USA Citizens in Bangkok: Did you get your stimulus check in the mail?

ricklev

I just used the IRS tool "Get my Payment"  https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment  and learned my check will be mailed on the 6th of this month.  I got the first one through the snap of my postman and condo front desk staff since the IRS address system deemed my condo room number and full street address not needed due to too damn many letters and numbers for them to handle.  

Please post here if you get yours so I can ask the postman and staff to keep a lookout around the right time.  

Thanks.

26 minutes ago, ricklev said:

I just used the IRS tool "Get my Payment"  https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment  and learned my check will be mailed on the 6th of this month.  I got the first one through the snap of my postman and condo front desk staff since the IRS address system deemed my condo room number and full street address not needed due to too damn many letters and numbers for them to handle.  

Please post here if you get yours so I can ask the postman and staff to keep a lookout around the right time.  

Thanks.

For one of the most supposedly technologically advanced nations in the world, why doesn't the USA IRS simply do an electronic payment? Was that not an option? So much chance of incoming mail getting lost/diverted here in Thailand.

In the UK, cheques as we call them, are virtually non-existent these days and nothing but a hassle. I've been getting my self employment grants paid direct by HMRC to my UK account. Then it's simply a quick transfer by TransferWise to here in Thailand.

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Like 2

No direct bank deposit for me as I did not provide an account on my 2019 return or any previous returns because I had no refund and there was no way to add one for the $1200 check.  

Edited by ricklev
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, ricklev said:

No direct bank deposit for me as I did not provide an account on my 2019 return or any previous returns because I had no refund and there was no way to add one for the $1200 check.  

I get a fair amount of mail from the US.  Some things just can't be done via email, and some US agencies, are acting like it's 1960.

I've found a wide variance in how long it takes to get a letter.  But rarely is it less than about a month.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

I get a fair amount of mail from the US.  Some things just can't be done via email, and some US agencies, are acting like it's 1960.

I've found a wide variance in how long it takes to get a letter.  But rarely is it less than about a month.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think for the last check they shipped them to the US embassy in bulk  and they turned them over to the Thai post office.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

They do if you give them a US bank account number.

Got mine late Monday into my Bangkok Bank account via their New York branch.

Just curious.  Are you still getting ACH transfers.  I thought that was long gone?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

they have my Thailand Bkk bank account (whereby I receive my retirement) and yet they still send a check that took 3 months to get here

22 hours ago, ubonjoe said:
22 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

For one of the most supposedly technologically advanced nations in the world, why doesn't the USA IRS simply do an electronic payment?

I received both stimulus "checks" via direct deposit, the $600 on 1 January. I suggest filing your taxes electronically. Save paper, get such checks quickly.

• Like 2

I have received both of my "stimulus" payments electronically, as I receive my social security electronically via Bkk Bank, NYC. 

But my (Thai) wife has not received anything yet. We have been married a long time already, and she is a US citizen. 

Q: who can we write to about this? (relavent US govt agency contact info please) And yes, I have tried to find out online without much success. 

11 minutes ago, chicowoodduck said:

Stimulus check from the US govt.?  Hold the phone, my check was in my bank early on the 4th of January.....now the fun really starts....????????????????????????????

1C06C9FC-B833-4EFB-8EC0-8ECFD54C189A.jpeg

$2400 ? For you and your 3 Wives ?

Edited by tonray
  • Haha 1

I file by paper due to claiming the tax exemption of the Treaty of Amity.

For the first stimulus, I received a letter telling me they were sending me a debit card for the amount.  The debit card never arrived.  I suspect the Thai postal service felt a card in the envelope and absconded with it.

I have not received any notification for the second payment.

Using the IRS lookup web site is tricky because you have to enter the street address *they have in their system*, which can be nothing like what you would expect due to the different nature of our addresses here.

I connected my Bangkok Bank account to my Social Security Direct Deposit when it was first allowed/offered. When the stimulus check was authorized all information I saw in numerous articles was that the IRS could not /would not make a direct deposit in a foreign bank. Surprise, about 2 months after the first stimulus began to be sent out, I received it via direct deposit into the same account as  my Social Security . I filled out NO form or request. This time I got the second "Stimulus"  just 2 HOURS after my monthly SSA on the 4th of January. YMMV.

It took four months for me to get the first one via direct deposit to my Wells Fargo account - the same way I get my SS - but the second one was directly deposited to the same Wells Fargo account on January 1, 2021.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jhawks09 said:

I connected my Bangkok Bank account to my Social Security Direct Deposit when it was first allowed/offered. When the stimulus check was authorized all information I saw in numerous articles was that the IRS could not /would not make a direct deposit in a foreign bank. Surprise, about 2 months after the first stimulus began to be sent out, I received it via direct deposit into the same account as  my Social Security . I filled out NO form or request. This time I got the second "Stimulus"  just 2 HOURS after my monthly SSA on the 4th of January. YMMV.

My current account is a direct deposit account . I switched from an account that went through the BBK Bank branch in New York which required me to withdraw funds directly in person. The DD account allows me to use a ATM/Debit card. Recommend any one to switch . You need to set-up new account, no more withdrawal in person.

• Like 1

Like the OP, the IRS does not have my bank account details since my estimated quarterly taxes were a bit low and I had to pay when I filed my 1040 instead of getting a refund. You can only add your bank details on your 1040 if you are getting a refund. 

My first stimulus check was mailed on May 15 and it took a bit over 2 months to arrive - granted that was when there were few international flights into Thailand due to Covid so airmail was delayed. Typically, mail from the US takes between 2 and 3 weeks to arrive. 

This new $600 check was supposedly mailed yesterday so I'll begin to watch for it beginning on January 20. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, ricklev said:

Same here. Bit more complicated, finally received the $1200 check via ThaiPost. We will see about the $600.00 check. 1. IRS ... we mailed a check in May. 2. Have to put on a trace. 3. Not found re-issued check. 4. Arrived December. why as I am on Direct Deposit ... because SS did not send IRS DD bank numbers. OK, can you enter that information now? IRS ... no can do. But, you can enter bank info on IRS website ... but, they say I have not filled out the correct info ... They have the correct address now ... let us see if it comes to me here in Chiang Mai.

• Like 1

In my case the IRS used the Direct Deposit account settings I have for my monthly Social Security.  I can't imagine why anyone would still use a paper check sent by Snail Mail. My American friends all do about the same. I have my money auto forwarded from my USA bank by TransferWise Borderless ... It is all quite seamless, informative, reliable and plenty quick enough. 

• Like 1

On 1/6/2021 at 9:46 AM, ubonjoe said:

Got mine on 1 January (pending), but cleared on 4 January. @soi3eddie, it's not the system. It's how much info people allow it to have (although one day soon we may not be given a choice).

On 1/6/2021 at 9:15 AM, ricklev said:

My son's comes by snail mail since he's never had to pay tax and they don't have his bank info at the treasury dept. If I see it, when it comes, I'll try and remember to post here. It took a while last year.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

My son's comes by snail mail since he's never had to pay tax and they don't have his bank info at the treasury dept. If I see it, when it comes, I'll try and remember to post here. It took a while last year.

There was a website setup by the Treasury to input your details.  No reason not dothat instead of waiting for paper check