the ONLY place to go in town. It does have its niche appeal ongoing, however. Daytime is playtime.???? 

Post lockdown #2, though, hmm. Like so many places--NOT just bars--TQ's success depended on tourists and crucially upon Western tourists. The Gofundme response proves an abiding serious interest in keeping it open, but whether even with drastic cost reductions it can make it all the way to Thailand's lifting of tourist entry restrictions is a question. Again (and again), we'll see.

Edited by BigStar
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

As has been repeated here ad nauseam, patronage was down across the board in farang-owned establishments pre-COVID, as the tourist demographics have changed markedly in the past few years.

And it was doing far more than surviving: it was doing quite well, considering.

Would you really be so complimentary of other bars that were doing quite well, but went begging for money to re-open?

On 2/3/2021 at 7:22 AM, sungod said:
On 2/2/2021 at 10:32 PM, TaaSaparot said:

Rumour has it TQ re-opens on the 12th of Feb.

Yep, heard the same. Hopefully this short closure will allow they to clear out the girls who have been there since 1978 with younger versions.

You'll have more success rubbing a Beach Road tree trunk for a winning lottery number.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I'm glass half full.  Just calling it as I see it.

You don't get the irony of that do you?..If you are not enjoying your life here why don't you return to Australia to see a 'full glass'?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

They weren't tourists. Those were the famous Norwegian diaspora's day-time blow your megapension parties. They used to hog all the top-end booths, nearer the toilet and all the sweetest and freshest daytime 'fruit' would be draping themselves all over them for ladies drinks between intermittent pole shuffles. All this while the poorer long-term resident farangs sat at the opposite end, under the Kiniaow Corner sign, grumbling about the noisy Norwegian two-week millionaires and hoping to spin out their flat beer until crew change time when their favorite saggy and wrinkly grope-a-granny would take over the stage.

Did something bad happen to you there?

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Nout said:

You don't get the irony of that do you?..If you are not enjoying your life here why don't you return to Australia to see a 'full glass'?

I enjoy living here.  The main reason I chose Pattaya was the nightlife, which is not so great at the moment, but then again, neither is anywhere else, but there's still some fun to be had here.

I have worked in Australia, but I'm from the UK, and whilst I may visit, I have no intention of residing back there.  

I thought it was partly everything that was wrong with Pattaya IMHO. Saying that OBVIOUSLY I am not in Pattaya's demographic. It's a city in search of it new meaning whilst its old meaning is under attack from many angles but appeals to many still. Live and let live.

1 hour ago, TaaSaparot said:

Would you really be so complimentary of other bars that were doing quite well, but went begging for money to re-open?

Two Complex Question fallacies make for a meaningless question. I'm not being complimentary re: number of patrons pre-COVID but rather stating the reality of the situation with an objective perspective. I'm sure the same reality held true for other bars, restos, and hotels.

Nor does TQ's Gofundme started by an owner's daughter for the survival of her dad's business represent "begging" or even charity. That's merely the usual, and inevitable, distorted troll perspective, esp from one too poor, too cheap, or too selfish. "Charity" represents pure altruism with no expectation of personal reward. This Gofundme, however,  represents an opportunity for fans of TQ to invest in the hope--as guarantees are out of the question nowadays--of a return for themselves, namely a reopening of TQ that they may again enjoy.

It's exactly the same as with a historic bar in ATL whose Gofundme raised about $160,000, to name one example. Patrons want it reopened so they can eat, drink, and socialize in that particular place again. The owners ain't really making anything off of all this: they're using the proceeds for expenses. 

Be absolutely fine with me if Gofundme pages were started for other establishments and former patrons contributed towards a hope of reopening of a business they once enjoyed. If they don't reopen in the future, perhaps they might have, at least for a while.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Two Complex Question fallacies make for a meaningless question. I'm not being complimentary re: number of patrons pre-COVID but rather stating the reality of the situation with an objective perspective. I'm sure the same reality held true for other bars, restos, and hotels.

Nor does TQ's Gofundme started by an owner's daughter for the survival of her dad's business represent "begging" or even charity. That's merely the usual, and inevitable, distorted troll perspective, esp from one too poor, too cheap, or too selfish. "Charity" represents pure altruism with no expectation of personal reward. This Gofundme, however,  represents an opportunity for fans of TQ to invest in the hope--as guarantees are out of the question nowadays--of a return for themselves, namely a reopening of TQ that they may again enjoy.

It's exactly the same as with a historic bar in ATL whose Gofundme raised about $160,000, to name one example. Patrons want it reopened so they can eat, drink, and socialize in that particular place again. The owners ain't really making anything off of all this: they're using the proceeds for expenses. 

Be absolutely fine with me if Gofundme pages were started for other establishments and former patrons contributed towards a hope of reopening of a business they once enjoyed. If they don't reopen in the future, perhaps they might have, at least for a while.

Good idea but does it have to be for the whole bar or can it be just for Ploy at KINK on LK Metro?

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:
1 hour ago, Nout said:

Did something bad happen to you there?

Aren't you paying attention? He med his first wife there...

Point of order needed. I did go back and correct the post to indicate she was my first ex-wife.

14 hours ago, BigStar said:

Have Arcadia opened a GoFundme page? Many must be fans of Topshop, Burton and Dorothy Perkins and wanting to make sure Sir Philip Green can afford to  keep his yacht.